Upcoming Movies

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Subway Diet

Re: Upcoming Movies

Postby Subway Diet » Fri May 18, 2018 3:40 pm

The classic "What if The Muppets were in adult situations!" idea, but done by the actual Jim Henson Company? :-k
End of an Era

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri May 18, 2018 4:06 pm

That was sort of looking good until that end bit. Just pure silly. Thought it might be clever adult comedy.

katarn

Postby katarn » Sat May 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Regarding that film... :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44263925

The creators of the famous children's TV show Sesame Street have launched a lawsuit against an upcoming sex, drugs and violence-laden puppet-based movie called the Happytime Murders.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun May 27, 2018 5:45 am

Huh. I thought that they were all part of the same company.
End of an Era

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun May 27, 2018 5:19 pm

Subway Diet wrote:Huh. I thought that they were all part of the same company.

I thought so too; it is part of the Jim Henson Company from what I can tell. I can absolutely understand the creators of Sesame Street having a problem with it mind.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun May 27, 2018 6:49 pm

It sounds like they only have a problem with the wording of the marketing ("No Sesame. No Street.") which is absolutely fair enough I think.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu May 31, 2018 12:20 pm

Solo looks like it is set to bomb big time right now having only made a paltry $179 in 5 days (TLJ made $104 million in a single day) and for me 100 per cent cements the fact that Star Wars is now so completely oversaturated to the point that people just don't want to go and watch Star Wars anymore. Deadpool 2 the sequel to an r rated movie that almost never even got made is officially making more bank than a new Star Wars film.

A new SW movie was once an all time milestone event and one that you would wait years in between for with rabid anticipation but for many now Disney are slowly but surely killing that that was once sacred and fans are calling for Kathleen Kennedy to be made directly responsible ie be fired for it.

"In the world of Star Wars, where the expectations are so high and interest rises to a fever pitch, it's being universally called a disappointment or an underwhelming performance."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wo ... t-10287984

Not even 71% fresh on RT will save it now as the fans have turned their back on it from the off. I guess The Last Jedi really did more of a number on the franchise than we realised.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu May 31, 2018 12:23 pm

Prey wrote:Solo looks like it is set to bomb big time right now having only made a paltry $179 in 5 days (TLJ made $104 million in a single day) and for me 100 per cent cements the fact that Star Wars is now so completely oversaturated to the point that people just don't want to go and watch Star Wars anymore. Deadpool 2 the sequel to an r rated movie that almost never even got made and is officially making more bank than a new Star Wars film.

A new SW movie was once an all time milestone event and one that you would wait years in between for with rabid anticipation but for many now Disney are slowly but surely killing that that was once sacred and fans are calling for Kathleen Kennedy to be made directly responsible ie be fired for it.

"In the world of Star Wars, where the expectations are so high and interest rises to a fever pitch, it's being universally called a disappointment or an underwhelming performance."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wo ... t-10287984

Not even 71% fresh on RT will save it now as the fans have turned their back on it from the off. I guess The Last Jedi really did more of a number on the franchise than we realised.

It's the same deal as the Ubisoft annual franchises, AC and the like. Sure, there'll be some die-hard fans who'll buy/go see every new release, but for the majority I'd say you become fatigued with it pretty quickly, and probably dip in and out depending on whether you like the sound of one in particular or if the reviews are outstanding.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu May 31, 2018 12:26 pm

Star Wars should never have become something that you only 'dip in and out of' though is the point Sly mate. It's fucking Star Wars. STAR WARS DAMMIT!!!

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Thu May 31, 2018 12:31 pm

Does anyone know why it was released in May instead of, as has been traditional for the past three years, at Christmas? Just seems too soon after The Last Jedi.

It would have made more sense to release Solo December 2018, then Episode IX in December 2019.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu May 31, 2018 12:33 pm

I'm not really fussed personally. The diabolical prequels were completely unnecessary, so more unnecessary stuff on top of that seems almost irrelevant to me. That line was already crossed a long time ago (in a galaxy far away).

Rogue One was pretty good though.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu May 31, 2018 12:36 pm

Prey wrote:Star Wars should never have become something that you only 'dip in and out of' though is the point Sly mate. It's fucking Star Wars. STAR WARS DAMMIT!!!

I mean, I was agreeing with you, I hate all this annual franchise shit. I'm just saying I'm sure that's why people just aren't that bothered about them after a film every year for the past four years. :P

It's unrealistic to expect the same massive audience coming back year after year, game/film after game/film, especially if they're a bit slapdash or half-baked and essentially being thrown out at regular intervals for $$ reasons. People generally have too little money to go round too many things and so if the quality slips it's natural they'll look elsewhere.

Spend time on something, pour your love and passion into it, and success will follow.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu May 31, 2018 1:15 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Prey wrote:Star Wars should never have become something that you only 'dip in and out of' though is the point Sly mate. It's fucking Star Wars. STAR WARS DAMMIT!!!

I mean, I was agreeing with you, I hate all this annual franchise shit

Aye sorry man I made that sound all wrong. You're right and Disney need to realise that like Ubisoft taking the time inbetween to craft something truly special is the way to go and not just bowing to thinking that constant fan service is the way to go when all we are left with is a deeper and deeper resentment toward it all when it comes out all wrong.

of course I'm excited for the Boba Fett movie but that's not say there's no trepidation behind it all because it's one hallowed character that has never been delved into all that much compared to the likes of Han at least. If they learn from Solo and take their time they could well deliver something utterly mind blowing.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu May 31, 2018 1:36 pm

I don't think Star Wars over-saturation is the real problem with Solo. It's more that it's a story nobody asked for that had a very troubled production and ended up being salvaged into something acceptable but bland. I wasn't at all excited about Solo when it was announced because I expected it would just be a box-ticker (Han meets Chewie, does the Kessel run, gambles with Lando, etc), and that's precisely what it is. If you haven't seen Solo, chances are you already know or have guessed the important bits of the story, and so actually watching the film will be going through the motions.

The supposed Obi-Wan film that is going to take place between Sith and A New Hope is much more interesting to me, because I have only vague ideas of what that could be. Boba Fett is a trickier prospect, because taking a beloved villain and making them the protagonist means you have to show some kind of decent or redeemable side, and that is very difficult to pull off well. Maybe make the first third pre-ROTJ where he's the bad-ass bounty hunter we all know, the middle third him crawling out of the sarlaac and rethinking his life and the final third being some kind of redemption?
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu May 31, 2018 2:30 pm

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film