Favourite Game

Steamz and moar.
Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:21 pm

I'm very sorry that I didn't play Deus Ex back in the day. I gave it a quick bash a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it. It has aged very badly. And the longer I wait, the worse it will seem. I think I'll just have to accept it as 'a classic I missed'. :(

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:54 pm

Weird, I played it for the first time about a year ago and it was truly amazing, one of my favourite games by far. The age definitely didn't put me off. Give it another try, once you get into it...

Paul

Postby Paul » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:10 pm

Hmm :-k

I think my favourite all time game would have to be the original Tomb Raider. Playing through it on my Saturn was an absolute joy. I was only about 11 / 12 back then too so it used to scare the hell out of me :lol:

Coming a very close second would have to be Thief: The Dark Project. To this day I have never had the pleasure of playing such an immersive game; the atmosphere was absolutely spot on. It also has to be one of the scariest games I've ever played (alongside SS2 and Clive Barker's Undying).

Multiplayer wise it has to be Tribes 2 - pure, undiluted awesomeness.

Other games worth mentioning are KoTOR (awesome plot), Crysis and Portal. Oh and WoW... even if it did steal my social life from me. Incredible lack of self discipline ftl :(

[EDIT] And Deus Ex, which was completely and utterly brilliant.

cHeal

Postby cHeal » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Pew-Pew wrote:Weird, I played it for the first time about a year ago and it was truly amazing, one of my favourite games by far. The age definitely didn't put me off. Give it another try, once you get into it...

I'd have to agree with him. It just looks bloody atrocious. I'd sooner play System Shock 2, much nicer looking.

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:50 pm

I don't even think Deus Ex looked very good when it came out. It was done in the Unreal engine, 2 years after Unreal had hit the shelves.

Despite this I could only play the game first time through in software mode as our PC had no dedicated graphics card. Didn't spoil it one bit, if you're going to play a game for it's graphics then Deus Ex won't be your type of game anyway.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:31 pm

There are updated renderers and texture packs you can download for deus ex as well as a high resolution UI which helps make it alot more playable. It's never going to look good but it makes it look alot less terrible. :)

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:57 pm

I got past the looks straight away. Hell, I think I'd just played FEAR or something at the time, and it's hard to have a much more different look.

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Interesting. I shall look into texture packs and the like... at some point this summer. :)

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm

Imo DX is beautiful. It doesn't have all the polygons and fancy lighting of a modern game, and when you take a step back it's definately only "functional" but I've never played a game that can make you feel such a sense of place. The levels are tiny compared to today but they were great.

The more open bits like NY, HK, and Paris were the best.

I sort of cheated right through. At the very start I set all the skills to "master", I'm basically superhuman why wouldn't I act like one? So it opened up the game a lot more. It was so good to equip a baton, jump through the air and knock a guy out and as his pal turns round you blast him with a shotgun, duck behind a crate and when a third guy comes you calmly walk up behind him and electrocute him. All within the space of about five seconds.

Stormbringer

Re: Favourite Game

Postby Stormbringer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:43 am

MEGABUMP!

My favourite game of all time is...probably Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I was about eleven when I bought it in 1995 -- the first PC game I ever owned. I loved the story, the graphics, the clever puzzles, the music and the sense of adventure. It's really stood up to the test of time as well. Looking back through LucasArts' 1990s adventure game catalogue, sometimes I wonder how I enjoyed them all so much in my teenage years. I guess I've outgrown the quirky humour? Fate of Atlantis, however, is just beautiful. I'm very happy to see that it's now available for the whole world to enjoy at GOG.com.

A close rival is the original Prince of Persia. A friend introduced me to it on his PC way back in 1992 (I think) and I was in love straight away. I downloaded a copy from an Abandonware site some years ago and if I'm ever at my PC and feel like playing a game, it's probably my first choice! I've played it through about a dozen times with my young boys and they absolutely love it.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:19 pm

I think that's got to be the biggest bump we've ever had. Not sure whether to chastise or congratulate.

8 years later and it seems my opinion hasn't changed much. Though I'd add the Dark Souls franchise to the top of the list now.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Mantis wrote:Not sure whether to chastise or congratulate.

Congratulate of course! I was tempted to bump some threads from 2005 too, but then I realised I said some pretty embarrassing things in them. ¬_¬
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:07 pm

Witcher 3. Has set a new bar for me, and not only for RPGs. Simply the best video game I have ever played.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:05 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Witcher 3. Has set a new bar for me, and not only for RPGs. Simply the best video game I have ever played.

Gets my vote also. Nothing else comes close.

Northernlights

Postby Northernlights » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:15 pm

For right now I would say F.E.A.R. I love old school PC games.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group