Classic films to learn the young uns

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
gpa-gone-west

Re: Classic films to learn the young uns

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:20 pm

Rusty wrote:The Matrix done. I thought it best to explain some of the plot before the film as it's quite hard to follow 'real world' vs 'matrix world' etc.
Think he got it :) he mentioned there was a lot of swearing when Neo woke up late for work and said shit 4 or 5 times :)

Men in Black tonight.

Tremors . Yeah the original only though.

I think the first Matrix film is great, didn't like the others though. Men in Black is another great film, although I do like the other two.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:54 pm

For God sake show him Jaws.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Jez wrote:For God sake show him Jaws.

My brother saw Jaws when it first came out. He was only 13. But he was a 13 years old who was, and remains, a massive wuss. So obviously he came back with the buttons on his jacket fastened up wrong.
He had nightmares for weeks. In the end he was more scared of mum than his nightmares. :lol:

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:56 pm

And Men in Black went down well. Might do the other 2 whilst he's in the MiB mindset. NOt sure about the other Matrix films, 1 cos they're not so cool and 2. They get a bit philosophical and ultimately boring.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:06 pm

Think he'd be up for The Frightners? Peter Jackson before he made TLotR's and Micheal J Fox's last film. It's more akin to Ghostbusters than horror, great film as well.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:57 pm

Animalmother wrote:Think he'd be up for The Frightners? Peter Jackson before he made TLotR's and Micheal J Fox's last film. It's more akin to Ghostbusters than horror, great film as well.

Dam, I forgot about that one. Its a really good film. Haven't seen it in ages though.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:31 pm

Rusty wrote:The Matrix done. I thought it best to explain some of the plot before the film as it's quite hard to follow 'real world' vs 'matrix world' etc.
Think he got it :) he mentioned there was a lot of swearing when Neo woke up late for work and said shit 4 or 5 times :)

Best not show him Four Weddings And A Funeral yet then :P

If he hasn't already seen them on ITV2 maybe chuck in the Bourne trilogy plus Legacy which you'd have to vet for violence more so than bad language, although the shakycam lessens the effect in the last two Matt Damon Bournes before this newest one.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:34 pm

I would suggest The Thing (Kurt Russell version) but maybe invest in a mattress protector for him first.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:19 pm

Dr@gon-UK wrote:I would suggest The Thing (Kurt Russell version) but maybe invest in a mattress protector for him first.

Naaah, the best way to educate them on good films, is to just throw him in at the deep end. I cant think of a better film than that.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:06 pm

While you are about it, The Shining and Poltergeist are both on my list of 'made me shit myself when a kid' films.

Jaws though, Jaws is an absolute must-see.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:04 am

That's all the men in Black films done. We also did i-robot so we could get some more Will Smith in :)

Made me think...maybe independence day too? Only have one more day before he goes back to his mum's then it's back to 1 film every 2 weeks....which took forever with the LOTR trilogy :)

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:31 am

You are going to waste that last film opportunity on an execrable piece of shit like Independence Day?

Jaws. Do it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:12 am

Fuck it, show him the original tv version of The Woman in Black. Saw this when I was about 12 or 13 on Christmas Eve no less, scared the utter shit out of me. Don't think I've ever rewatched it. PTSD.

But yeah, Jaws would be epic. He came to your house a boy, but after watching Jaws, he'll leave a man.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:13 am

Rusty wrote:That's all the men in Black films done. We also did i-robot so we could get some more Will Smith in :)

Made me think...maybe independence day too? Only have one more day before he goes back to his mum's then it's back to 1 film every 2 weeks....which took forever with the LOTR trilogy :)

If he's never watched Independence Day then you might as well wait until you can rent Resurgence at the same time and double them up. It was good that you crammed in I-Robot because now you don't need to show him Enemy of The State which feels like the same film without the robots and the SF.

Toss a coin between Jaws and Serenity if you've only got the time for the one flick today - OR think about the 1950s War of The Worlds to prepare him for Independence Day or Spielberg's remake.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:01 am

No point in watching Serenity unless he's seen Firefly really.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film