Captain America - Civil War

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Re: Captain America - Civil War

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Tue May 03, 2016 11:28 am

Quietman wrote:There was no Iron Man 3.

And no Bourne Legacy. I feel your pain.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue May 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Iron Man 3 was good.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue May 03, 2016 3:04 pm

Quietman wrote:There was no Iron Man 3.

Quoted for its poignant truth.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Tue May 03, 2016 3:26 pm

Is this a widely-held opinion in PWF then?

Although some parts were absurd, I enjoyed IM3 a lot -- partly because a portion of it was set (though not filmed) in my wife's home town.

It was certainly much better than IM2!
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue May 03, 2016 6:16 pm

IM2 while no IM1 has a pretty bad rep that still confuzzles me to this very day. Follow ups are notoriously difficult beasts that we all do know. What excuse IM3 had I do not know. The entire thing was a complete shit show and I'm glad they are bringing Jon Favreau back to the MCU in a much more official capacity perhaps so he can direct once more.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue May 03, 2016 6:51 pm

I enjoyed all three Iron Man films, and two is actually my favourite.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue May 03, 2016 7:13 pm

Three was "ok" in the most unremarkable way until the ending. It's the only MCU film I don't own.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 03, 2016 7:37 pm

One Iron Man film was about all I could stomach of Robert Downy Junior, he is better in small doses.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 03, 2016 8:58 pm

IM2 > IM1 > IM3.

I don't get why so many people hate the second one. It's my favourite MCU film after the first Avengers and Guardians. As for IM3, it's not that I hate it, but it's definitely missing Jon Favreau's flair. Guy Pearce's character is a really dull baddy as well, and the whole "Iron Man is Stark, not the suits" thing really wasn't something I needed reinforcing for most of the film. The only MCU film I rate lower than it is The Incredible Hulk, which was plain awful.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Wed May 04, 2016 7:24 am

I don't hate the second one, by the way. I just find it a bit dull/unmemorable in comparison with the first, which was awesome, and the third, which was great fun, albeit with some silly bits.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed May 04, 2016 10:44 am

I didn't like any of them much, Ol' Quippy McQuipperson Tony Stark annoyed the shit out of me from the first moment to the last.

I shouldn't be surprised though, I also did not enjoy the Avengers movie that I have seen (the crap flying aircraft carrier one), Captain America, Hulk, Thor (god what utter shite that was). But then really enjoyed Daredevil and Jessica Jones as serialisations.

I think with the films (a) all feature superheroes I didn't like as a kid and (b) are action/CGI heavy, stort-light movies of a type that bore me shitless. Story > FX always.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed May 04, 2016 6:05 pm

I feel I must agree Ian. Not into them really at all. I like watchmen and the ones you've mentioned there. Side related but Heroes was ok until it wasn't.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu May 05, 2016 9:55 am

The very reason The Winter Soldier is my second favourite MCU movie is because the Russo bros found the near perfect balance of action, political intrigue and well rounded characterisation. The odd thing is that those three specific elements are exactly what made me so excited for The Avengers movies under Joss Whedon as if you have ever seen Serenity you will know just how great can be at delivering all three which brings me to the point of how it somehow all went wrong with Age of Ultron. Dull predictable action fare. Terrible plot and way over the top campy main bad guy. Pretty much none existent characterisation throughout. It's clear to see the pressure he was under was immense and even the most talented writer/director can buckle under the strain.

I've not seen Civil War yet but I completely know what to expect from it before hand and that it won't disappoint on any level that's not to say it won't have some flaws I just know the Russo's know what I want from the MCU and they know exactly how to serve it up.

I do think that an Iron Man 4 is needed to RDJ to finish his career defining role on a high because if it ends with IM3 fans of the MCU will forever feel a sense of resentment towards Marvel for fucking things up so badly. Pretty sure RDJ has gone on record to say he will do one more Iron Man movie so hopefully that will be it even better yet put it in the hands of the man who started it all - Jon Favreau perhaps overseen by the Russo's and you surely cannot lose.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu May 05, 2016 9:59 am

I kind of assume Iron Man will die or retire in Infinity War, possibly passing the torch to someone younger.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri May 06, 2016 9:41 am

I struggle with superhero films when they focus on something intangible - gods, villains with world-destroying powers and mystical mumbo-jumbo always turn me off a film sharpish. Give me a plain old villain every time. I think that was the reason I loved the first season of Daredevil (with Kingpin) but found the second half of season 2 (Japanese mystical fanny and armies of ninjas) so tedious.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film