The Great British Bake Off - a business case

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

The Great British Bake Off - a business case

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:37 am

The fact that Bake off is going to Ch4 is not why I am interested in this. Like many I would have preferred to have seen it remain on the BBC. I read in the Guardian this :

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... h-bake-off

I am fascinated where this will go from a purely business aspect. The maker of the show stated this:

In an interview with the Guardian two years ago, McKerrow expressed reservations about the BBC’s decision to move the show from BBC2 to its flagship channel. “We love making programmes for BBC2, [controller] Janice Hadlow is absolutely brilliant,” he said. “Commercially, it’s nice to do it for a channel where you have only got to get 2 million viewers. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, so my first instinct was – why do we have to move to 1?

The show generated 14 million viewers in last season finale, something McKerrow probably only dreamed about. The BBC are paying £15 million for 3 season. McKerrow wants £25 million per season. So he went from I am happy its doing its own small thing to show me the money, show me the money once he smelt success.

We do not know if Mel, Sue, Hollywood and Berry will jump ship and move to the new Ch4 show. If they do not and all decide to start their own show to rival their old show, this could be the biggest blunder in TV business dealing (for Ch4) since Top Gear.

The only winner here is McKerrow, but I also think if he was less greedy, in the long run, he could have made more money, if the Ch4 version fails. I suppose it is a gamble. Either way McKerrow will not go hungry and Sky, who own 70% of Love productions, can make even more money
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

DjchunKfunK

Re: The Great British Bake Off - a business case

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:43 am

Yeah it sounds like a classic case of a shows producers asking for more money and then trying to claim it was about something completely different.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:57 am

It would be hard for the Beeb to justify paying that considering it comes from license fees. Personally have never watched the show as the premise bores me rigid, so not great loss for the Boots household.

Half-expect it to become another Come Dine With Me now, initially popular and then repeated ad nauseum until no-one ends up giving much of a shit about it. There's a good chance greedy producers have killed off their cash cow.
My face is tired.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:06 am

I enjoy the show, its a kind of Valium for the mind. It is sweet (no pun intended) but at time you do feel the time crunch has been edited to effect more than reality.

I can you tell what it isn't. It isn't worth £25 million for 10 shows worth. I can tell you that !

I hope the presenters do jump ship and do their own thing, but it now comes to contracts and NDAs that might prevent them from doing so. The middle classes revolt !
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:05 pm

I imagine the BBC realised they could make their own baking show (with blackjack and hookers?) for far less than £25m. Take away presenter fees and what are the overheads? A tent, some kitchen equipment and ingredients. Incidentally I saw my first episode of Bake Off at the weekend (at parents') and concluded that the number of craps I give about it can be counted on zero fingers. The most entertaining part was when my dad suggested that Paul Hollywood looks like Geralt, which triggered some bewildered googling. :lol:
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:30 pm

yep - at a push, including insurance, the show cannot cost more than £150k per episode and Love Productions want £2.5M per show

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:39 pm

I bet it costs a lot more than that. Hollywood and Berry probably ask for that much in salary per show.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:08 pm

the BBC said they increased the offer to £15M for 3 years

so even if Love productions made zero profit - that is

15,000,000/30 = £500k per episode excluding Xmas special

I don't know how much a TV program costs to make but once you factor in the fixed costs overheads, the running costs must be pretty low for a show like this

Berry and Hollywood know that they can take a cut on presenter fees and make that up with book contracts and royalties.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:27 pm

The concept of Love Productions doing this is completely sound - they have shareholders to answer to, obviously they can't afford to be sentimental and deny themselves extra income - but whether it will backfire on them longterm, who knows.

I watched the odd episode last year and I can see the appeal. What I'm most surprised about is the fact it isn't a BBC show in the first place. It's such a basic concept, I'd just assumed it was some random idea created by a BBC producer years ago.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:38 pm

It is not uncommon for the BBC to buy productions from indies. Most comedy panel shows are made by 3rd parties, sold to the BBC.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:09 pm

here is the economics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37353262

Damn I'm good !

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:52 pm

Bake off has probably peaked anyway, how many times can you watch people making cakes?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:04 pm

Edwin wrote:Bake off has probably peaked anyway, how many times can you watch people making cakes?

I hit my limit during the many ads for the show in between other programmes I was watching...
My face is tired.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:47 am

The creations are often impressive, the panic is often hilarious, the failures are usually tragically bad.
Hollywood being a bastard is fairly entertaining.

Yes, I tune in each week. That and UFC events are pretty much the only things I watch live :)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:54 am

Edwin wrote:Bake off has probably peaked anyway, how many times can you watch people making cakes?

The same amount of times you can watch apprentices running around London trying to sell stuff I would say.

Mel and Sue have already jumped ship and Mary Berry is apparently unhappy about the move, but I can see both Berry and Hollywood moving to Channel 4 if Love Productions offer them enough. The show takes less of a hit when losing the two presenters than it would if it lost both judges.

This year is the first time I've actually watched the show and apart from Mel and Sue being a bit annoying at times, I've enjoyed it.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Next

Return to TV & Film