Gaming Replayability

Steamz and moar.
HSWDragon

Postby HSWDragon » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:43 pm

I'd rather play oblivion every day of my life than any FPS games or racing games there just so boring and have no replayability for me.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Oblivion is possibly the most boring and unreplayable (I madez a word) game ever. -_-

tester02

Postby tester02 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:48 pm

That honour is reserved for every jrpg out there.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:15 pm

Let's see, my most replayed game is definitely the original Halo; must've been through it 10 or 11 times now, mostly in co-op with different people. There are very few games I've played more than once all the way through; all 3 Halos, Half Life 2, Gears of War, and the rest are probably all 8 and 16 bit era games (Mario 1 and 3, Mario World, the Sonics, Zelda: ALttP, Final Fantasy 5, and that's probably it).

My most replayed games are ones that you can go through with other people; it increases the replayability massively. With the new consoles offering online co-op, it's becoming more common for me to go through a game more than once.

[Prey]

Postby [Prey] » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:31 pm

Halo 2 has about as much replayability as me jumping off a roof. I'd make it the first time but be in far too much pain to even consider trying it a second.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:33 pm

2 is my least replayed; I've only been through it 3 times (granted, more than just about any other game) - once alone when it first came out, once through with my brother, and once through with a mate from uni. I've played bits myself, but not all the way through a second time.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:35 pm

I managed to get quite a lot out of replaying 3 or 4 levels of Halo 2 with the low gravity skull on and in co-op. Once we managed to get out of the level boundaries of Delta Halo near the end and we spent at least 2 hours just wandering around cliffs and on the lake bed. I'm not quite sure why we didn't just get bored and give up as all we did was walk endlessly. I think it was the feeling that we might just make it to the massive wall off in the distance. But alas, the wall turned out to be rendered off of the map entirely and there was a large gap of white nothingness between the very edge of the level and it.

Biggest waste of time ever.

[Prey]

Postby [Prey] » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:45 pm

Mantis on Halo 2 wrote:
Biggest waste of time ever.

I actually still want to play Halo 3, but I'm damned if I'm buying a new 360 just for the pleasure.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Hey! Hey that's not what I meant when I said that! You..... Fuck you! ¬_¬

Might I add:

1) Silly person for selling the 360 when most of its best titles hadn't come out yet!
2) It's a huge improvement over Halo 2 and I was very very pleased with how it turned out in the end. Felt a lot more like Halo originally did. I know a lot of people might say that's a bad thing but I'm a big fan of the first, so meh.
3) Big 360 price drop imminent! At the prices Microsoft announced it's a great deal. No excuses to not buy one!

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:55 pm

What's the new price going to be? Was thinking of getting one for GTAIV coming out.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:00 pm

£160 for the basic package without a hard drive but you get a 256mb memory, which is easily big enough for any saves you put on.

£200 for the version that pretty much everybody buys -_- with the 20GB hard drive and a headset.

Then some silly price for an Elite. I think the Elite will cost the same as the normal Hard drive pack. So around £250.

[Prey]

Postby [Prey] » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:05 pm

Mantis wrote:Hey! Hey that's not what I meant when I said that! You..... Fuck you! ¬_¬

Your words! Your words! I altered and regret...nothing.

Bird

Postby Bird » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:44 am

For me, the only games I'll keep are the games I'll replay, and they tend mostly to be free-roaming or RPG games, because you don't just get the same experience over and over. There are a few exceptions, games I've kept from my childhood for sentimental value and play just for the nostalgia.. but really, I wouldn't consider them replayable.

I think if a game gives you room to be inventive, you can make the experience different for yourself each time you play it, which is something a lot of games boast, "you'll never play it the same way twice!", but only a few pull off.

I guess there are exceptions, some games are just too fun not to replay, and you get that itch that needs scratching from time to time.

And whut?! You sold your 360?! Fool!

I actually was thinking of doing the same a while ago, glad I didn't.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:16 pm

Reasons 1 and 7 cover it for me at the moment. However, every time I installed Freedom Fighters I was too busy, or I reformatted, or had a virus attack or some issue that forced me to restart.

Since the graphics were no great shakes five years ago, it made up for it in gameplay, which was good enough to keep me reinstalling at least annually. Currently determined to play through FF properly and it's even better once you get into it.

I also went back to Unreal II and Ground Control after completing both at home, for the sake of having a game to play on my work PC at lunchtimes.

Original Halo I played to the Library on Xbox co-op, finished it on PC, but still go back and play some of the earlier levels where I enjoyed the design from time to time. I'd only dip into it again using my complete set of backed-up checkpoints.

I've replayed vanilla HL2 once and got 3/4 of the way through again using the Substance mod, replayed Ep1 properly once (commentaries don't count), but that replay was when Ep2 was about to be released. So I'll probably wait for Ep3's release before replaying ALL of Ep2 vs just dipping into saves. Portal I will have to resume from level 14 and get it finished.

Other reasons? When I felt like a WWII splurge I reloaded RTCW after finishing MoH and CoD. Original Max Payne is so much more like a movie and nice and short so that's been replayed twice, even the "brain maze" sections didn't put me off.

There's also Reason 5 in reverse; I've got some games and only ever played the multiplayer mode, and never really bothered with SP side due to time (like Vietcong and CnC ZH). However, the SP has normally had such great word of mouth that I know I'll get round to them someday.

Eny

Postby Eny » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:17 pm

My most played game has to be Mafia- about 10 times; followed by CoD1+UO at about 7; then Ghost Recon and it's expansions about 5 or 6 times; and SoF2 about the same.

It is always about the gameplay, or the character of gameplay- each one is unique in the way it progresses and entertains.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group