Any Flight Simmers?

Steamz and moar.
Ross

Any Flight Simmers?

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:35 pm

I've been tempted to get into Flight Simulator X for a while now but didn't see the point without a decent joystick. My rickety old Cyborg 3D Gold isn't really up to the job. However I now can afford a decent joystick, not sure which but I'll get to that in a sec.
Basically, I've played the demo for FSX and don't know a lot more beyond that. I know there are millions of addons/expansions around and it would be nice to juice up the graphics in places and get some extra locations and planes. Can you get these things free from community sites or do you have to pay for them all? Also, I don't know what the best joystick would be. I've looked at these CH products ones and they look really good but blimey they are expensive. I don't think I'll be hardcore enough to use those. I've also looked at the Saitek X52 which looks like it will do everything pretty well. Is it a decent controller? Or maybe it would be better to go for a flight yoke with a seperate throttle controller? Bear in mind it all has to work fine on Vista 64 too.

Also, didn't know whether to post this in here or in RPG/RTS etc, so apologies in advance if it upsets someone -_-

Dark Flare

Postby Dark Flare » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:49 pm

Get Flight Sim IX rather than X, it's exactly the same, except it runs at a non-terrible frame rate.

Other than that I can't help, sorry.
Previously known as HeliX.

Hikaru Sulu

Re: Any Flight Simmers?

Postby Hikaru Sulu » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Ross wrote:Also, didn't know whether to post this in here or in RPG/RTS etc, so apologies in advance if it upsets someone -_-

We need all the threads we can get in there ;_;. But you probably won't get a response in there, so here is safest ;).

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:04 pm

Dark Flare wrote:Get Flight Sim IX rather than X, it's exactly the same, except it runs at a non-terrible frame rate.

Other than that I can't help, sorry.

But I want shiny good looking planes ¬_¬

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:47 pm

FS2004 can still be shiny and beautiful. See here!

Oooh?

Ahkh?

True, that stuff is addons. But it's still lovely.

Anyway. Considering getting any combat flight sims, for the point where you're in the middle of a three-hour commute to New Jersey and you realise that what you really, really would like to do is shoot some stuff with guns and bombs until it explodes prettily?

I suggest IL2 1946. I have the "Complete Edition" (which isn't), but I am getting 1946 tomorrow and I heartily suggest you do the same.

Mogster

Postby Mogster » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:15 pm

Saitek make decent controlers, I have an old X45 and a set of Saitek pedals, no problems with either. If you can find one for a decent price pick up one of the old MSFF2 sticks second hand, they are very good. Word has got round though so they tend to go for silly prices now. I use the Saitek X45 throttle with my MSFF2 stick.

FSX is the first FS version that I felt happy with out of the box, it looks very decent without addons which is a huge plus imo. All the previous versions were disappointing till you added god knows how many addons. The only problem with FSX is the massive system requirements, if you haven't got a beast of a PC then stick with FS2004.

IL2 is an excellent buy if you haven't tried the series before, make sure you get the complete 1946 pack. It'll run well on modest hardware and there's a lot of downloadable stuff, its popular online as well.

If you like modern stuff Lock On is worth a look, as with IL2 get the complete pack with the Flaming Cliffs add on. The FC add on gives you ED's amazingly modelled Su25, its the best dynamic flight model you'll find anywhere.

Outside FS, SIMHQ is the one stop for sim gaming these days.

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group