2001 A Space Odyssey

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

2001 A Space Odyssey

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:50 pm

An amazing new (official) trailer.

This is an appreciation thread of my most favourite film. I know for some its really really boring but I first saw this I think when I was 5 or 6 and it blew my mind. Since then I have been a big fan of this film and before the internet I used to hunt second hand book shops for any memorbalia about the film.

Today this film not only has cult status, I also came across a lot of fellow fans. That is one of the great thing about the web, the chance to meet like minded friends.

Anyway I liked the movie so much I was lucky to have a friendship (via letter, than email) with Arthur C Clarke and met him 4 times. They say never meet your heroes but meeting mine was great.

http://www.oocities.org/jcsherwood/ACCwSamNaji.jpg

With the 50th anniversary of the film I have plenty of material to go read - so I am in my element. Going to see a live concert of the film on Saturday. That will be a first. I have seen the film 4 times on the big screen and each time I see something new.

so...that's it. I thought I would share this with you guys.
Games playing : Attila Total War / Syndicate / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Medicine Man

Re: 2001 A Space Odyssey

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Probably my favourite sci-fi film ever.

Love it!

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Loved the book, loved the film.
Love pretty much anything by him actually, especially the Rama series.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:05 pm

I, err, didn't think much of the film at all. An outstanding technical achievement for the time, perhaps, but viewed for the first time in 2008 or 2009 I found it utterly tedious. The "stargate" sequence for example, is 9 minutes long - 9 minutes of disconnected, abstract effect shots, and colour-shifted landscapes or closeups of an eyeball. It's like a child playing with the filters menu in photoshop. The sequence where HAL is deactivated is just five minutes of a hissing noise with HAL begging Dave to stop, and Dave pulling some perspex blocks out of a wall.

I think the film was a remarkable achievement, but I don't think it's all that entertaining to watch.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:47 pm

horses for courses

I find Marvel films send me sleep
Games playing : Attila Total War / Syndicate / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / 2000:1 A Space Felony

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:14 pm

I've never found it less than utterly captivating, even after all these years. Quite amazing how captivating and tense it all is actually, for such a slow film.

It's absolutely dripping with quality. It's my 2nd favourite Kubrick film, after Paths of Glory.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:34 am

I think it’s an amazing movie that I have never enjoyed watching.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:08 am

Kinda with Evol. Saw it many years ago, appreciated the grandeur and spectacle of it - even the 70s psychedelia (was going through a bit of a phase) - but have never felt the urge to watch it again since.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:26 am

While the film is a technical marvel for its time no question there it simply never engaged me enough although I grew up with my Dad always telling me that I just simply didn't appreciate or properly understand it which is also very much like how I was with Apocalypse Now. The thing is Platoon is and always has been my Apocalypse Now and in turn the likes of Alien and even Dark Star before it were both what got me heavily into sci-fi while 2001 always felt like a massive chore to actually get through.

The HAL/Dave dynamic was always my favourite aspect of the movie but the rest of it very often just felt like Kubrick being somewhat too self absorbed for my liking in the Tarantino makes a crap movie but hey its still Tarantino style fashioning ie Death Proof. It's up there with Interstellar for me as a film I'm told I'm supposed to adore and yet I just find them both extremely tedious to watch.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Solitaire

Postby Solitaire » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:18 am

"Get out of here, Stalker."

:) <3

I remember the first time I saw it, with a movie buff friend who's seen absolutely everything, back in my early 20's. I had a hard time getting into it, as I too am an "Alien" generation sci-fi fan. Another watching of it, after over a decade, and I found the art of it fascinating - the craft of making such a movie. I didn't find it tedious, as some naturally would and as I did upon my first viewing. There's a much bigger story being told, an almost apocalyptic one.

(And Dave, sorry you don't like "Interstellar" :( That's in my top ten movies of all time, possibly top five. I haven't sat down and made an actual list . . . )

My signature is like a time capsule from the Wild West of the internet :o

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:38 pm

Just spotted this added only 2 days ago over on one of my favourite youtubers channels so thought I should post it...

Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:11 am

thanks Dave (Bowman) !

Chris Stuckmann is pretty fair in his reviews. I like him too.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:43 pm

Raid wrote:I, err, didn't think much of the film at all. An outstanding technical achievement for the time, perhaps, but viewed for the first time in 2008 or 2009 I found it utterly tedious. The "stargate" sequence for example, is 9 minutes long - 9 minutes of disconnected, abstract effect shots, and colour-shifted landscapes or closeups of an eyeball. It's like a child playing with the filters menu in photoshop. The sequence where HAL is deactivated is just five minutes of a hissing noise with HAL begging Dave to stop, and Dave pulling some perspex blocks out of a wall.

I think the film was a remarkable achievement, but I don't think it's all that entertaining to watch.

And there I was thinking it was just me who thought that. :shock:
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Return to TV & Film