Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Steamz and moar.
Animalmother

Re: Games I'm Playing 2: Playing Harder

Postby Animalmother » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:57 am

Doom

What to say that hasn't already been said here. Loving it, the frantic action, OTT gore and the music are all amazing. The game looks gorgeous and the character models wonderfully detailed (jamming a chainsaw into a mancubus's belly never gets old). The story moves well and there's a chance to have a breather between battles. Weapons are mostly good but the super shotgun feels strangely wimpy, which in a Doom game isn't right :/ Other than than that small quibble it's ace.

The MP is pish mind you.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:14 am

Yep great game they pretty much pinned down the feeling of Doom. I enjoyed the MP personally for what I played of it.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:00 pm

I bought it for a fiver in the sales at Xmas. I ignored it for ages despite the rave reviews thinking that it would not keep me occupied. Think I have put in 1-2 hours since I bought it, should have saved the fiver and trusted my thoughts accordingly :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:44 pm

You've only played 1 or 2 hours of Doom? Wow! Didn't see that coming from you mate.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 pm

I loved Doom back in the day, one of the very first PC titles I played (that and TIE Fighter, on a very early laptop). I spent years playing almost nothing but twitch shooters, Quake 2, SiN, Kingpin (played for years with the all-conquering MAMA clan) but pretty much burnt myself out in doing so. Found over the years that I got less and less from corridor shooters - the last-but-one Wolfenstein left me cold, haven't even looked at the new one.

For all that it is very Doom, and that it throws way back to the old days and does it exceptionally well, plays and looks great, optimised as a motherfucker...well it is just another corridor shooter, plus it isn't actually doing anything different then any other corridor shooter, no matter how polished. The look is great, the feel is great, I can see that it is a truly superb game, but I need more than it offers to sink in the hooks these days. Played it, liked it, appreciated it, then picked up something else and played that instead and not sure I will hurry back any time soon, if any time ever.

Nothing against the game, just what ticks my boxes these days.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Yep I get what you're saying mate. I suppose new Doom came along at the right for me. I wasn't going to get it but I was at a loose end with little else playing at the time so I suppose i was able to appreciate it better and throw myself into it more.

Very fair points you make as usual mate.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:04 pm

Aye wasn't looking to be contrary in my views, just said it as it was :)

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Contrary Edwin

:lol:

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:26 am

=D>

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Northgard

A little viking RTS with a stronger emphasis on economy and citizen management over combat. It's something of a hybrid of city builder and RTS, you explore the map section by section, each one limited in the number of buildings that can be placed in it, each building having a limit to the number of villagers that can be assigned to work in them. Villagers (your main resource gatherer and source of your army) are simply generated from your town hall on a timer which speeds up and slows down based on your village happiness stat and resource availability. When idle they will gather food, alternatively you can assign them to specific resource gathering buildings or turn them into troops by sending them to one of the military buildings.

The most interesting mechanic is the implementation of the seasons. When winter hits the map will change to a snow covered view and your resource gathering will reduce drastically, particularly food as your farms will be inactive, you also burn through more of your wood stockpile to keep your people warm. There can also be blizzards which drop your gathering rates even more. It adds an interesting element where rather than spending all your resources as you gather them as you might in a normal RTS, you have to maintain a stockpile for the winter as it's quite common that the winter months will see your yields for each resource drop to negative figures as your village consumes more than it generates, so for a few ingame months you'll be slowly watching your total food and wood decrease.

Mess up your food management too badly and you'll start losing villagers to starvation, or run out of firewood during winter and large groups of your population will freeze to death.

Add in the rival factions complete with three different victory mechanics, unique territory bonuses from things like ruins, jotun, kobolds, wolf dens etc, and it's actually a surprisingly deep game.

It takes a couple of games to pick up on how all the mechanics work, but after that it's a fairly relaxing experience. It's in early access at the minute and only features AI skirmish and multiplayer skirmish, but the devs are working on a full singleplayer campaign. One to keep an eye on if you're even remotely a fan of RTS/city building.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Bought it a while back in a sale, but yet to play it. I'll probably wait until the full release as I've found a few times I tend to spoil games for myself if I play them a lot in EA...
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:35 am

I think you'd be pretty safe to play it now given that the single player component is limited just to skirmish mode. I imagine the campaign will play very differently when it finally launches.

I agree though, by and large I tend to avoid early access games nowadays as I always feel like I've exhausted the fun of them before they ever get a final release. In this instance I only picked it up due to pressure from friends to try something new for multiplayer shenanigans.

Previous

Return to General Gaming & PW Steam Group