Assassin's Creed Trailer

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Assassin's Creed Trailer

Postby Snowy » Sun May 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Stormbringer wrote:
Snowy wrote:No, all that bollocks is alive and well in every single game.

I actually liked that "bollocks" -- at least what I saw of it toward the end of the first game. It got me really excited. I was looking forward to seeing more of it too, but I crashed out of the computer-gaming hobby before the second game came out, so I never found out what happened next. There's no way I'd get back into it all now; I'm too invested in other hobbies and childrearing!

For me the pieces of Eden and the whole Animus thing got in the way of their being able to really tell a decent story. Plus the Animus section where you were forcibly wrenched out of your suspended disbelief by the very game that had put it there, in order to carry out some task of indescribably tedium or to play through some exposition of a plot which was tissue-thin to begin with... Ugh. The setting was enough for me, adding in mystical future/aliens mumbo jumbo didn't help any, and made for several very silly endings. Real threat from real people with no mysticism would have suited me just fine.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun May 15, 2016 5:09 pm

I suppose they needed a vehicle to tell the story from its historical perspective, something to glue you to all these periods in history or whatever. I have to agree though Ian, I hated being pulled out of the great game into some cutscenes with snarky man and whatever trite rubbish was being concocted to throw at me.

History is full of far more interesting stories than those made up by this bunch.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Sun May 15, 2016 5:18 pm

Well, if the game had stuck to being a purely historical adventure instead of a sci-fi/aliens thing I'd have thought it was excellent too...but at the time I was playing it I was heavily into numerology, conspiracy theories, esotericism etc., so it was playing right to my areas of interest. I was already "programmed" to buy right into a story about ancient astronauts and ancient magical artefacts.

The fact that the first game left on a cliff-hanger ending has left me in a kind of suspense for the past nine years. I hope some day I will have the opportunity to catch up and find out what happens.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 16, 2016 11:25 am

Until the third Ezio game the real world stuff was ok. I think it helped to give the game a bit of meaning, now the games feel like they are lacking something.

Interesting that the director is the same one who did Macbeth, I watched that films this weekend and thought it was beautifully shot. My hopes have been raised slightly knowing that.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Mon May 16, 2016 12:20 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Interesting that the director is the same one who did Macbeth, I watched that films this weekend and thought it was beautifully shot. My hopes have been raised slightly knowing that.

+1 Respect!
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Previous

Return to TV & Film