Upcoming Movies

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Upcoming Movies

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:57 pm

The trailers for Cruise's latest looked shockingly awful, so I'm not too surprised, but how do you get to that figure of a $100million loss? The budget and marketing together make $275million.

Incidentally, the Brendan Fraser series was actually the third series of Mummy films. The first was from the thirties.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:00 pm

This despite the fact that the movie was the biggest global opening ever for Cruise at $169.3M. However, relative to the production investment here, which we are informed is estimated at $345M in total production and global P&A spend (broken out $195M production cost and $150M distribution/ad expenses), those records — and even this weekend’s No. 1 overseas hold of $53M — are not enough to get Mummy over these hurdles.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/the-mummy-t ... 202114482/

You also have to take into account Cruise's own slice, no doubt somewhere in the $20-40 Million region?
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Ah ha.

I had to look the film up on Wikipedia, and it says it's supposed to be the first of a shared universe series of old horror film reboots. I wonder if this will put a stop to that.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Raid wrote:Ah ha.

I had to look the film up on Wikipedia, and it says it's supposed to be the first of a shared universe series of old horror film reboots. I wonder if this will put a stop to that.

I read somewhere there's already been one? Maybe it was only semi-linked to this series. Was it something vampire-related?
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:17 pm

I only found that out through wikipedia, which said The Mummy was the first. They have announced the second film, but it's Bride of Frankenstein. Dracula is one of the films listed, but there's been no announcement of when.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:51 pm

I thought cruise was turning a corner with that Edge of Tomorrow film he did a few years back. He was quite good in that. Seems he has quickly reverted back to making films about "Tom cruise" again though.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Am I going daft, or didn't they try and dark reboot of the Monster movies not that long ago?

Yeah, with Aaron Eckhart as Frankenstein's Monster and Luke Evans as Dracula. Made a balls up of that as well. #-o
End of an Era

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Subway Diet wrote:Am I going daft, or didn't they try and dark reboot of the Monster movies not that long ago?

Yeah, with Aaron Eckhart as Frankenstein's Monster and Luke Evans as Dracula. Made a balls up of that as well. #-o

I think that was another attempt at creating a franchise that flopped spectacularly. How the fuck do you manage to spend more money promoting a film than the production budget? The lesson that won't be taken from this is stop making the same old shit and try something new.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:04 am

I, Frankenstein, which was the Eckhart film, was Lionsgate not Universal and based on a graphic novel so a a totally separate thing.

I'd always be wary of stories claiming a film is going to lose a studio X amount after only a few weeks being out. Even the biggest flops tend to make their money back eventually through home purchases.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Glad to see the bubble has finally burst on the Transformers franchise. It's made just $270 Million in 6 days $73 Million of that domestically, an all time low for the series. In 6 days the last outing had already hit close to $130 Million.

Anyone outside of China had had enough of these movies not one not even two but as far back as three movies ago as we had to endure three of them in just the last six years. Each time they buried everything we actually love about Transformers firmly into the dirt causing even the most die hard fans to go ok that’s enough. We want Transformers. Give us Transformers or don’t even bother. They never listened and we all know what happens when you don’t listen. You only end up suffering.

I was 10 when I first fell in love with all things Transformers and I never dreamed one day I’d witness them on the big screen. The sad fact being they have got it all so wrong each and every time the 10 year old in me is STILL TO THIS DAY waiting for the true Transformers movie I once fantasised about to be made a reality. These piles of dung are not it.

Not even remotely close. Get rid of Bay. Get rid of Bayem. Get back to what actually makes people love Transformers and just why fans are so deeply connected to them. My inner 10 year old will be eternally grateful if you do.

Also anyone who thinks taking any blame off of Bay’s shoulders is in any way or form justified – just no. The guy has enough clout in Hollywood to know EXACTLY what he’s signing on to direct far in advance and I still don’t believe he’s done with the franchise because $$$$$. These are his nest egg and have been for a decade hence his ok one more then one more bs. Why would you walk away from that voluntarily?

The actual Transformers have been misused and misrepresented from day one thanks primarily to Bay being the director and the many traits he brings to movie making, good or bad. The poor ticket turn out is the best possible way for people to give a show of hands that this isn’t what we asked for that may just make the studio think ok this is no longer working, time for an ACTUAL rethink – not just a smoke and mirrors one.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Oats Studios 2nd short. Vietnam gets freaky..

Spoiler: show
It ends just as it's about to kick off :?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:40 am

Animalmother wrote:Oats Studios 2nd short. Vietnam gets freaky..

Spoiler: show
It ends just as it's about to kick off :?
Well, they're meant to be experimental scene setting shorts about firing the imagination of the viewer. I think the hope is that some of these could be fleshed out further if there's demand for them.

Either way, I'm enjoying these so far. It's like all of Blomkamp's style and interests distilled into their purest form. Without a studio holding him back, he'll slo-mo liquefy as many people as likes! :lol:
End of an Era

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:25 am

Prey wrote:Each time they buried everything we actually love about Transformers firmly into the dirt causing even the most die hard fans to go ok that’s enough. We want Transformers. Give us Transformers or don’t even bother.

I was 10 when I first fell in love with all things Transformers and I never dreamed one day I’d witness them on the big screen. The sad fact being they have got it all so wrong each and every time the 10 year old in me is STILL TO THIS DAY waiting for the true Transformers movie I once fantasised about to be made a reality. These piles of dung are not it.

I never really got Transformers as I don't think I've watched anything apart from the movies. What are they missing?
What would make them more transformery?
Do you base your love for them on the cartoons or comics?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:15 am

I don't think it is about making them more Transformery, they are just not very good films. They need a better script and a different director.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:24 am

England is Mine, biopic about Morrissey if your into that sort of thing.

It's weird having a biopic about someone who is still alive and really isn't all that old.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film