Boycotting Ridley Scott movies

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

Boycotting Ridley Scott movies

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:56 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 85345.html

What a moron. Decided to do a personal boycott of his movies from now on (however will still watch his old stuff !). Look I am not naive and I know Hollywood actors sell Hollywood films but given the casting of all major middle eastern characters is always played by caucasian actors is just plain wrong and an insult to the very culture he is so fucking go out of his way to portray.

How are talented actors from other regions in the world not given a chance to show their talents if we all we see are the same fucking faces again and again and again. This applies to TV and radio. (Dear god how many times do we have to see the same fucking celebrity comedians do each other comedy quizz shows like a demented merry-go-round. Seriously its like being in the Star Wars universe where the entire universe is populated by 10 characters who have speaking lines and everyone else is just background noise). Apart from Omar Sheriff how many actors can you name come from the Middle East......yep that is my point, and Omar Sheriff was famous back in the 70s !.

Ridley Scott is dead to me now.

Phew - I just spared myself from Bladerunner 2
Last edited by Achtung Englander on Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

Nethlyn

Re: Boycotting Ridley Scott movies

Postby Nethlyn » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Race has nothing to do with whether I'd boycott the film, just the knowledge that there will be a longer cut six months down the line on disc as usual from Ridley Scott and it's which one do you pick.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Srcr. Maligree

Postby Srcr. Maligree » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Ah, "good" old whitewashing.

Had to check that news somewhere else, as the Independent website shows this:
You have been hacked by the Syrian Electronic Army(SEA)
Steam & Origin: Maligree ~~~ PSN: SrcrMaligree

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:26 pm

I think his point is perfectly valid to be honest. Obviously this all boils down to money and shame on him for wanting as big a budget as possible and to put the biggest names on the posters etc. etc. But there simply isn't as many ethnically diverse big star names that draw a crowd as there are Caucasians. It isn't an insult to the culture to portray these characters with white actors.

The movie industry is a nasty profit and ego driven world, it has a lot of work to do going into the future to try and diversify and actually be more culturally representative. But boycotting this movie just because it's got white lead actors? That's a bit silly if you ask me. Nobody kicked up a fuss when Russell Crowe was cast as Noah for gods sake.

Achtung Englander wrote:Ridley Scott is dead to me now.

Seriously? He's out to make money. You said yourself that you're not naive, Hollywood movies look after Hollywood stars. This is hardly different to anything he's done for the last twenty years.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:53 pm

What got my gripe is that there are ways to say things. I am not talking about being PC and all that rubbish but more diplomatic language is needed and I find it pretty ironic that the people he wants to film were Arab / Jewish but he using all white actors in the lead roles. Its all about bums on seats, I get it, but if title directed by Ridley Scott cannot attract people to see his films, and he relies on big star names to do his marketing than that really does not say much about his reputation, or the faith the studios have in his calibre of work.

My larger point is that we do not know if local actors out there can do a better job than the likes of Chris Bale because they are never given the chance. That is my underlying point. Do you know how many indie films or foreign films I have seen that are superb because the actors, who are unknown to me, do a fantastic job. Sometimes a lot of the Hollywood actors just phone it in and completely fuck up the experience.

I started developing this gripe when I saw Captain Corelli's Mandolin when a Spanish Penelope Cruz plays a Greek, in English, with a Spanglish accent. What the fuck . Are you seriously telling me they could not find a talented Greek actress.

Its fucking stupid an I am getting jaded by seeing the same bloody faces on the big screen.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:55 pm

Srcr. Maligree - grow up

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:26 pm

Having an all white cast doesn't surprise me. I'm more concerned that it will be a load of old tripe, and nothing like the biblical story, much like Noah was which I only watched under sufferance as my wife wanted to see it.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Tank

Postby Tank » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:32 pm

Last edited by Tank on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Tank

Postby Tank » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:33 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:Decided to do a personal boycott of his movies from now on (however will still watch his old stuff !).

You want to make a point but you don't want to be without Alien or Bladerunner? Ok.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:34 pm

:P

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:38 pm

Quite a brave thread to make, since it can be easily torn apart. Fair enough if you feel strongly about it.

But yeah, if you boycott Scott's movies on this principle you have to pretty much boycott every Hollywood movie I think. Otherwise your argument loses any weight it might have. They all cast their films purely in a way to maximise profits.

At least films with any kind of big budget.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:46 pm

As I said it was how Scott answered the question that pissed me off. I know that I am on a losing side but I desire to live to see actors play their own culture without except-able white actors playing for white people about a culture they would only want to see from the comfort of a cinema screen.

Maybe I earn to see Omid Djalili play Winston Churchill to draw a bit of balance and see the shoe on the other foot

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:55 pm

I'd pay not to see Omid Djallili in anything again, ever.
My face is tired.

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:47 pm

I agree with Achtung Englander that Ridley Scott's response was pretty reprehensible. I don't get on racism bandwagons, but it's pretty insensitive to the people of the culture he is making a movie about to be referred to as "Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such". There's probably plenty of American actors of Middle-Eastern origin that have perfectly ordinary, American names anyway. Will Smith is black and been headlining blockbusters for decades, no-one blinks twice. It's up to the movie-makers to push boundaries and stop perpetuating stereotypes. Having a white actor doesn't guarantee success, so why should not having one imply failure? Slumdog Millionaire didn't exactly suffer at the box office.

What annoys me more about Ridley Scott is how he keeps making bad films when he's proven himself to be an amazing director. I'd like to think the problem is the screenplays but maybe he's lost it.
katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:09 pm

He's playing the game and he has been for a long time. I can't hate on him for being honest. Also good luck finding an actor who would genuinely fit the racial look of people from 2k years back. Throwing in a token arab or black man would be just as inaccurate. We always make the mistake of assuming that those who inhabit the land now look like those that did in the past. Getting current Italians to play romans for example. The proliferation of cognomens like rufus etc. suggest that the romans had a considerably fairer skin than the current olive skinned Italians (if you want to stick with popular movie terms take the sicilian speech from true Romance). The whole issue of race in the past is dominated by today's prejudices: "Hannibal was black because he came from Africa..."

He was a bit unwise in his "Mohammed so and so" phrasing but overall the snippets from the article that are quoted are just realism. All artistic endeavours (if we are going to be generous and term hollywood films as such) that involve more than one person involve compromise. The sheer amount of changes and concessions to make something of that size boggles my mind. Casting batman in the lead role was probably essential to getting the film made the way they wanted to. At least they've got a semi decent actor there with a bit of box office draw not just a vacant all american pretty boy to say words.

Next

Return to TV & Film