Films I've just watched 2018

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Nethlyn

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:40 am

Sly Boots wrote:Utterly baffled how professional film critics can claim in all seriousness that Bright's the worst film of the year. WTF?

2017 will definitely go down as the year critic trust went out the window for sites like Rotten Tomatoes especially when they've put a review of Downsizing on Bright's page, and the only Rotten review for Aliens was reloaded four years ago from two newspaper paragraphs when the film was new.

Critics don't seem to be nearly as harsh on films with Amazon production financing that get full releases before they go to streaming so maybe Sly has a point about snobbery.

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:43 am

Arrival

More simple than I expected but enjoyable. Much of the films tone reminded me of Gattica which is no bad thing.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:11 am

Bright then.
Best film of the year? Hell no.
Worst film of the year? Hell no.

Enjoyable enough despite it's flaws, a solid 7/10 or so for me.

Highs:
Good fun for the most part
Orc cop was great
Solid action sections

Lows:
Will Smith is now only playing Will Smith.
Gets very rushed towards the end, it's like they shot all this footage then realised they had to wrap it up in 30 minutes or less.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Big Hero 6

Another BBC Christmas catchup, can't comment on comparisons with the original indie developed Marvel published comics but this took all its cues from the MCU live action flicks and as a result, was a better watch than the last Fantastic Four despite the characters getting Disneyised in animation.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:16 am

Sly Boots wrote:So, then: Bright. Thought it was pretty good. It won't change your life but seeing as the director has said the intention was just to make a fun action flick I think you can say they achieved what they set out to do.

Utterly baffled how professional film critics can claim in all seriousness that it's the worst film of the year. WTF?

I quite enjoyed this. Not ground breaking, but enjoyable none the less. No idea how critics could claim it as the worse film of the year, though.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:29 am

Heard Bright described as "rip-off allegory for post-racial America for the All Lives Matter crowd" :-k
Sounds wonderful.

Anyway! Watched The Terminator last night for no real reason.
Oh. That film is so good. Really drives home how far off the rails the series went afterwards.
End of an Era

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:01 am

Shock: I've not liked the other Terminators (yes, even 2). They're passable but not a patch on the original. Some of the effects are shocking but I love the acting in it.
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:24 am

Rusty wrote:Shock: I've liked the other Terminators (yes, even 2). They're passable but not a patch on the original. Some of the effects are shocking but I love the acting in it.
It's the classic Alien Aliens thing (With sequels of generally lesser quality, are but not without merit).
And, much like how I prefer Alien, the first Terminator is the one I go for. It's got a grime and a real sense of tension. Arnie, for as much as I can't remove him from the musclebound action hero archetype, is legit unnerving in the film. And, despite having seen it many times over the past two decades, that scene of the terminator rising from fiery wreckage still gives me a chill. That thing, stop motion and all, is way more scary than any of the following baddie characters.

T2, for as great as it is, ultimately rendered the concept a bit toothless.

"That Terminator is out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are dead!"
Becomes, more or less, family friendly cyborg super heroes bashing each other about.

Haha. A bit of a reduction, but you know what I'm going for. :P
End of an Era

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:14 pm

Doh, I so meant to write 'not' in my sentence.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:58 pm

Get Out

Excellent physiological thriller. I would not describe this as Horror in the post-Scream sense but I got a kick on how it became all very weird so very fast. Great acting, great directing and although the premise is not wholly original, I loved the idea.

Spoiler: show
It has the best "sunk" scene since Under The Skin. Very spooky

8/10
Games playing : Attila Total War / Syndicate / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / 2000:1 A Space Felony

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:33 am

The Relic

It's a shame Tom Sizemore had his problems and didn't get as many big parts as he could have done, thought he was rather good in this.

It's a fairly regular horror movie setup, only this time set inside a massive museum. And there's a monster.

It wasn't well-reviewed but I think it's pretty good actually. Well-made and some good scares.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 pm

Never understood why that film got such a bad reputation. It's by no means great but it's entertaining, gory and funny. Stan Winston did the creature effects and while the cgi is pish the practical stuff is lovely.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Suicide Squad

What utter dross, I was genuinely surprised that the actors managed to get their lines out and keep a straight face. Terrible script, boring story and a superfluous appearance by the Joker.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Alien Covenant

First hour well edited for Scott's usual tension but then it grinds to a halt right in the middle, saving 99% of the action for the end. For a £3.49 rental it was average, at full cinema price I'd have hated it.

Wheelman

Off Prey's recommendation and wanting a short action burst, this Netflix original's not 100% action but is entertaining in real time and one of the better Netflix thrillers taking its cue from Locke but unlike Locke giving the occasional break from the in-the-driver's-face point of view.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:26 am

Not sure why I sat down and watched Philadelphia last night.

I still really enjoy the film... if that's the right word. Even if it wields it's drama and characters with all the grace of a sledgehammer.
It's like, could you even imagine anyone talking like that in this day an age? Well, in the current political climate, perhaps I could. ¬_¬

Also of note: Watching it again on a bigger TV really drove home the amount of really close up shots of people looking into the camera. That's certainly a stylistic choice.
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film