Films I've just watched 2018

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Tichinde

Re: Films I've just watched 2018

Postby Tichinde » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:51 am

It's one of those things where the film maker tries to squeeze 15-20 hours of lore, cutscene and events from a game into a couple of hours.
So much doesn't fit and gets glossed over and it ends up feeling empty for people who don't have the previous knowledge, and ends up being a bit wank.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:54 am

I'll probably give that a miss then.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:55 pm

If you are at a loose end and happy to disconnect your brain, it is OK.

I have never been interested in lore, canon or any of that malarky. I have played WoW for far too many years, and my knowledge of the lore consists of: A portal got opened to a demony place; the Lich King was a thing and he was quite hard to kill; a dragon woke up and ruined some perfectly good zones in so doing; pandaland was shit. Various NPC's have attempted to talk to me, but my stock response of hammering Esc while chanting "Shove yer cutscenes up yer arse" has always seen me through.

The film does assume you know a lot of WoW/Warcraft lore and proceeds to batter you with it from the outset. I have just switched my brain off and am sat going "Ooh, Karazhan", "Ooh, Stormwind", "Ooh, Dalaran" etc.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Ha, that's also me in a nutshell. Spent years raiding with a hardcore crew from work but I have no idea who we're killing or why.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:51 pm

One of my best mates was a nightmare to go out in the new expansions with, as he would insist upon reading the quest text before accepting!

Of all the weirdnesses!

We have to go and do X things X times - who cares a turd why? The only Y is cash, lewt and XP!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:24 pm

He sounds like my kind of guy. :)

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:16 pm

I would be that way too, if I were playing.

Thankfully, I never took an interest in that world.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:41 pm

eVoL wrote:Jurassic World: Forgotten whatever

Its. So. Stupid! How can these films not attract good writers? It’s closer to Dino Crisis than Jurassic Park. Remember the last one where they made a new super dino and it was rubbish? SPOILER they do it again, but now it’s a really super Dino.... even though it seems to pose less of a threat than any of the dinosaurs in the first movie. The original Jurassic Park was mostly a believable premise and story, nobody was super human and their escapes were narrow and lucky. This ones like “fuck that, Chris Pratt is Thor”.

Insult to injury Goldblum is in it for about 5mins total.

Gash/10.

Jurassic Fart.

=D>

I gave this 5/10 (review in the dedicated thread). Thoroughly bored.
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:09 pm

The Ritual

I've been wanting to watch this for a while but as it's an Amazon Prime only affair I couldn't until Kath used her account on my PC and left herself logged in one evening. -_-

Anyway the movie revolves around a group of male friends who when choosing where to go away together to now in their mid 30's end up on a hiking trip together (the reason behind just why they choose this I won't get into but it's worked into the film very well throughout) and what ensues is a lot of friendly banter and such that is until things no longer go to plan and their holiday turns into something much more sinister. Rafe 'Red on You' Spall leads the pack and while none are truly outstanding they do a decent enough job of showcasing how close friends under extreme stress in a we are fucked so i don't care if you know how I really feel about you type manner can turn on one another displaying the true colours and attitudes towards the others they normally wouldn't. If like me you are at all a fan of the likes of Neil Marshall then this film is for you - just don't expect oscar worthy material only expect to be both entertained and perhaps even a little bit scared.

Spoiler: show
The Jötunn's design is fucking great and not what I was expecting at all. Not sure about the ending but then in a way it made sense and wasn't a complete cop out like many other ways it could have ended ie Luke escapes the creatures domain and gets to scream his face off at it from a distance while it can do nothing to now kill him.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Recommended that on here a while back I think! :o

We both (wife and I) enjoyed it quite a lot. Not a genre classic as you say, but well worth a watch.
My face is tired.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Adrift

Two dickheads get stranded on a yacht in the Pacific. You spend the film hoping the ballbags drown and end your misery. Soggy cunts.

Shite/10

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Superb review. Thanks Mark Kermode
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:38 pm

:lol:

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:07 pm

Ready Player One

This film completely emptied my ball sacks as I jizzed all over the 80s references, geek culture and pop references. I masturbated when things I played with as a kid got a mention. I wanked when I recognised something from the movies. I jerked off when video game characters popped up and I spanked the monkey when the movie stayed true to the book - which, outside the Bible and the complete works of Shakespeare is the most important book ever written

Actually the Shining sequence was pretty amazing, the recreation of the set was staggering good. The Excalibur reference was great too (oddly I was teaching my 4 year old the Dragon Breath chant just 2 days ago - you know - for a laugh). I got to see the 2001 space pod - I got my knob out for that scene especially. When they started talking about Atari 2600 games I almost fainted from non-stop ejaculation. This film was very Spielberg, sloppy happy ending after huge climatic battle scene. The bad guy loses and the good guy wins.Yeah nothing new.

The biggest problem is that the film is already dated. It squeezed in Minecraft at the beginning but that has now been left behind in pop culture by Fortnite (which obviously due to timing did not make it into the film). This was a slow death by nostalgia but fun was had. Put it this was way, it was miles better than Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom.

6/10

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:33 am

Tonight's viewing, since it's the 4th of July.

"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film