The Free Games / DOSBox Thread

Steamz and moar.
Plant

The Free Games / DOSBox Thread

Postby Plant » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:57 pm

A while back I started a thread not unlike this but it disappeared a bit. Fancied giving it another go, as I thought a big list of brilliant and completely free games is worth having. There's a list lower in this post of a number of freeware games and their locations. I'll mix in everything from the old thread, too.

I'm looking round for some select games to save you lazy bastards finding them yourselves, so a lot of them won't have blurbs, as I am hoping to sleep at some point tonight.

I'll begin by reintroducing DOSBox, for those of us who have been living under a gaming rock for the past couple of years.

DOSBox

DOSbox is, quite simply, a DOS emulator. The beauty of it is that it's available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS, and it'll run any DOS game you can get your hands on. Get it here:

http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

Once you've downloaded DOSBox, it's pretty straightforward to get it up and running with a game.

Note - When running DOSBox if you experience lag or freeze-ups (which you will on certain games), you can increase the program's CPU usage incrementally with ctrl+F12. Try 8000+ for most games.

To run a game:
- Download your game and put the game's folder into the DOSBox folder (just for organisation's sake)
- Make sure the route to the game's executable has no spaces, to make things easier.
- Mount the folder with your game's executable on an emulated C drive (or any other drive, as long as you're consistent) with the "mount" command, then navigate to the drive and run the executable. eg:

Z:\> mount c c:\dosbox\monkeyisland (or /applications/dosbox/monkeyisland)
Z:\> c:
C:\> monkey

Et voila, the game begins. Obviously, you can use this to run any setup programs and whatnot, too. Savegames will be retained as long as you mount the same drive.

Regarding the games: There are a number of classic games, mainly adventurers in the Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Day of the Tentacle and Simon the Sorceror vein that should be on the list but aren't, as they were never actually released as freeware/abandonware. Use your usual sources to get at these and run them in DOSBox.

zDoom
zDoom is specifically designed to run Doom engine games, with all sorts of increased compatibility and whatnot:

Rook wrote:zDoom is a program specifically designed for running Doom (and Doom-engined games like Strife, Heretic, Hexen, etc) on modern operating systems - a source port. It's very useful for running Doom because unlike DOSbox, it allows you to do various clever things with the game including enabling jumping, mouselook, and other 21st century mod cons

No instructions on this one from me, but it can't be too difficult if Rook managed it.

The Games

Action:

Doom (DOSBox, zDoom)
This is the shareware version of the classic, allowing you the first chapter. Since I can't find anywhere allowing purchase of the full version (even id don't seem to sell it any more) I'll advertise the replacement DOOM.wad and DOOM2.wad, which each give you the rest of the levels for their respective games - Get in touch via PM/MSN if you want them. There's a Win95 version too, but it's buggy, so you're better off with DOSBox.

Tyrian 2000 (DOSBox)
It's a top-down scrolling shooter. You move a wee ship around the screen and shoot things while avoiding incoming fire and picking up bonus items (including plot elements and occasionally adverts for fictional products). Your score becomes funds for upgrades between levels, allowing your fighter-craft to explode less often and carry more firepower than the battleships seen in episode 3.

Mount & Blade
Fantastic freeform medieval RPG. Sword-swinging, horse-riding, peasant-bullying, castle-sieging, cattle-ranching, goods-selling, war-fighting, village-razing, army-raising, arena-fighting, lance-couching, prisoner-trading, errand-running, jolly-ruddy good fun.

Transcendence
Top down 2D space game, large and free-form, trade or kill to make money, whilst slowly making your way to the galactic core. Decent and fun free game.

Lemming Ball Z!
2D beat-em, with lemmings in dragonballZ. Much terrain destruction and random lemmings looking constipated as they start glowing gold before popping huge potions of the map with balls of energy.

Enemy_Territory
I need ammo! I need a medic! Destroy the generator! :o

Abuse (DOSBox, Windows)

Double Dragon II (DOSBox, Windows)

MDK (DOSBox, Windows)

Prince of Persia (DOSBox, Windows)

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (DOSBox)

Little Fighter 2 (Windows, ?)
Still after all this time, the very best beat em up/2D figher on the PC. Hell, it rivals most of the big name arcade games too. Running around punching fireballs back at the tosser (guffaw!), pulling off awesome specials etc.. It gets even better with 4 players! This is the kind of game that could make a killing on XBLA. Fecking superb game it is.
Get a Xbox wireless reciever + 4 pads. Hook your PC up to you telly and get the mates round. Fantastic! Theres also www.littlefighteronline.com, but its all in oriental scrawl >_< Theres an english option but it dosnt work, and hasnt since the site went live years ago

Strife (DOSBox, zDoom)
This was released way back in 1996 and runs on the then-dated Doom engine. A hugely influential shooter with light RPG elements, you'll notice that there is a huge list of games that ripped off its ideas while this game rots in relative obscurity. Find my review of it here

GTA, GTA2 and Wild Metal
A few years back R* saw fit to give a few of their games away as freebies - firstly the first two PC-focused instalments in the now-huge GTA series - GTA and GTA 2 - and also Wild Metal Country. Unfortunately the latter apparently got panned by critics so it might be best to stick with wanton murder.

Adventure

Beneath a Steel Sky (DOSBox, Windows)
This game is awesome. Probably my favourite freeware adventure game at the moment. Probably because it never used to be freeware.

Out of Order (Windows, ?)
A beautifully drawn adventure game with some nice puzzles. Does a good job of breaking some adventure game character cliches (namely the computers) while still playing on those cliches to keep you on edge. Story is a nice idea but you get absolutely none of it until the very end, so there are times where you wonder "what am I actually trying to do?".

King's Quest III: To Heir Is Human (Remake) (Windows, ?)
This game is very difficult. There's a lot of items to collect and you can never be quite sure when you've got everything you need. Still, it's free and it's been cleverly remade and altered to include some amusing surprise cameos from popular genre characters (less of a surprise now that I've told you). There's a voice pack available but I dunno if it's any good, I didn't use it.

Five Days a Stranger (Windows, DOSBox?)
Great daddy of low budget adventure games. First of four in the horror series about the gentleman thief trilby. Each one is quite short, but well written.

7 Days a Skeptic
Second in the Trilby series, this time in space! Much death and blood

Trilbys Notes
Third in the series, this time it uses a text phaser and pointing and clicking, in my opinion the best of the lot, and by far the most gruesome. Much blood sodden walls and mutliated people

Six Days a Sacrifice
The last in the series.

No Action Jackson (Windows, ?)
Easily the best non-Lucas Arts, Lucas Arts style point n clicker.

Alone in the Dark (DOSBox, Windows)
You all know this one. The original survival horror. Not actually that scary in retrospect, but still pretty good.

Alone in the Dark 2 (DOSBox)
The sequel, obviously. With Pirates!

Discworld (DOSBox, Windows)
I'm sure you'll all bum off this one.

Flight of the Amazon Queen
Not played much of this one myself, but apparently a bit of a classic

Fable (DOSBox)

Strategy

Savage: The Battle for Newerth (Windows, ?) -
was made free by its developer S2 games last year, and is a.) very weird and b.) very very good. It's an RTSS: Real-Time Strategy Shooter. There's two teams, two player commanders, and lots of other players who fight as an RTS-style army - humans vs beasts. It's a not entirely straightforward to install and play, but I'll try to make it simple.

First, you need to download the game itself. I haven't had to do this because I have a boxed copy, but if you don;t have it, you will obviously need to. I suggest you do this stage by stage - first, get the STANDALONE version from this official S2 page:

http://www.s2games.com/savage/downloads.php

Next you need to go and get the very important SEP modification, which is used on virtually all Savage servers that run these days. You want to download the one called "WINDOWS: Game Patch (requires Savage 2.00e)" on the following page:

http://www.notforidiots.com/SFE/

Then, once you have Savage 2.00e upgraded with SEP final, you can run the game, create an account, and get going. If anyone tries this and has any troubles, you know where to find me, either here on on Xfire. Believe me, it's an excellent and weird game, an amalgamation of two genres.

Dwarf Fortress (Windows, Mac OS, Linux?)
Its an Ascii fortress building game with massive complexity, its not the matrix -_-

Although in fairness I think its as close as we've coming to making the matrix, but with dwarfs...

Also see the PW DF thread, the all-important Wiki, and Feet's excellent (though contestable :P) Starting Guide.

MechCommander Gold and MechCommander 2
Released for free a while. They're mech-based RTT games released in 1998 and 2001 respectively.

The Battle for Wesnoth
This is a tile-based, top-down fantasy turn-based strategy game. There are various races to play as, several built-in single-player campaigns of varying lengths, multiple difficulty modes, and it's all open-source.

Freeciv
Freeciv is, as you might guess, a free open-source clone of Civilization II.

FreeCol
FreeCol is similar to Freeciv, in that it's an open-source clone, but in this case it's a clone of Colonisation and depicts the colonisation of the Americas from 1492 onwards.

RPG

ADOM
Best freeware RPG out there. Blew every other roguelike away it did. Massive, deep, lonnnnng, harrrrrd and damn interesting if you get into it.

Darklands
Free-roaming RPG set in the Holy Roman Empire with pausable real-time combat and full of crotchety alchemists and Satan worshipping villagers.
- Download link at bottom of page.

Doom: The Roguelike
Doom, with all the sounds and monsters in Roguelike RPG form! Relive nabbing the shotty for the first time and blowing away a pinky.

Notrium
Survival game. Trapped on an alien world, you must survive, gather food, ensure you're warm and safe for the night. Build tools and weapons. Great little game.

Dink Smallwood
A comedic Zelda-esque RPG. I haven't actually played it myself but a friend of mine thoroughly recommended it a while ago.

----------------
----------------

Resources

CWF Freeware Forums

Abandonia

-----------------

SO...

That about covers it for now. Anything to add, post it here (try and keep to the theme) and I'll do my utmost to remember to update it. I'm doing this on my Macbook, too, so it's taken ruddy ages. Expect it to look a bit nicer sometime in the future when I'm at a proper computer that doesn't make this kind of thing extremely awkward.
Last edited by Plant on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:41 am, edited 9 times in total.
Prey wrote:i just fell up the stairs right on my fsace oopsiei

Rook

Postby Rook » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:18 pm

For the strategy section:

The Battle for Wesnoth

This is a tile-based, top-down fantasy turn-based strategy game. There are various races to play as, several built-in single-player campaigns of varying lengths, multiple difficulty modes, and it's all open-source.

Freeciv

Freeciv is, as you might guess, a free open-source clone of Civilization II.

FreeCol

FreeCol is similar to Freeciv, in that it's an open-source clone, but in this case it's a clone of Colonisation and depicts the colonisation of the Americas from 1492 onwards.

For the action section:

Strife

This was released way back in 1996 and runs on the then-dated Doom engine. A hugely influential shooter with light RPG elements, you'll notice that there is a huge list of games that ripped off its ideas while this game rots in relative obscurity. Find my review of it here

GTA, GTA2 and Wild Metal

A few years back R* saw fit to give a few of their games away as freebies - firstly the first two PC-focused instalments in the now-huge GTA series - GTA and GTA 2 - and also Wild Metal Country. Unfortunately the latter apparently got panned by critics so it might be best to stick with wanton murder.

I'm sure I can think of plenty more, I'll come back and post some when I have the chance.

Jay

Postby Jay » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:25 pm

Enemy Territory! :D
Je veux qu'en même mon putain de paiement

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:29 pm

I can't get GTA1 to work. It's just not fair. :(
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Feet

Postby Feet » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:47 pm

Contestable! It's full proof! FULL PROOF I TELL YOU. :P
I still love you.

Plant

Postby Plant » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:52 pm

Admins, man! Think of the long-term! Also you overstock on items when you could have more useful dwarves >_>

It's excellent for not dying, but thriving is another matter :P

I'll get the first post updated and reshuffled a bit tonight. Keep 'em coming. I often find myself scouring the net for something novel and free to play when I'm bored, so the more we get in here the better.

Hikaru Sulu

Postby Hikaru Sulu » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:59 pm

There was a thread like this in GD some time ago which probably has some useful stuff you could put in here. Couldn't find it when I looked though.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:02 pm

I get a strong impression I wrote some of that ¬_¬

Doom Rogue alike is brilliant, even if it is all letters and keyboard characters. Lemmingball-Z also has shockingly large explosions that destroy the entire map.

Also, Zangbank.

Plant

Postby Plant » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:08 pm

You did write some of it, aye. I took everything from the old thread, as well as the un-updated bits, and then added a load of new stuff too.

Hikaru Sulu

Postby Hikaru Sulu » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:11 pm

I would really like a link to Zangband that works. There are loads of variations. I've never managed to get one working though ¬_¬. I'd quite like to play ADOM, but never really understand what is going on. Then I die.

Hikaru Sulu

Postby Hikaru Sulu » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:15 pm

I'm enjoying Free Col! Thanks for the link.

Rook

Postby Rook » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:29 pm

Larinson wrote:I'm enjoying Free Col! Thanks for the link.

You're welcome. I couldn't get my head round it and quickly tired of it ¬_¬

Incidentally most of the Abandonia links in the main post seem dead, Planteh.

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:50 pm

Surely it's better to run the adventure games through SCUMMVM than DOSbox where possible?

WMain00

Postby WMain00 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:03 pm

Your Discworld link is dead.

Much to my sadness. :cry:

Chickenboy

Postby Chickenboy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:23 pm

I've just spent twenty minutes playing Tyrian on my Mac! I've not played this game since whiling away the hours on it back in 1995 with a friend. The best, most fluid and pretty vertical-scrolling shooter you'll find on the PC.

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group