Star Trek Beyond - Out 22/7

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Jez

Re: Star Trek Beyond - Out 22/7

Postby Jez » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:30 am

I've avoided your review not because of spoilers but I knew I would be seeing it with the older lad at some point and it would be interesting to have my own thoughts on going in then come back and watch what you thought.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:45 pm

Overall solid movie as long as you don't engage the brain afterward. Watched on 2d though I suspect it would have been amazing in 3d or imax.

+ decent action scenes standard for the reboot.
+ bit more exploration of the various character dynamics I liked the more scottyness.
+ Beastie boys
+ the main roles like kirk etc are slotting into the the star trek feeling much more.

- plot is a bit bonkers with loads of avoidable plot holes that could have been easily not there. A lot of handwavium going on with some fairy dubious motivations going on.

- fight scenes can be very difficult to follow with camera switchyness much of the time

- Sadly Idris Elba didn't really bring much here until the very end and weakly at that.

- poor chekov good character that will have to be written out somehow.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:51 pm

Jez wrote:I've avoided your review not because of spoilers but I knew I would be seeing it with the older lad at some point and it would be interesting to have my own thoughts on going in then come back and watch what you thought.

-Overall solid movie as long as you don't engage the brain afterward. Watched on 2d though I suspect it would have been amazing in 3d or Imax.

Believe me I would love to catch it again in 2D Imax as they really have ramped up the effects to make the most of it compared to the last two New Timeline films, but I'll also settle for the same big 2D screen with better seats, all depends how long it sticks around compared to the BFG which will share out the IMAX screens depending on which one makes more dosh.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:12 pm

I went to see this on Tuesday and thought it was pretty formulaic and predictable, but still a good watch, mainly because Justin Lin did a good job of giving the ensemble cast screen time so it was less the Kirk and Spock show, and more an ensemble piece which is what a good Star Trek film should be.

Quinto however appears to think that the more he plays Spock, the more wooden he should become, so much so that he seems to have had surgery on his face in order to make sure he can't express any emotion with it. Urban was fantastic as usual and I wish he got more work.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:45 pm

Saw it yesterday, nothing special but enjoyable all the same. Missed the first 5 minutes so was at a bit of a loss at the beginning.

Karl Urban should be in everything, he's awesome :D

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:01 am

Easily the best of the reboot films. I mean, not fucking hard to beat Into Darkness and it has less eyerolling dumb than the first film. Its not exactly great but its better than I expected. I think a lot of that comes from more Urban than before. Thats not to say theres no eye rolling dumb right enough "oh hey, look a vintage motorbike is on this planet for no reason, I'm sure it wont feature in some ropey CGI bollocks later on!" or how they uhm... turn the tables on insurmountable odds near the end. For fucking fucketty sake!! :lol: I couldnt stand it even if thats how they planned it. :lol:

Cool space battle near the start, that was probably the best non-Urban thing though I did like the facepainty lady, she was quite good.

Oh and I know we're not allowed to say it but Anton Yelchin is probably the worst thing in the movie! How they said "thats a great performance, good show!" I'll never know. :/
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:51 am

His accent is comically bad.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:48 pm

Have to agree with the "deliberate hamming" view on Yelchin's performance given he had Russian roots so knew exactly how that accent should've sounded. Never did like the fact that he was saddled with being 2nd-string comic relief in these new timeline flicks, certainly for the first one/11 anyway. As always still want to see it again but we'll see how the showings line up.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Previous

Return to TV & Film