Star Wars: Solo

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

Star Wars: Solo

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:35 am

TV spot

No jokes. Hope its not going to be too serious

In canon I presume this is the No. 4 in order - prequels, this, Rogue one, main trilogy, new trilogy
Games playing : Doom / Attila Total War / Syndicate

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Star Wars: Solo

Postby Raid » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:43 pm

It's not unusual for a teaser to be little more than key visuals. I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

I really enjoyed Rogue One for the fact that it was a slightly wider look at the Star Wars universe without any real connection to the Force and Jedi. I expect this'll be similar, though I do wish they'd gone for a less specific prequel. I think focusing on the early life of an existing character hamstrings the production too much.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:51 pm

I'd have thought they have a fair bit of latitude here right? Aside from chewie, lando and falcon there's very little else they are constrained by right?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:57 pm

I think the character itself will constrain the direction by quite a lot. The very fact that it's Solo and not some unknown smuggler means there are certain consistencies they need to maintain. It would have been nicer to have a totally fresh perspective where they could have explored more varied themes and ideas. But this is Disney, we're never going to get an interesting idea out of them when it's far easier to play it safe and reap in the dollars with an established character.

Having said that, Rogue One was one of the best Star Wars movies out of the lot of them, so who knows.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Didn't Lucas suggest Han Solo was initially meant to be a proper evil scumbag in his earlier life - as in, a cutthroat smuggler who would kill for money where needed - who later saw the light?

I'd love it if Disney made a film of him shagging and murdering his way across the galaxy.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Isn't another part of his history that he was a pilot for the empire? It's kind of suggested in that trailer.

Haven't seen the latest but Rouge One is definitely the best in the series yet.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:34 pm

I *think* it's been established before that he was in the Imperial military before, but it's possible I'm confusing him with someone else - I don't think it's an uncommon backstory; both Mara Jade and Wedge Antilles were part of the Empire at some point.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:43 pm

Established where though? Because if any of that stems from the Extended Universe material, none of it is canon anymore and his past is a blank slate.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 pm

katarn wrote:Didn't Lucas suggest Han Solo was initially meant to be a proper evil scumbag in his earlier life - as in, a cutthroat smuggler who would kill for money where needed - who later saw the light?

I'd love it if Disney made a film of him shagging and murdering his way across the galaxy.

Yep like others I sadly don't think that'll happen.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Mantis wrote:Established where though? Because if any of that stems from the Extended Universe material, none of it is canon anymore and his past is a blank slate.

I had a feeling I'd read it more recently than the Disney takeover, but you're almost certainly right. Given this solo Solo film has been known about for a long time, it's very unlikely Disney would have allowed writers establishing the new canon to work on his back story.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:41 pm

1st trailer
Games playing : Doom / Attila Total War / Syndicate

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Little off tangent but apparently Game of Thrones writers Benioff and Weiss are doing the next set of movies.

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-of-th ... wars-films

Not sure to feel about that considering the ups and downs in their work with GRRM source material

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Indeed, the show stayed reasonable when they had to adhere (loosely) to the books, but as soon as they ran out of published story the series soon careered off the rails!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Return to TV & Film