X-Men:Apocalypse

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
elgaucho

Re: X-Men:Apocalypse

Postby elgaucho » Sun May 22, 2016 6:01 pm

I'm sorry... but good golly was that bad. :(

The tacky effects and CGI.... the robotic acting from Sophie Turner... I don't know wtf was happening with Olivia Munn and her three lines....

Jennifer Lawrence was the best... no... only good thing about the film.

I didn't have high expectations going in, which meant the bar was already pretty low.

I'm so clueless about it I didn't even know who was directing it, so when I saw Singer at the end my jaw dropped... he Shyamalanananed.... :shock:

Such a shame that half the Marvel Universe gets great movies, and the other half becomes this.... THING.
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun May 22, 2016 6:48 pm

I sadly have to mirror El's feelings towards it and felt it was often marred even more so by the various cuts back to moments from the first X-Men movie which you remember so fondly only now placed amidst an utter car crash of a movie. It all makes you wonder if the once truly talented Singer has since suffered a director's lobotomy ala Shyamalan as you already mentioned because the sudden fall from grace is every bit as significant here. How on earth can this come from the same guy who blew us away sixteen years ago with the original X-Men? Most if not all of the new characters are terribly underused and underdeveloped and once again it is Fassbender that is left to fill in the void left behind which he does so with aplomb.

I won't say that the amazingly well realised Quicksilver scene saved the film but it was easily the standout moment that hit home just how below average the rest of the movie was and my god is it average. Oscar Isaac does his best to make Apocalypse a memorable villain but it's all in vain by the end of the movie because try as you might it's nigh on impossible to take him seriously and he comes over as a lowly caricature of the character you were expecting him to be. Even Jennifer Lawrence looks as though she's had enough of playing Raven in this which is a shame as she is normally pretty great.

Also who oversaw the CGI in this film? Is it 1998 again? The CGI in this is utterly abysmal and ruined so many scenes for me. I guess they blew the budget on the Quicksilver scene.

X-Men: The Last Stand wasn't the low point of the series, this most certainly is. Reboot please. Singer is done.
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Sun May 22, 2016 6:57 pm

I stand to correct myself. Quiksilver was the only good thing in the movie.

That scene was fun, I have to admit.

Lawrence wasn't great, but she was the best of the main characters. Fassbender came off a little wooden too, if I had to pass judgment.

I don't think there was enough in the writing to really give anyone a chance... but the direction definitely didn't do any favours.

There's no soul, no life, no charisma to the movie.

It's a corporate cash in at best, but it deserves to languish in Mephisto's rectum.
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 23, 2016 7:21 pm

I think the only reason the X-Men films were any good was because of Wolverine and even in Last Stand it was a struggle with him in it. So I'm not that surprised this one has turned out like it has. I never really found any of the other X-Men that interesting in their film versions.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Thu May 26, 2016 5:11 am

The film is certainly Marmite to viewers I'll give you that. Archangel's creation being massively toned down for the 12A/PG-13 Audience doesn't help its case.

A lot of the hate for this film IMO came from the angle Deadpool took but the X-Men films are Fox's Avengers so until Singer's final film they'll stick to different cuts on Blu Ray to put any more violence back in or have a different direction (which reminds me to get watching the Rogue Cut of DoFP).
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Thu May 26, 2016 7:46 am

I noticed you mentioned the Deadpool angle several times in your video review. I don't think Deadpool has done anything drastic or innovative and it definitely doesn't skew my expectations for any superhero films. Maybe I'm not being analytical enough :)

I'm going to see this anyway as a long time reader of X-men I feel duty bound (long time reader but a loooong time ago).

Tickets for tonight

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:11 pm

So Rusty? What did you think of it?
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:47 pm

It was ... odd.
I take it back : I think I've definitely been spoiled by other superhero films (Avengers, Cap America, Deadpool etc) but it wasn't all bad.
Maybe there'll be a directors cut or something to fill in some gaps but I can't even remember the plot if I'm honest.

Still, it wasn't a wasted evening, it's another blockbuster seen and kept me entertained.

I rewatched Watchmen the other day. Now that's a film :)

Previous

Return to TV & Film