LoveFilm shutting down

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

LoveFilm shutting down

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:37 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40925062

How very odd - this very month I cancelled my sub to start Netflix in Oct with the 2nd season of Stranger Things. Now the site itself is shutting down in Oct due to lack of demand. This could very well be true as people are opting for Netflix and Amazon Prime but those services are hit and miss on new films.

I also sub to Cinema Paradiso which to be utterly honest is actually a better service than LoveFilm. I hope they pick up business and I also hope we can still rent physical discs of new films as opposed to waiting for god knows when films make their way to streaming or when they make their way to terrestrial TV

Or there is this.....https://www.filmous.com/movies/...if you really want to give mafia money
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Wrathbone

Re: LoveFilm shutting down

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Disappointing. The main advantage of Lovefilm is that their physical selection of films is far bigger than streaming services and new films are available around the same time as DVD / blu-ray releases. Netflix and Prime only seem to get new films much later.

Also they're offering Lovefilm customers a £15 discount on a Fire TV stick, which sounds good until you realise the price of a stick is now £40. Pretty sure mine was £30 when I bought it 18 months ago (not on sale).
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Got a firestick for my birthday a couple of months ago, more or less immediately cancelled my Lovefilm sub. Not that we couldn't still have used it, as I agree there is stuff in their catalogue that can't be had on the streaming sites, but started up a Netflix sub to go with our existing Prime sub and couldn't really justify having three such services on the go at once. Plus waiting days for a disc only to receive something you added on a whim 12 months earlier and no longer have much interest in seeing was a bit of a ball-ache.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Plus waiting days for a disc only to receive something you added on a whim 12 months earlier and no longer have much interest in seeing was a bit of a ball-ache.

There are several gems I've discovered because of that, though, because there's something about having the disc there that makes me more likely to give it a try than on a streaming service where I'd just skip by it. On the other hand, that's how I ended up watching Run For Your Wife. :cry:

The way we watch stuff is changing fast and Lovefilm closing was inevitable at some point, but we've lost something in the process. I'd argue it was the same with PC games when I stopped buying physical games - actually having the physical thing in front of you for some reason made me more likely to play it, whereas the easy, throwaway nature of buying a game on Steam or similar means I might never actually get round to it.

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Wrathbone wrote:which sounds good until you realise the price of a stick is now £40. Pretty sure mine was £30 when I bought it 18 months ago (not on sale).

Have they not updated the product since then? They have voice remotes now.

My process for choosing a film is entirely different to what it was when this service started (though I've never actually used it). With streaming services I choose a film I'm in the mood to watch now, rather than one I think I ought to see at some point when ordering a rental. Besides, we get offers on the Google Play store so frequently that actual rentals hardly ever cost us anything.

I'm not convinced this is actually a superior way of doing things, but I can understand why they've lost so much custom.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:15 pm

Raid wrote:
Wrathbone wrote:which sounds good until you realise the price of a stick is now £40. Pretty sure mine was £30 when I bought it 18 months ago (not on sale).

Have they not updated the product since then? They have voice remotes now.

Could be that - mine doesn't have a voice remote, though I wouldn't use it anyway. I could use a second stick, but I'd prefer a cheaper one without voice activation, given the choice.

I'm not convinced this is actually a superior way of doing things, but I can understand why they've lost so much custom.

Yeah, they had it coming. I too am not convinced it's all for the better, but If I gave my 10 year old self the option of a rental disc service vs thousands of films available to watch right now, I'd ask why anyone would even consider the first option.

Honestly... for me I think it mostly comes down to the available content. There are loads of films on Lovefilm not available to stream; everything from the biggest of big name blockbusters to rare bargain bucket monstrosities which no sane person would ever make available to stream. That's what's being lost, though I suppose I could use the £10 I spend on Lovefilm per month on buying those films instead.

Photos!

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:19 pm

yes it is the loss in library content but as I said there is Cinema Paradiso which is better because they stock everything and Lovefilm I think had a falling out with Universal and some other distributor and did not stock their films.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:43 pm

I may well give that a go.

Photos!

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:07 pm

yeah they are all right - its run by a entrepreneurial Pole