Theater of Guilty Pleasures - THIS ONE IS MINE EDITION!

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Prey
Admin

Theater of Guilty Pleasures - THIS ONE IS MINE EDITION!

Postby Prey » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:42 am

Although we have all at one time or another touched upon movies that we love but may not have had a broad appeal or are held in high regard as the term guilty pleasures is in regards to we have never had a dedicated thread to that very cause. Well here it is now it's time to drag out all of those movies you secretly love so much from the darkness and let them shine brightly for everyone to see tall and proud as any true fan should. So name yours and if you can be arsed give everyone a little bit of insight into it and just to add a little extra some form of trivia about your choice would be greatly appreciate too. Now go raid your VHS cupboard...do it now!! :o

I Come in Peace (Dark Angel)

Release: 1990
Director: Craig R Baxley (Action Jackson director)
Budget: $7 Million (!)
RT Score: I don't give a fuck, I love it!

I will always remember I was up late one Friday evening in my teens and this just happened to come on and right from the very start I knew I was in for something special as the movie started out almost like a Die Hard film with the exact same look and feel - it's set during the Christmas period and the opening look of the movie and even the opening credit fonts are pure Die Hard then a guy crashes his car and we are instantly introduced to the films I Come in Peace title and the almost but not quite John Carpenter like musical intro. Essentially this is a buddy cop movie through and through although with what I feel even now is still a pretty a distinct Sci-Fi slant to it that involves warring worlds bringing their personal war right to us with a side of drug dealing for good measure. Dolph Lungren has gone on record to say that he still thinks this movie is his best acting gig ever and I can forgive him being called Caine in it, comedian Brian Benben was perfect as the I don't believe any of this shit and forced to team up side kick Agent Larry Smith. The film also has the best use of a cd ever. :wink:

Trivia: I Come in Peace finally saw a blu ray release back in 2013 after fans spent years demanding it be released which saw the movies actual HD remaster being used to bring it up to par.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Rusty

Re: Theater of Guilty Pleasures - THIS ONE IS MINE EDITION!

Postby Rusty » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:00 am

That sounds awesome.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:58 am

I don't really go for the term 'guilty pleasures' because I don't tend to feel guilty about liking something other people don't like. But there is one film where this absolutely does apply.

Mickey Blue Eyes.

I really like it. :oops:

I've gone too far, haven't I?
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:23 am

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone

Absolutely adore this inventive, ridiculously underrated sci-fi. It's always been bashed unfairly, but it's a million times better than almost all modern po-faced, pretentious fantasy/sci-fi films. Sure it's a bit ropey in places but I love the whole aesthetic and all the characters are great.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:43 am

Wasn't that in 3D?

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:49 am

Yeah. I never saw it in 3D, although I've heard it's pretty nifty.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Death Wish 4: The Crackdown

Utter garbage but its great fun all the same. Charles Bronson loses yet another loved one and goes on a rampage to avenge them. The acting is bad, it's full of racial stereotypes but the violence is hilariously OTT. He has a micro uzi that sprays bullets like a mini-gun and just tears everything and everyone apart. Silly 80's right wing fun.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:24 pm

I used to have an atrocious taste in films and liked all kinds of crap, which I feel pretty embarrassed about.

I can't think of anything I actually like now that isn't mainstream or universally popular.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:20 am

So a mate of mine and I (Prey - am talking about Peaver) used to take advantage of that halcyon era when we still lived at home and lived the carefree existence of A-level students to watch as many bad martial arts movies as we possibly could. Whenever one or other of our respective parents was out for the night, that was our cue to stock up on snacks and hit the local video rental shop. We were lucky, we had a place run by a really nasty Greek fella, but even though he was a right wanker, he used to have a superb line in martial arts films.

Now, when I say superb, I need to qualify. Our steadfast view was that the very best films came in the cheapest packaging - an English translation of the film title was the most we wanted to see. Any kind of glossiness, a still from the film for example, was a likely indicator that the film would not be a pure martial arts cheese-fest and thus should be avoided.

We found some absolute gems this way, and none sparkled quite so brightly as...

Mafia Versus Ninja

Release: 1985
Director: Robert Tai
Budget: Fuck knows, a tenner?
RT Score: Not rated

This film is absolutely hilarious, hitting every single sweet spot unerringly. The cast absolutely cannot act, with the villains especially being laughably awful. The script is similarly execrable and delivered by some spectacularly low budget dubbing.

The effects are sublime - for example at one point some ninjas vanish in a puff of smoke, tunnel under the ground towards their enemy, and then burst out to attack. How to indicate that this unlikely scenario is happening? Well naturally you would cover a radio control car in grass - and don't worry that the grass is old and dead compared to the green you are going to drive it across - then have it trundle towards the 'enemy'.

Or how about having someone attacked in the woods by ninjas leaping from the trees? Well I say leaping, what I mean are sets of clothes stuffed with straw being swung from visible ropes.

This film had us both rolling around laughing, and was a frequent re-hire from the point we first saw it.

Don't take my word for it though - you have to love YouTube:

RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Re-watched Dark Angel(I Come in Peace) for the first time since the 90's. It's a pretty solid action film that moves along at a good pace. The villain alien looks like he's genuinely enjoying himself throughout, he has a maniac grin whenever he's doing alien crimes. Got to love a space gun with a 20ft muzzle blast that destroys cars willy nilly.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:31 pm

My guilty pleasure.

Red Faction .. The game.

Loved it. Media hated it. Thought the single player was great fun with a good story. It was also the first game I played in multiplayer and it was just brilliant fun.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:31 pm

Okay, so I don't feel particularly guilty about this, but if I had to choose one film I liked which isn't that popular these days and isn't particularly good in an objective sense, it would be...

THE LORD OF THE RINGS

The Death of Boromir

Release: 1978
Director: Ralph Bakshi
Budget: $4 Million
RT Score: 50%

I think my parents let me watch this when I was six years old and I was instantly in love with it. It was my favourite film of my childhood and it left a deep, deep impression on me, planting within me a love of myth, legend and fantasy that has never died. The music (which is great) is still stuck in my head to this day, and I always see the voices of the characters in this film as the TRUE voices of the characters in the books. Despite the daft rotoscoping effects (which are used randomly throughout the film), there is something about the artwork and sound effects that I find especially charming and I secretly (or not so secretly anymore) love this adaptation more than Peter Jackson's...

Which reminds me, I really ought to get a copy of this on Blu Ray.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:49 pm

Agreed mate, a formative film for me, for sure.
My face is tired.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:05 am

Dare I say some elements in that film were better than the 2001 Jackson version. Lothorian looked better and the whole vibe of impending doom felt more real than the live action film. Middle Earth felt more other worldly than say....I dunno... New Zealand. The Hobbits in the animation were truer to the book as well
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:16 am

It's just a shame it was never finished (i.e. ends after Helm's Deep). My parents saw it in the cinema back in '78 (before I was born) and my mother was furious that they never actually got to Mordor! :lol:

Return to TV & Film