X-Men:Apocalypse

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

X-Men:Apocalypse

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:05 pm

Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Subway Diet

Re: X-Men:Apocalypse

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:19 pm

Yeah, I'll watch that. :)

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:46 pm

Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:32 pm

So cool. Can't wait :D
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed May 11, 2016 9:20 am

X-Men Apocalypse is now at 49% which is a lower RT rating than the widely shunned X-Men: The Last Stand (58%) and Forbes have called the movie "A Franchise-Killing Disaster". Ouch.

Time for X-Force and New Mutants to step in.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Wed May 11, 2016 9:26 am

I've watched every X-MEN film to date and I've always found it to be a highly questionable franchise, with each new instalment bringing down the quality just a little bit more...and I never thought the first one was that great to begin with. I will be giving this one a miss, though may catch it on Amazon Prime if it's ever showing for free.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Tank

Postby Tank » Wed May 11, 2016 12:09 pm

An interesting article about one (of many things) that has always hobbled the X Men films. They are ashamed of themselves (or at least there comic book roots and origins)

http://nerdist.com/have-x-men-costumes- ... franchise/
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed May 11, 2016 12:47 pm

That's true of most modern superhero films to a large extent, though. I guess X-Men do seem more conservative than most. I don't have a problem with steering costumes more towards reality than spandex as long as the spirit of them is retained. Good case in point is Captain America, who started in the films with a spangly but practical outfit in WW2 and then had the piss taken out of him by his comrades in Avengers Assemble because he was wearing a proper, electric blue spandex onesie. :lol: And then he toned it down again.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed May 11, 2016 1:32 pm

Bright colours have a different effect in different mediums, and I can understand why most modern superhero films tone down the outfits a little. It's been happening for decades and not just to superheroes; when Star Trek first visited cinemas in 1979, they completely redesigned the iconic Starfleet uniforms because they appeared too garish on the big screen. Exactly the same thing happened when The Next Generation had its first cinema trip.

Still, the X-Men probably have the biggest change out of any superhero film, but I'm not convinced that's down to a lack of respect for the source material. It's not as if the comic designs are identical to their originals after 40-50 years. Design always changes to suit the medium, the times and the intended audience.

Tank

Postby Tank » Wed May 11, 2016 2:00 pm

You might be right by why are they still rocking the black leather/pvc outfits like the Matrix has just hit the cinemas?

The X Men as a franchise has (ironically) failed to evolve beyond 'we are being opressed and exploited'. The single most interesting thing that has happened is First Class which expendaded Magnetos back story to really good effect.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed May 11, 2016 2:58 pm

The Apocalypse X-Men uniform just looks like body armour to me:

Tank

Postby Tank » Wed May 11, 2016 3:30 pm

Raid wrote:The Apocalypse X-Men uniform just looks like body armour to me

Well I mean precisely that's it. Beyond there powers there is a distinct lack of visual identity. If you channel surf you can spot Cap, Iron Man or Hulk. These folks just look boring.

As an aside has anyone here seen the alternate ending to The Wolverine?

Spoiler: show

Tell me you wouldn't want to see that in action?

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Wed May 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Yeah, that is pretty awesome, Tank. If the first film had started out on that foot, and if the characters of Sabretooth and Toad had not been included, I think it would have been a pretty decent film. I actually wish the whole franchise had been REBOOTED with First Class instead of trying to tie it back in to the previous films.

Sophie Turner is very nice though.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed May 11, 2016 4:04 pm

Tank wrote:Well I mean precisely that's it. Beyond there powers there is a distinct lack of visual identity. If you channel surf you can spot Cap, Iron Man or Hulk. These folks just look boring.

I was referring to this:
Tank wrote:You might be right by why are they still rocking the black leather/pvc outfits like the Matrix has just hit the cinemas?

I thought you were suggesting they were wearing Matrix-esque black leather and PVC, which is how this franchise started. I agree, they're boring as hell, and literally the only thing that suggests we're looking at the X-Men in that shot is Nightcrawler's tail.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you are actually excited to see this? The trailers have completely put me off, because we're clearly being treated to another half an hour of ultra-detailed landmark gore at some point during the film, and I'm just bored of it. CA:Civil War was surprisingly tame on that front, which I found refreshing.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Fri May 20, 2016 6:13 pm

Ahead of any review, Apocalypse felt like the way Last Stand would've turned out had Singer not had that schedule clash and directed the whole lot instead of Brett Ratner finishing it. Hopefully he (Singer) will stick around for more than just the "last" one he wants to do.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Next

Return to TV & Film