Lowtech fear.....

Steamz and moar.
eVoL

Lowtech fear.....

Postby eVoL » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:36 am

Whats the most simple/retro/lowtech game thats actually scared you?

I... cant think of many. I seem to remember being scared of a game on the Amstrad. It was kind of a detective agency and you're trying to solve a murder pretty much from your desk. You can call people on the phone, look up info/evidence and uhm... that might be all, heh -_- One of the suspects was a kind of "mister big" bloke with a cigar and he came on with a big evil laugh and evil music and I have this memory of utterly dreading when he would call. It might have signaled gameover when he did... not sure on that. It was called something like Innocent Until Proven Guilty or... maybe Murder or something like that... anyone know what I'm talking about? It was probably '87-'88.

Theres a few games like that that I'm not sure if I was actually scared of them as games or if my memory is askew like Total Eclipse on the speccy which might just have been that it was probably the first proper 3D game I played (I think I was maybe 7 at the time). As I remember, you wandered around pyramids and then the Eclipse came and you died. Still have no idea what the game was about other than a killer Eclipse but I loaded it up many times becuase I was amazed at this awesome 3D amazingness. Sure elite was before it, but this was solid 3D :O Not sure why I rememember being scared of it, maybe it was just the frustration of not knowing how to play or of insta death for no reason. Incidentally, I just found a remake which looks pretty decent. Give it a spin later.

There was a text adventure too but I forget which one.

Silent Hill and System Shock 2(not so much the first though) are the first ones I have proper memories of "eek!", but they are a bit too high tech for this. I was never bothered with Doom or Alone In The Dark and certainly not Rez Evil. :P Actually, thats a wee lie about AitD because I did jump when the armour came alive on outside the library and the worm in the basement was a tad edgy too since it was an instakill but I never found it that much of a "horror" game.

Oh yeah - actually, Realms Of The Haunting! That had some cracking atmosphere for the time ('96?). It did some really nice stuff with such a basic engine. Or I remember them being nice ¬_¬ i think that may be borderline on the lowtech for this.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:35 am

To be honest with you I wasn't really in to games back in the 'low tech' era (I got my first games system, the Mega Drive, at 8 years old) but there is one game that's always stuck in my memory as being incredibly creepy.

Thief Gold.

Remember those skeletal hammerites? It was the noises they made. I'll never forget the first time I encountered one; I was hiding in a shadowy corner of an old house (said house was quite hidden, it was off the beaten track so you had to explore a bit to get to it) with the gamma turned right down as I was playing with all the lights out / in the middle of the night.

I'd basically heard chains rattling, which is why I'd hidden in the corner in the first place. Next thing I know a shadowy figure descends the stairs about 15 paces ahead of me, turns away and continues to walk down the hallway. So, I creep out from the shadows readying my blackjack and sneak up on it.

As I drew close I realised that it was making some pretty squiffy noises but, me being me, ignored it and proceeded to bash the bastard over the head.

Cue said figure spinning on its heel revealing a skeletal face and the most god awful, evil laughter you've ever heard. Like 100 people laughing at once in warped voices. I tried to turn and run but it was faster. Stronger.

I shit myself so much I hit the reset button on my PC and refused to play Thief for a couple of days :(

[Prey]

Postby [Prey] » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:02 am

The first game that ever made me truly crap my pants was Clocktower. And the character I feared so much was named "The Scissor man". I was fucking petrified of the guy.

Anytime I'd hear those scissors coming after me and I'd end up hiding inside some cupboard as he strolls right into the room slowly snapping them together, I needed new pants. Even the screen of my character would change in colour to represent just how shit scared they were, which made me even more tense just hoping he'd leave the room again so I could get the hell out of there. And you can screw your present day QTE stuff, Clocktower introduced the panic system which meant you could fight off your assailant by slamming the button constantly in order to get free of his grasp.

It was just a creepy as hell game back then, and remains one of my most memorable when it comes to just how fearful I was when playing it.

The Bag

Postby The Bag » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:23 am

man that game was freaky.

For me, Doom probably - the darkness, the sounds

tester02

Postby tester02 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:28 am

Gave me nightmares that did. ¬_¬ I was only 8 though.

Jay

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:37 am

Doom. I was only 4 years old (I think) when I saw my cousin play it. Some scary shit back then in the early 90s
Je veux qu'en même mon putain de paiement

Edam

Postby Edam » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:39 am

Doom. >.<

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:41 am

Actually, Alien Trilogy on my Saturn was pretty bloody scary. Still not low tech enough though really.

Oh, and The Lost Valley. I think most of us jumped a bit at that :oops:

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:09 am

In terms of outright scary I don't think that happened properly until Thief (Return to the Cathedral), but I'd had the creep put up me a few times before hand. Waxworks on my trusty Amiga gets special mention. The level set in the Mines especially; fending off crazy tentacle zombies with naught but a screwdriver.

There was also a text adventure I played on an old Amstrad that was really tense and creepy, though I can neither remember the name nor the content.

Zork was terrifying. :lol:
Code: Select all
> It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

eVoL

Re: Lowtech fear.....

Postby eVoL » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:17 am

eVoL wrote:It was called something like Innocent Until Proven Guilty or... maybe Murder or something like that... anyone know what I'm talking about? It was probably '87-'88.
Ha! Found it!

"Killed Until Dead" :D One of the best titles ever!
http://www.thehouseofgames.net/index.php?t=10&id=301

Now I cant explain why Sydney Meanstreet scared me as a kiddo, but I was 5/6 at the time
:D
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:24 am

I probably wasn't even 1 when you were hammering away on that :lol:

Edam

Postby Edam » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:27 am

I remember being scared at the HL1 intro. And it took me quite a while to summon the balls to come outta that elevator shaft when you first hear zombie outside. ¬_¬

Jay

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:36 am

Oh, just thought of another one: Alone in the Dark (the first one)

Now THAT was fucking scary
Je veux qu'en même mon putain de paiement

Darth

Postby Darth » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:21 pm

The Original Alien Trilogy on the PS1. Scared me shitless.

I was 12 at the time though...

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:29 pm

DarthS wrote:The Original Alien Trilogy on the PS1. Scared me shitless.

I was 12 at the time though...

Paul wrote:Actually, Alien Trilogy on my Saturn was pretty bloody scary. Still not low tech enough though really.

The Saturn version was far superior! :x

And yeah, I was about 12 too :lol:

Christ, that's 10 years, yet it seems like only yesterday I was playing it. Time flies eh?

Next

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group