Films I've just watched 2017

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:56 pm

The Visit

Holy crap, that was really good! I didn't really know much about it going in, and can say that was a very pleasant surprise while browsing Netflix. I won't spoil anything about the plot as it's best to know as little as possible going in imo, but if you like M Night Shyalaman films (the good ones), I expect you'll like this, a good comeback from him.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:30 pm

Orc Wars

Orcs chase an elf princess through a portal to 'Merica; loner with a private arsenal shoots them.

It's obviously terrible, but I've seen far worse, and frankly if this had been released in 1985 then I reckon it would have gone down as a cult classic. It has a very 80s action movie feel to it, from the guns with unlimited ammunition (with obligatory spray-fire from side to side at the hip) to the idea that one guy with some sidekicks is a much better option for taking on an army than any recognised authority. It's not like there's a stupid chief who refuses to believe in orcs until the last minute - nobody even bothers contemplating calling the police or the army for help. Nope, loner guy, elf woman, Redneck Steve, Mystic Native American and loner's real estate agent (yes, really) take on the orcs alone with little complaint. There's even a scene straight out of Taken where they interrogate an orc tied to a chair using a taser.

Credit where credit is due - the orc costumes are actually pretty good. The CGI is not, sadly. There's a scene where a house is burned, but they obviously didn't have the budget to burn it for real so they superimposed some CGI flames over it (badly). The CGI dragon (yes, spoilers, there's a dragon) is not great, and yet nowhere near as embarrassing as the one from the second D&D movie.

I can't in good conscience recommend this, not even for the £1.29 I paid for it, but it's surprisingly watchable for a terrible film.

5/10
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:38 am

Wrathbone wrote:Thor: Ragnarok is an unapologeticly flamboyant action comedy with no aspirations above being an 80s synth metal album brought to life. In that respect it's flipping amazing. The story and any character work - mostly in the form of forced quips which get awkward and tiresome - are of little significance or relevance. This is entirely about Thor, Hulk et al showboating for two hours. I really, really enjoyed it for that, but I won't for a minute pretend it was anything more than that, and that's a little disappointing.

If Winter Soldier was the MCU's fine restaurant cuisine and Thor 2 was the microwave dinner, Ragnarok is a massive takeaway pizza. And a curry, and whatever other delicious artery-blocking takeaway feast you want.

Only caught this up last week and can't disagree, they went the full Iron Man 3 with the comedy and doing something to deliberately "break" what you expect in a Thor film (and the comics) by number three. For once the villain wasn't weak as such, only wasted along with the general backstory surrounding the character and related characters though the villain's exposition was cool CGI in the vein of Captain America First Avenger.

Spoiler: show
For this MCU film it was the henchman who was weak and it was stupid that he was using Earth guns but aside from the tone requiring him to be weak along with the plot, his character arc was satisfying by the end, stupid guns notwithstanding.

So it's very much "The Norse God Rises". Having said all that I only went to see it off the back of the Infinity War trailer and not wanting to get two films behind before Infinity War and it's gone past $800million according to Wikipedia. GOTG 2 is a rental catchup just like the first film, the trailers didn't grab me.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:20 am

Justice League

No wonder nobody made a thread for it.

Jigsaw edited barely average speedfest not saved by
having an action scene right here in London
I was sat far back enough in the cinema not to be bothered by all the CGI moustache stuff, that wasn't noticeable. Batman getting relegated in the reshoots didn't help, it felt like more attention was given to Bruce Wayne in Whedon's cut so Ben Affleck doesn't steal Justice League in the same style as the cinema cut of Batman v Superman, that was re-edited for the Flash's comedy and it was sad that the best zingers went in the trailers. Also it's annoying when the editing means that
the Batmobile just disappears videogame-style instead of getting properly wrecked.
and further editing meant that only Cyborg had any literal fleshing out with his subplot getting 2-3 scenes to follow on from BvS's little cutaway. Flash was also a bit functional giving you the bare bones from the comics to go with what you already saw in the trailers. Whedon made up for this with one of the more famous recurring DC comic memes with the mid credits scene; the post credits scene was half-spoiled already but I still enjoyed it. It was good to have another homage to
Richard Donner's Superman 78
but I hope they don't try to take that character all the way back when not so many people have nostalgia for a romcom with a superhero in it anymore and Deadpool deliberately put that trope through the mangler for modern audiences.

To be fair we know the behind the scenes circumstances that ruined the film for both directors, for Snyder personal and out of his control, for Whedon just not enough time if they were going to dump Snyder's cut. It was good that there was enough of Wonder Woman to make me want to rent that on catchup as well to be up to date for the "year off" between this DC film and Aquaman.

Warner should use their brain and make sure Snyder's deleted scenes at the very least get onto a Blu Ray if they don't do another extended cut, if they can release an extended Suicide Squad because of the Oscar or just because of its surprise box office then JL might as well complete Snyder's dark angle to the trilogy unless Warner are too dumb to see what listening to fan demand did for Fox and Deadpool or even the $76-80million they picked up from the BvS combined Blu Ray sales.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:34 am

It's become standard with recent DC films that there's an extended blu ray cut which is usually better than the theatrical cut, and it's sadly another reason for me not to see Justice League at the cinema. At a quieter time of year I may have considered it, but with so much going on in the run up to Christmas there's no chance I'll be seeing it now.

Photos!

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:51 pm

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Oh Luc Besson you creative madman you. I actually thought this was a fun watch if not while also being at times the most random viewing experience I've had in quite some time and it almost pained me that the film made only $40 million domestically even though The Fifth Element has a somewhat cult following I nigh on expected it to put more bums on seats than it did. What you come away with the most is simply that Luc Besson utterly adores the sci-fi genre and it is and always shall remain his one true calling flop or not. There's so much going on at some points of this movie it makes Star Wars films look flaccid by comparison and as you should rightfully expect from a movie based around a thousand planets there's just so many weird and wonderful characters and settings it's difficult to concentrate on any singular one as a standout piece. The movie starts off extremely slow almost as if it is attempting to mimic the likes of Avatar or even John Carter but once it kicks into high gear it literally doesn't stop. Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne have almost no on screen chemistry to speak of and yet somehow the pairing still works well. Weird. Everything about this film is weird but I enjoyed it and one thing that cannot be said about it is that the budget it had isn't poured into every single scene because it clearly is.

If I had to mention one single scene it would be the one with Cara Delevingne's character and an alien which is showing her dresses. It was so simple yet so comedy gold.

Wheelman

I've always maintained that actor Frank Grillo should be a much larger star than he is so it's nice to see him get a lead role albeit in a Netflix movie that combines just some of the best aspects of movies such as the superb Locke with a commanding performance from Grillo himself that is almost entirely based around conversations he has on the move on his mobile phone in real time. By the looks of it he does all his own driving while the cameras roll too which just adds to the overall immersion factor and there were times during it that I was almost gripping on to my armchair as if I were a passenger shouting go go go. It had me glued from start to end and I pray to god both the movie and Frank's acting get the recognition they deserve and is testament to just how much things can escalate in the space of a single night.

edit: Oh right it has 88% on RT. Good stuff.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:49 am

Mad Max Fury Road

What an amazing film, simple but ever so good. Shot beautifully, acted incredibly well by all. Tom fucking Hardy says more in a nod and a glance than most actors say in a whole film.

Needs more of this story to be made.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:49 am

Atomic Blonde

Ok, it's got the look, setting and action but, wow, the film somehow turned out to be a slog.

The best summery I can give is that it tried to be clever and failed.
The story turns into an overly convoluted mash of ill-defined characters and code names where none of the twists and reveals are handled well. It's just a bad spy movie that was made somewhat watchable by some gorgeous shots of Berlin, a neat soundtrack and some cool action scenes.
End of an Era

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Paddington 2

Quite possibly the film of the year. It’s lovely, funny and has some world class puns (GBH :lol:)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:04 pm

eVoL wrote:Paddington 2

Quite possibly the film of the year. It’s lovely, funny and has some world class puns (GBH :lol:)

I agree wholeheartedly, but I'll admit I wasn't brave enough to say it first.

It was top!

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol.2

Three good jokes in the whole film, 20mins too long. It takes a similar look at family that Thor Ragnarok did but with more drama than the comedy you expected based on the first GotG (shades of Man of Steel crossed with Return of The Jedi spring to mind). The second hour gets on with it once the 80s love-in part is over but the film hit profit so can't really complain, it was just a surprise that Ragnarok's humour was funnier.

I'm glad I didn't pay cinema money for it, but good to be up to date again with one more before Infinity War.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:26 am

GotG2 was probably the second biggest disappointment I've had with the MCU films, after Age of Ultron.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:23 pm

I really enjoyed it at the cinema, but I've watched it twice since then and I'm inclined to agree it's on the weaker end of the MCU. Most of the jokes and some of the dialogue is overwritten, and Rocket and Drax have gone from great characters in the first film to unlikable arseholes in the second one. Drax amounts to "I MAKE LOUD AND FREQUENT BREACHES OF SOCIAL ETIQUETTE BECAUSE I'M AN IDIOT NOW!!", plus some fairly uncomfortable shaming of Mantis for no good reason I can think of. The strongest bit for me is the whole "he may have been your father, but he wasn't your daddy" realisation which makes Yondu a much better character and explains a few things across both films.

Photos!

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:38 pm

A film I'm 'about' to watch: Commando on Film4. Starts at 9pm.

"Put a knifffe in mi! Luk mi in da eye! See watz goin un in zere when u teurn it!"

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:51 pm

"If you wanna see your daughter again, you gotta co-operate. Right?"

"RO-HONG." BLAM

Photos!

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film