Point Break Reboot

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Prey
Admin

Point Break Reboot

Postby Prey » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:42 pm

So yesterday Gerard Butler was officially cast as free spirited character Bodhi in the remake of Point Break, the same character the late Patrick Swayze made all his own in Kathryn Bigelow's original outing and still remains to this day one of his most memorable movie performances of his entire film career.

Not that I mind Butler I do think he's a fantastic actor given the right material but I just can't get my head round him being cast as Bodhi whatsoever. Oh wait, he once did a film that involved surf boards so that must be ok with Hollywood. Not only that but now they also have the difficult role of filling the boots of Keanu Reeves' role as arrow to the knee cop turned surfer Johnny Utah which similarly has remained a fan favourite of his career since. But wait...there's more. Finally they will also have to find someone to play Gary Busey's role as the excellent Pappa's who was given the job of overseeing the success of Utah's undercover work and one does not simply walk into Gary Busey's shoes, unless of course you're Gary Busey...or Jake Busey.

Furthermore just why does Hollywood even wish to remake such a pivotal 90's movie that as we all know has been referenced in so many other movies since. Find something else to remake and then utterly destroy with your heaps of cash you fools. I now give you...that chase scene...well some of it at least...

While we all know Hollywood has been running out of ideas for a long time now this is one of those movies that I simply wish they would well leave alone not only out of respect for the late Mr Swayze but because of heart felt tweets such as the following...

Warner Bros plans on remaking the 1991 action-thriller Point Break. Really? How do you recreate perfection?

This is sacrilege.

They're remaking Point Break. If ever there was a time for Swayze to return Ghost-style and prevent a great wrong from happening, it's now.

Children of the 90's, prepare to die a little inside. The 'Point Break' reboot is on its way. gofobo.it/PB-REBOOT

This is madness, this is inexcusable, this is the PLEASE JUST LET IT DIE remake of my beloved Point Break.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Animalmother

Re: Point Break Reboot

Postby Animalmother » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:37 pm

I thought they were getting rid of the surfing altogether and replacing it with some new totally radical dudebroness. Fuck it, in an era where Robocop is getting remade as a PG13 movie nothing is sacred anymore. I'm guessing this will be loaded with tons of product placement and everyone will be playing an Xbone when not surfing or bank robbing.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:15 pm

I've lost count of the amount of shite remakes that have come out in the last few years.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:52 pm

Has there ever actually been a remake better than the original?

I don't count True Grit as both bored me to tears and I think its based on a book anyway.

Tank

Postby Tank » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:02 pm

"The Thing" was better then "The Thing from Another World".

I also know a few people that prefer the Dawn of the Dead remake to the original. Not sure I agree with that one, but as far as remakes go its a brilliant example of how to do it right.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:13 pm

Damn, I completely forgot about both of those excellent remakes. Well done sir.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:46 pm

The Thing remake/prequel in 2011 was actually pretty good too come to think of it. True Grit was good too.

Most of the culprits for terrible remakes tend to be modern adaptions of 80s and 90s action flicks.

The Snot Goblin

Postby The Snot Goblin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:49 pm

They already remade Point Break, albeit unofficially, in Fast and the Furious. It was blatantly ridiculous how closely it followed PB's plot.

And now the cinematographer of The Fast and the Furious is directing this Point Break remake. Obviously wasn't happy with the job he did the first time.
I am going to eat Spaceman paninis with black Hitler and there is nothing you can do about it!

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Tank wrote:"The Thing" was better then "The Thing from Another World".

I also know a few people that prefer the Dawn of the Dead remake to the original. Not sure I agree with that one, but as far as remakes go its a brilliant example of how to do it right.

I prefer the Invasion of the Body Snatchers 70s version to the original, though both are great.
katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

Marty Fuffkin

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:33 am

If they incorporate a single millisecond of parkour, I'm going on a rampage with a shotgun.

Return to TV & Film