Suicide Squad

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Nethlyn

Suicide Squad

Postby Nethlyn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:42 pm

Animalmother wrote:Anyone seen Suicide Squad yet? Apparently its as ham arsed as BvS in the script department. Not so sure I'm bothered seeing it.

Jez wrote:Seen the trailer for it a few weeks ago and while I'm not a fan of hero stuff I thought I'd probably go watch it as it looked a lot of fun. Heard nothing but bad reviews on it on radio since then so it's put me right off sadly.

Wrathbone wrote:Friend at work has seen it, said it was okay but boring, 6/10.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Nethlyn

Re: Suicide Squad

Postby Nethlyn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Didn't want the last big new release of the summer to not get a thread of its own. First time I went to see this I wasn't in reviewer mode so at least one of my four freebie tickets will go on another viewing.

Instant impression: 15 meant 15 thankfully, that's the Deadpool effect shining through. Heavy Tarantino influence in the way the characters are introduced.

DC's opposite problem to Marvel- potentially too many villains instead of too many heroes, led to the same result - a "proper" villain that can be seen as underwhelming because of deliberately slow development, someone you wouldn't expect to be painted as such an OTT bad guy stealing the show because of it and the whole film explores degrees of villany among the action and the comedy. Just like Bill Murray in Ghostbusters, the definition of "cameo" is stretched massively because of all of the Batman stuff getting filmed in one block and then split up, it probably only adds up to 5mins but again good editing makes you think he's in it for much longer.

It's an editing masterpiece compared to BvS in the cinema release. The music choices were 80-90% successful in pushing the comedic side to a villains team and David Ayer took care to make sure they did something the good guys would never do in this type of comic book film (might save that discussion for a spoiler video) to make it stand out. Editing stops it turning into the Joker And Harley Quinn Show even if for Leto it is, Joker Begins. [EDIT] Jai Courtney turns in a good performance probably because he didn't have an accent to bother with and could play an Australian. One of his montage scenes is still a 5 second parody of/homage to Bronson with the way he looks through the bars hence mixing him up with Tom Hardy.

Could stand to watch this again and the sequel would naturally be more interesting even if I expect Justice League to be better than this, but like Deadpool it's another area of the comic book film world that Warner have expanded into and it works, probably better than a Sinister Six film from Sony would've done before that was cancelled. Just like we all laughed at the idea of an in-the-dark-no-lighting superhero fight as in the worst Cap America film (see the Honest Trailer) and then 25 years later it's suddenly cool in Daredevil on TV, Suicide Squad is a grower, even if it's derivative and has shades of other genre movies you've seen before such as
Spoiler: show
Cloverfield and Resident Evil Apocalypse
. Didn't feel like it was trying desperately hard to take time setting up much of the expanded Universe, which is done in the same type of abstract ways as in BvS plus a couple of verbal scenes making sure Superman is verbally mentioned just like Netflix Marvel shows don't namedrop or make reference to the films all the time (but Agents of Shield does, and can suffer for it).

So ****/6 from me, solid entertainment that lives up to the certificate most of the time, thunder stolen away from the proper villain of the piece as the rest of them are more interesting and of course the Joker Begins stuff hovers over the main plot throughout. But glad I caught it on the big screen just like BvS and the other comic films.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Animalmother

Re: Suicide Squad

Postby Animalmother » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:47 pm

I never knew Tom Hardy was in it.

Heading to cinema tomorrow, probably to see Bourne but might give this a punt if the showtime is convenient.

Return to TV & Film