Steam News & Updates Thread

Steamz and moar.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Steam News & Updates Thread

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Last month, word got out about an impending update to Steam's client interface, and today that update has finally rolled out. If you open up Steam now, you'll notice that it looks a little different, with a lot more happening on the left column, and cleaner, more targeted recommendations in the centre.

The left column lists most categories you'll ever be inclined to browse: recommendations by friends and curators take pride of place at the top, with the former leading to a chart organised by playing time. That column then lists genres and "your tags", meaning tags applied to games you regularly play.

The centre column is a bit more flexible and informative: now each item in the carousel shows a number of screenshots as well as its tags, and if you want to add an item to your wishlist or smite it from your interests list, you only need to hover over the top righthand corner of the key art. Meanwhile, special offers are given better real estate. Friends Activity, Discovery Queue and Curator Recommendations run beneath the fold, followed by "recently updated" and then the good 'ol tabbed list of popular new releases, top sellers and more.

One of the most useful features is the ability to filter out material from the carousel and front page. In other words, hit the (initially invisible) blue button in the top righthand corner of the key art, hit "preferences" and you'll have a flexible options list – including the freedom to filter tags out, among other things.

http://www.pcgamer.com/steams-storefron ... erability/

Looks pretty good. Have already filtered VR, bullet-hell and MOBA out of my store page...
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:29 pm

I wish they had put the Browse Steam buttons at the top, feel you should more easily be able to get to the new releases.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:31 am

Tried out the Steam link yesterday when a friend brought one over. 3 hours of testing it with various games and I caved and ordered one along with the controller. For £15 it's quite a steal, though I didn't get a chance to try the pad out so hopefully it'll be pretty reliable for games that lack conventional controller support.

The only thing it doesn't really work with is fast paced shooters like CS or Overwatch. The latency is slightly too jarring and you get completely wrecked by people because a controller just does not compare to m&k.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:43 am

Top selling 100 games on Steam in 2016 by gross revenue.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2016_top_sellers/

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Apparently that doesn't include all the refunds a certain game had ¬_¬
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:32 pm

SteamSpy have released their stats for 2016.

One of the big things to take away from those stats is how much of a difference the shift to £50/£40 games on Steam has made. Civ 6, Dark Souls 3 and No Man's Sky all sold at the top end and all took in a lot of money. Dark Souls 3 sold less than Doom, but made more money and NMS sold less than a million and still made a ton of money.

Personally I haven't liked how big games are looking to charge £45+ now, but it doesn't appear to have effected sales numbers.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:50 pm

The £45+ price point has pretty much pushed me off Steam completely for any new purchases. I only ever buy things during big sales at 50%+ discounts now, and usually when there's a GOTY/Complete Edition available with all the DLC.

On the odd occasion that I do buy a title on release it's usually CDKeys that gets my money, they rarely go above £35 on release and have usually dropped down to the 20s within a month.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:53 pm

Yeah I steer clear of AAA titles on Steam itself.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Same as you guys, really. Last game I put that kind of money down on (and I think it was in the 30s rather than 40s) was Witcher 3 pre-order, and did that through GOG in any case.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:58 pm

Ha I did the exact same, although I was getting a discount due to having the first tow games so it was around 33 I think.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:00 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Ha I did the exact same, although I was getting a discount due to having the first tow games so it was around 33 I think.

Yeah, something like that. I think they also gave me both GOTY editions of NWN1 and 2 included in that as well, come to think of it!
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Yes sure the pre order on GOG was low 30s.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:04 am

Is that an all time list or did GTA V sell another 2,300,000 copies last year?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:55 am

It's just for 2016, GTA VI did indeed sell another 2.3 million copies this year. However like CS:GO I think some of it is cheaters buying the game again on a new account as the Online portion of the game is very popular.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:53 pm

General masses got to have the game on day one no matter the price :P
Formerly MrAnnoyed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group