Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Quietman

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Quietman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:35 pm

Subway Diet wrote:
Snowy wrote:And on Bane, this always makes me laugh so thought I would share:

Not seen that before. :lol:

"THIS ISN'T A CAAAAAARRRR!" *Mortal Kombat Theme*

On the topic of the Nolan Batman movies. Watched The Dark Knight again last night. Still damn good.

Will be watching Doctor Strange tonight. No idea what to expect. Just hope it's better than the typical MCU blandness.

1min21 is my favourite.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:17 am

Doctor Strange, then?

I rather liked it, though it really should have been better. It has so much going for it, with really cool visuals and action scenes, along with an amazing cast. But ultimately the exposition heavy script let it down. It didn't trust people to just go along with the setting. And poor old Mads Mikkelsen barely got time to shine as the villain, Hollywood once again just casting him as himself, but this time vaguely evil and with crazy eyeliner.

Had they balanced things out a bit more, less time telling, more time showing, then the film could have been the classic it kept hinting at.
But hey, at least the downtime is affable with Benedict Cumberbatch's character essentially being House, only if he was also an interdenominational wizard. :)

Also, super glad to have bought this one on 3D. Some films make a damn good excuse for the gimmick!
End of an Era

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:19 pm

Logan

That was well good, really enjoyed it. When people said it was violent I assumed they meant a bit of blood and some stabbing. Fuck no, this is full on decapitations, delimbing and brutal stabbing violent!! Deadpool is tame compared to this. All that aside it's one of the best X Men films yet.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:21 pm

It's easily the best Wolverine film, the best X-Men film, and maybe the best thing with Marvel at the start of it.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:04 am

Get Out

Caught a preview of it last week and it's surprisingly good! IMDb lists it as a comedy first and then horror which it very much isn't, it's definitely comedy second. It is funny, but it's also creepy and does a good job of keeping the atmosphere thick.

Basically, white girl brings her black boyfriend home to meet the parents on a secluded homestead and things go a little weird and unnerving.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:05 pm

Watching The Fifth Element. Err....yeah.....this has aged.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:36 pm

What shall I watch tonight? The Fifth Element or The Matrix? :-k

So, finished off my Nolan kick this week with Inception and Batman Begins

Inception continues to be awesome. Not really much else to say. Has the general consensus on it soured? Seems like the kind of movie that people would enjoy dumping on.

Batman Begins is quite something. Having watched the movies in reverse order, it's a shock to the system to be reminded of just how "Comic book" looking that film is compared to the latter two. The amber haze, out of place humour, weird monorail systems (that was that never mentioned again) and a cyberpunk looking slum island in a middle of this supposedly ultra wealthy city.

Also, a film before Nolan figured out how to direct fight scenes.

Also also SWEAR TO ME!
End of an Era

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Watched The Fifth Element a few weeks ago and I though it had held up really well in the effects and the overall awesomeness of it all. It's loopy as all hell but just goes with it.

Inception is a funny one, I watched it for the first time again recently since it was in the cinema and it's lost a bit of charm for me. It's messy and kind of plain boring in places but then again it's amazing in others. Bit like the Matrix really, great but a bit up it's own arse.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:05 pm

That soundtrack though. Love it.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Jez wrote:That soundtrack though. Love it.

That and Interstellar are pretty sweet soundtracks.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:05 pm

Yeah that main track from interstellar is beautiful and fits really well with the subject matter. Zimmer is a genius really.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:40 pm

I love Zimmer's more interesting scores where he has a remit to do something a bit different, but I can't stand his regular action movie stuff. Much of which is monotonous and predictable, even downright irritating at times. His motifs in PotC and half a dozen other Bruckheimer/Bay action flicks just do my head in.

I mean, action movie soundtracks are often similar anyway, but still. It just feels like it counts against his better work.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:44 pm

John Wick 2

So dumb, so many "why would you do that?!" And "just pick up the gun!" Moments but also so fun. The choreography is fantastic, some great stunt work and man games to fun! It is a little baggy and long compared to the first and it's no where near as singularly perfect as the first but it's in no way a bad film. It's so much fun!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:52 am

Well, I still love The Fifth Element. And it's still all the way up there on my favourite film scale. :mrgreen:
Need to remind myself when Luc Besson's Young Adult Mass Effect (It's got some flowery name that I can't recall*) movie is coming out. I don't think he'll make a sci-fi movie as unashamedly fun again, but if it's anywhere near as far out as Fifth or Lucy, I'll give it a watch for sure.

Animalmother wrote:Watched The Fifth Element a few weeks ago and I though it had held up really well in the effects and the overall awesomeness of it all. It's loopy as all hell but just goes with it.

Inception is a funny one, I watched it for the first time again recently since it was in the cinema and it's lost a bit of charm for me. It's messy and kind of plain boring in places but then again it's amazing in others. Bit like the Matrix really, great but a bit up it's own arse.
A succinct way of putting it. ;)
I think what works about Inception is the conviction with which it disappears up it's own rear. It presents a strange concept and before anyone can spend too much time asking questions, it's off folding cities and having chase scenes. By the time the heist is getting into full swing, I was like "I don't care how seriously you're taking this flimsy concept, just keep going!"

Well, I think a watch of The Matrix Trilogy is now in order! :D

*IMDB after the fact: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:18 am

Turns out I wasn't done with Nolan. Watched Interstellar again last night. My father came around for it as well, so I've got his expert review: "That was good, but there were a few... syrupy bits"

Still really enjoy it. Still can't agree with many of the complaints. :-k

Think I'll watch the first two MCU Captain America films this weekend. They seem due for another look.
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film