Summer of discontent

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:04 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/a ... an-get-out

It feels like every Summer its the same now - disappointing box office
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Animalmother

Re: Summer of discontent

Postby Animalmother » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:42 pm

A Johnny Depp film was a flop, a Michael Bay film was utter wank, a film about emojis turned out to be really bad, something with Will Ferrell in it somehow managed to be shit... I mean what are the chances? #-o

I would just say most people are just savvy on what's going to be film gold or rancid shit these days. No mystery there.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:26 pm

By all accounts that Emoji film was the viewing equivalent of a F2P game, the most cynical, vile marketing buried in an excuse for a film.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:17 pm

What was the Emoji movie marketing exactly? I mean besides shitty ideas.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:24 am

I have no idea, I didn't watch it, just read some reviews.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:50 am

Considering how little of my headspace the film has occupied, it's probably not surprising that I never even considered that it'd be designed to sell apps. Still, I'm impressed that they managed to make what I already assumed to be an utterly awful excuse for a film sound even worse.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:36 pm

I've personally not been to the cinema to watch a film since Deadpool released and the very reason for that is that in all honesty the once great cinema experience has now all but vanished replaced instead by couples who take huge fucking torchlight bright ipads into the theater with them and face stream live ten minutes into the movie or others who just don't shut the fuck up all the way through as if the movie hasn't even started yet. Then there's the kids that go in groups who you just want to leave because they are making such a racket and/or running up and down the fucking steps constantly. Etc Etc Etc. Nobody has any form of respect for anyone else who paid money nor for anyone who wishes to actually watch a movie on the big screen amongst other like minded individuals any longer.

With prices constantly going up to make up for it and the actual experience going down hill so much it's no wonder people are now just actively sitting it out and waiting for it to become available on their favourite streaming service or on blu ray and dvd instead.

I've not seen Logan, John Wick 2, Wonder Woman, War for the Planet of the Apes, Spider-Man Homecoming, Guardians 2, Kong Skull Island and so many more besides yet thanks to just no longer feeling that urge and passion I once felt to go to my local cinema and embrace the then amazing experience that is movie making. It's fucking dead. Gone forever. Never to be repeated. It genuinely saddens me so much as I loved nothing more than anticipating the release of and then going to watch and properly enjoy a film I had real excitement for as you are simply no longer allowed to have that now.

Thank god we now all have massive 50 inch tv's, blu ray players and take away. That's the new cinema experience right there pretty much and it's one you can completely control so as to get the best watching experience out of a film that it no doubt deserves.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:05 pm

The only time we go to the cinema now is with the kids every couple of months, when they have a special £2.50 a head showing of an animated film we think they'd like. It's generally months after it's been released, but I don't think that's important when they're 4 and 6 and have no idea when stuff is coming out.

£10 for a family of four to go to the flicks is a pretty sweet deal.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:08 pm

The cinema experience has died for me too, but I think that's possibly partially down to me showing my age added to the real reasons things have got worse.

I just remember the cinema being a 'pleasant' place to go to. Something special. All through the 80s and 90s I struggle to recall a single visit that had annoying people interfering with the experience. Whereas now it's seemingly considered the done thing for everyone to talk, play with phones and fool around. (Not just kids but adults too)

Maybe that's why the volume is ramped up so much these days? To drown out the noisy punters? Another major issue for me. It's just too damn loud. I don't want it to be so loud it makes my head hurt.

I can't work out the motivation for not waiting to watch new films on a decent home cinema instead.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:05 pm

I go to the cinema mostly for Marvel films, Star Wars and a small amount of other films these days. Maybe I'm just lucky but I never seem to end up near noisy people during the film itself (during ads / trailers is fair enough), and our local cinema has cut prices in half this year so a standard seat on any given day is about a fiver - very reasonable. A VIP leather seat is £6. It's generally a good value, enjoyable experience for me, and the only reason I don't go more often is that I'm too accustomed to the comforts of watching a film at home, being able to pause it and go for a wee / get a drink, etc. We're spoiled in terms of home cinema these days, which is great, but there are some films where watching them at the cinema is an altogether different and worthwhile experience.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:43 pm

I am a tad lucky in that I usually work US hours so I can go to the cinema and watch a matinee. Then the only other people are OAPs which is fucking brilliant. The best people to watch movies with.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:08 pm

I'm not a huge cinema goer but I'll go watch a few things every year. I mostly stick to seeing them days or weeks after release and pick a daytime showing where there's me and a bloke with his dog watching it.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:33 pm

I usually go to the cinema about 11.00am on a school day. Lovely and quiet, usually less than a dozen people even for a major release. And none of them noisy kids.
And the tickets are only £2.50 too, can't go wrong.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:47 pm

You said it mate. If you want the cinema experience, go see a film in its second week at 11am during a working day

Return to TV & Film