Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Tichinde

Re: Films I've just watched 2018

Postby Tichinde » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:34 pm

Wrathbone wrote:Avengers: Infinity War
Snip

Overall, enjoyed.
Oh the niggles!!

Wrath, I mostly agree with your spoilered post.
SPOILERS AHEAD (Duh)
Spoiler: show
Character deaths: yes. Even with upcoming films, you can x years ago them easily enough, but as long as the time stone exists, this entire rollercoaster is irrelevant. Calling it now, Thanos is sad, winds it back to try again without losing Gamorrah (Strange said there was one way they would win, and he GAVE the stone to Thanos), everyone gets a do-over because feelings. Which would be a shame, because the sacrifice was one of the better scenes in the whole thing.
Additionally, I'm still quite not team Guardians, so watching 90% of them melt bought me a measure of satisfaction ¬¬

As to Thanos and the stones, I thought the point was he could only click-nuke everything with all 6 stones. Having 4 just makes him crazy powerful (but still susceptible to Mantis sleep because reasons, but again, cracking scene) and 6 makes him immune to axe wounds (oo-er :D)

The whole Hulk thing is kinda he's sad that Thanos throat punched him into irrelevance I guess. And is completely rubbish but failing to invoke him raised more than a chuckle.

What I can't help but feel is that they killed the wrong half of everyone. Imagine if Cap, Tony, Banner, Hawkeye (for his 2 minutes of screen time to remind everyone he exists) all get dusted.
Basically, everyone who DOESN'T have active franchises and who has actors who have said they are done goes away. It solves so many problems for continuing those and they can close MCU act 1 completely. Roll on with the newer franchises.....sod part 2, end it on the craziest downer of all time :twisted: and let the current franchises go on. ooooo the madness :D

Speaking of, I hate two part films. I always feel that it needs the second part to be complete and I've only seen half a film which makes my opinion irrelevant until we have part two to complete it and part two could be ass. I'm left with half a story I guess is my issue.

That being said enjoyed this quite a lot, but will revise said opinion when I've seen the whole thing.
It's good, well paced, everyone gets solid screentime (which was a worry that it would be a character clusterfuck, splitting everyone out worked very well), it's funny when it needs to be, it's dramatic when it needs to be (that one time) and and is quite compelling. It does not feel like it's 2 and a half hours long and if you like the MCU movies, you've probably already seen it so I don't need to tell you to get in there :)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 01, 2018 6:12 am

Tichinde wrote:
Wrathbone wrote:Avengers: Infinity War
Snip

Overall, enjoyed.
Oh the niggles!!

That sums it up perfectly!

I feel I’m being too harsh on it. Most of it is really, really good, and the niggles are (for the most part) nothing more than that. I want to see it again at the cinema which I don’t think I’ve ever done with a film, and that says something. I think part of my initial response was downbeat because it wrecked me. :lol: I’m a sap who frequently cries at films, but I didn’t at Infinity War and I initially thought that meant it hadn’t produced any emotional response in me. In retrospect it did, hugely, just in a very different way to what I expected that lasted for like a day afterwards.

As for crackpot theories doing the rounds that seem plausible:

The weird orange place where Thanos spoke with young Gamora at the end? Probably the soul world inside the soul stone. What if all the souls of lives claimed by the soul stone are trapped in there? That could be a nice, convenient way of bringing them back...
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat May 05, 2018 7:17 am

The Death of Stalin

Excellent... very funny and the humour is dark as shit. I don't know how they managed it, but the opening does a brilliant job of showing the climate of terror under which people in Stalinist Russia lived, while at the same time making me laugh out loud.

Essential viewing for any fans of The Thick Of It.
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sun May 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Just got around to watching Whiplash last night and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, just my cup of tea. I love films where its a relatively small cast where there is no hiding behind special effects or other big budget tomfoolery just pure, raw, unadulterated acting. Really loved it.

JK Simmons gives off a major Sgt Hartman vibe from Full Metal Jacket too. Man is that dude ripped as well. Hats off to him, he was superb.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon May 07, 2018 8:01 am

It's a damn good film, for sure.
Not sure what's scarier though. JK Simmons, or the people who though his character was the good guy. :-k
End of an Era

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon May 07, 2018 8:10 am

Avengers: Infinity War - Honestly better than I expected it to be. When the first trailer came out, it was clear that they were having to put too much stuff into the film, and that was definitely my view on the finished product.

I very much appreciated the way they decided to end this first part; killing off half the universe and then just having Thanos give a satisfied smirk as the final shot. I really expected they'd go with the cliched "Thanos gets the final stone and then disappears into a vortex leaving our heroes wondering what's to come." I almost think it's a shame that I knew there was a second part coming (although I thought it was coming later this year, not this time in 2019). Still, it feels like they left too many of the A-list Avengers alive. Granted, you can't have them make heroic sacrifices in the second film if they're dead, which is how I expect Stark and Rogers will go out (we already know that Evans has announced his departure from the franchise, and I think Downey Jr. has been wanting to get out for years).

Story aside, this is actually the second Marvel film we watched for the first time this weekend, and I was surprised to enjoy Doctor Strange more. The universe-spanning stakes and pace of Infinity War just don't make for as enjoyable a film, and as mentioned above the sheer amount of characters they had to shoe-horn in meant that the film didn't take time to have those entertaining little character moments the franchise is known for. The film moves along insanely quickly, so much so that I spent an hour needing to go to the toilet and holding it waiting for a scene that I knew I wouldn't care about (the return to Wakanda and Rogers' reunion with Barnes - does anyone else find that relationship really tedious by this point?). The pace did cause story problems too; Thanos collected all six infinity stones far too quickly and easily - you have to wonder why he just didn't do it before.

I'm not sure I'd even put this in the top half of my favourite MCU films list. We only recently got around to watching Thor Ragnarok a few weeks ago, and despite all of the universe-spanning action that happens in Infinity War, it was just a bit dull by comparison. Thor was riotously funny in places and beautiful to look at, whereas Avengers did sorta feel like Marvel By Numbers. When you throw in this much action, it all just sorta blends into itself and nothing comes across as being particularly spectacular. Compare Thor's arrival on Earth with his fancy new axe to Thor demonstrating his full potential to Immigrant Song at the end of Ragnarok - there's just absolutely no comparison.

I think the Avengers films are too big a cash cow for Disney for them to stop being made, but I just hope they concentrate on smaller-scale stuff after this - I don't think the MCU really works with this many people competing for screen time.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Mon May 07, 2018 11:21 pm

Subway Diet wrote:It's a damn good film, for sure.
Not sure what's scarier though. JK Simmons, or the people who though his character was the good guy. :-k

People thought he was the good guy?! #-o

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue May 08, 2018 6:50 am

Medicine Man wrote:
Subway Diet wrote:It's a damn good film, for sure.

People thought he was the good guy?! #-o
Haha. I managed to stumble across some reviews from right leaning newspapers that talked about how people like that are needed now more than ever! It was worrying. It's the internet, so of course there's a fair few people who think total sacrifice and emotional abuse is the only way to meet your potential.

Speaking of JK Simmons, watched Spider-Man 3 last night.

You know, I'm not surprised to see superhero fans being hyperbolic about the quality of films.
Is it anywhere near how good the second film, or even the first? No, not at all, but those films were damn near superhero masterpieces. But is it the horrific mess as decided by common consensus? Goodness me, no. If anything, It's still better than a lot of the duller comic book movies these days.

Basically, it feels like four episodes of of a never produced Spider-Man Netflix show (with a huge budget), cut down and edited together into a movie. The way it tries to spin all the plates isn't great, stretching itself too thin at times, and then piling it on too thick at others. But, as wonky as it can be, it's still got the core things I enjoy about these movies front and centre. You've got Sam Raimi going all out with the stylish, campy look and feel while keeping a core of character driven melodrama underneath all the superhero action. That's the stuff that pulls me through the somewhat flimsy, rushed parts. It still somehow comes out better than the sum of it's parts.

And, you know what? The the emo Peter Parker dancing stuff is amazing. I did, in fact, dig on that.
How people supposedly took such an exception, especially after how much the previous films where high on silver-age goofiness, I can't understand. Maybe now that people have flushed the grimness of the Nolan and Snyder DC movies out of their system and embraced fun super hero movies again, they'll be able to reappraise the film? Who knows.
End of an Era

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 08, 2018 7:15 am

I've somehow never got round to watching Spider-Man 3, partly because most people say it's terrible and partly because I'm ambivalent about the first two and wasn't all that bothered about the third. Maybe it's time to correct that. How campy is it (with 0 being Man of Steel and 10 being Batman and Robin)?

As for Whiplash and JK Simmons (both magnificent), I get where the people saying he's the good guy are coming from, but his character is categorically not 'good'! The question implied by the film at the end is, were Fletcher's abusive methods justified considering they ultimately produced results? I assume the people saying he's the good guy mean he was in some way justified. I mean, he wasn't, he's a monster, but I understand how someone might see otherwise. There are parts of our culture which see success as the only goal in life and at whatever cost that demands. Parts of our culture need to calm down.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue May 08, 2018 8:26 am

Wrathbone wrote:I've somehow never got round to watching Spider-Man 3, partly because most people say it's terrible and partly because I'm ambivalent about the first two and wasn't all that bothered about the third. Maybe it's time to correct that. How campy is it (with 0 being Man of Steel and 10 being Batman and Robin)?

Gotta be a solid 7, going on 7.5 on that scale.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue May 08, 2018 8:34 am

Surely the whole point of Simmons' character in Whiplash was that he was neither a good guy or a bad guy? To be fair, he was an old school practitioner who never tried to hide his methods. I don't doubt all the pupils would have known he was a ball-breaker when they applied for his bands.

It's a really interesting debate when it comes to pushing towards excellence. Weighing up the collateral damage he inflicts against the possibility of finding genius.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue May 08, 2018 10:21 am

I'll just leave this article here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... enius.html

Abusive behaviour is not some magic tool that turns someone into a genius. Being exceptional comes from many places, but trying to make excuses for beating it out of people doesn't really fly.
That's the supposed fantasy of the film. That's the thing that bothered me about people taking it as an endorsement of that kind of behaviour.

Sly Boots wrote:
Wrathbone wrote:I've somehow never got round to watching Spider-Man 3, partly because most people say it's terrible and partly because I'm ambivalent about the first two and wasn't all that bothered about the third. Maybe it's time to correct that. How campy is it (with 0 being Man of Steel and 10 being Batman and Robin)?

Gotta be a solid 7, going on 7.5 on that scale.

Which is also what I'd rate the film if I gave out scores. :-k
End of an Era

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue May 08, 2018 11:39 am

Subway Diet wrote:I'll just leave this article here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... enius.html

Abusive behaviour is not some magic tool that turns someone into a genius. Being exceptional comes from many places, but trying to make excuses for beating it out of people doesn't really fly.
That's the supposed fantasy of the film. That's the thing that bothered me about people taking it as an endorsement of that kind of behaviour.

Well, that's one interpretation. But it is just an interpretation.

I don't subscribe to the notion there can be only one "correct" approach/"correct" answer to these things. Different students have always reacted to different styles of tutelage in unique ways. As long as a student can walk away from a style of tuition if it's too overbearing, then I don't see how there isn't room for both approaches to exist.

Plus, the film has some context. It's quite an extreme example of carrot & stick behaviour (mostly stick) against older students who chose to be there. It's not like he's physically caning 5 year old kids against their will.

In reality if it got too much, too many students would simply walk away. So I always got the feeling there was a limit to what he could get away with.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue May 08, 2018 12:01 pm

I feel like I need to see this film now :-k
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue May 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Do! It's brilliant.

It really got me thinking about Simmons' character on a pretty deep level. These days, I much prefer this sort of film to the usual Hollywood fare.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film