The Byron Report

Steamz and moar.
:Dan

Postby :Dan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:30 pm

The illustrations through out are rather 'odd'. Plus the front cover has a whiff of Brass Eye about it.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:49 pm

The papers are trying to spin it, saying that they are going to have fag style health warnings on them and whatnot.

Basically sifting through the shite I can't actually fault anything about it, I'll have to read it in full but it seems to basically be saying that it's all good in the hood apart from enforcement of ratings.

I always thought that the PEGI held as much power as the BBFC in that shops would be fined for selling them to underage kids.

How can people say the ratings are confusing? It's a big fucking number and if your kid's age is under that number then they shouldn't be buying them. Piece of pish.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:31 pm

I read most of it this afternoon and it seemed like a fairly balanced report and made some good points about how difficult it is to actually carry out research in order to figure out whether a child is desensitised to violence or made more violent by playing games.

I don't necessarily agree with all games having to be submitted to the BBFC rather the idea of some sort of website/forum that parents can go to to find out what the various rating mean is a better idea. Especially as some parents felt that video game ratings were often over the top. Explaining to people why a game deserves a certain rating would definitely go some way to solving some of the problems.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:39 pm

Which is what the BBFC do on thieir website. http://www.bbfc.co.uk/recent/index.php?media=film

Gives a list of all the stuff they've rated, including games, over the past wee while. Some but not all films have "Extended Classification Information" which tells you exactly why it got the rating, including details on the scene. I imagine it'd be useful if you were into that kind of thing.

EDIT: Here's what they have to say on Manhunt 2 for instance: http://www.bbfc.co.uk/recent/index.php?media=digital%20media

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:39 am

The Bag wrote:Why do you see it as a marketing move?

Because submitting games to the BBFC which were pretty innocuous or had other elements that were controversial at the time (eg the language) has been happening since Vampire and Barbarian on the Commodore 64, that's why.

Just had a proper look at Tomb Raider Anniversary and one element of the BBC's coverage is plain wrong; someone was quoted as saying that PEGI and BBFC ratings were mixed up on game packaging boxes. I've pulled out every single BBFC classified game from the list I mentioned above and they're all treated like films for the UK - they don't faff about with a PEGI rating in the UK if they've gone to the BBFC. Can't speak for Ireland though.

The Bag

Postby The Bag » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:30 am

yeah maybe back then it was a marketing move, but it hasn't been for a long time.

Hikaru Sulu

Postby Hikaru Sulu » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:53 pm

Pretty hot for someone doing a government review ¬_¬.

Anyway, there is an interview with her here and it talks a lot of sense.

WMain00

Postby WMain00 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:00 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/28/uk-tv ... ent-games/

Fan-fucking-tastic Daily Mail. Give yourselves a round of applause for being the worst newspaper group ever conceived.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:00 pm

Absolute farce, but you have to laugh that there are actually people out their who can get away with making stuff up like this.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:21 pm

The wonders of being able to air an opinion about things that you neither understand nor care about and saying anything because that's what the mail want you to say and your getting lots of money.

Bev

Postby Bev » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:37 pm

Arf at the clipping errors in the photo. ¬_¬

And as for the BBFC site, I object to High School Musical being rated as containing "no material likely to offend"

Bob Arctor

Postby Bob Arctor » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:49 pm

She is a ghost Bev! She can materialise halfway through game boxes! 'Tis her power, fear it!
Bob Arctor - Beta mapper on the Dark Mod - http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/
I'm eating Blue Stew, Blue Stew, it's hard on your heart, it ain't good for/ When you're all alone at a table for two/ You're eating Blue Stew.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:39 am

Dan! wrote:Plus the front cover has a whiff of Brass Eye about it.

"I'm coming!!!"

Oh dear. :shock:
End of an Era

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:58 am

Arf my sister says she was chucked off Celebrity fit club from getting surgery :lol:

Trash!
Will debase self for credits.

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:03 pm

Wasn't that Anne Diamond?

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group