Films I've just watched 2018

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
katarn

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby katarn » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:28 pm

I love how they fire on Matrix, his daughter and the 2 soldiers with murderous raking machine gun fire from distance at the beginning, even though the entire plot of the film is based around them kidnapping his daughter and blackmailing him. You can even see the bullet impacts littered around Matrix as he dives out the way.

Perhaps Arius should have explained the plan to Bennett and his crew a little more carefully.

Also... they claim they needed Kirby to lead them to Matrix to find out where he lives, yet were in the bushes waiting outside his house before Kirby's helicopter arrived.... and how come they...

...NO! Stop it katarn. This is fricking Commando.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:17 am

The plot holes and obvious errors are half of what makes Commando so good. My favourite is that his watch only beeps when he looks at it.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:01 am

Yeah, it's so loosely plotted it's hilarious. :lol:

You can't fault it as entertainment though. Probably his most straight-up enjoyable film to sit through, from beginning to end.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:28 am

At uni we used to play the Commando drinking challenge pretty much once a month. Rules below, although I think we added our own too. The upshot was I watched Commando more times than is probably healthy and it's easily my favourite action film of all time. I even once went to a fancy dress party as Bennett, complete with a home-grown moustache and a string vest spray-painted silver for chainmail (there is a photo somewhere, but no amount of bribery will drive me to find it :lol: ).

http://seveninchesofyourtime.com/the-de ... king-game/
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:48 am

So basically 'drink beer nonstop for 2 hours'. :lol:

I could be imagining it but I may actually have a vague recollection of a photo of someone dressed up as Bennett back in the PCGF days.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:37 pm

We tried a Sherlock Holmes drinking game when the RDJ one came out on DVD.
Drink when someone says Holmes
Drink when someone says Watson
Drink when someone gets punched.

Consider the opening of that film. Just for a second.
Now estimate the number of punches thrown considering he imagines it all, then does it....
There were other rules but they ceased to matter...we ran out of shots and I couldn't pour fast enough anyway...

Needless to say, game abandoned almost immediately :)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:35 pm

The Hitman's Bodyguard

Has one good chase scene through the middle of Amsterdam, but other than that it's just very dull.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge

Not as bad as the fourth film, but not particularly good either. Depp gave up a long time ago and even Geoffrey Rush looked like he couldn't be bothered this time.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:18 am

Bright (Netflix)

Deliberately slowed down the pace to make it seem longer than 2hrs, took its own time building up the world, Will Smith was funny, plenty of action but the Alien Nation influence was as clear as David Ayer's End of Watch stylings to the police partnership.

They greenlit the sequel already so they must consider it $90million well spent. Since both characters have been developed it'll be interesting to see where they go next if Max Landis writes the next one as well.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:30 am

Jingle All The Way

Finally caught up on Netflix, very funny, one of Arnie's best comedies and a perennial for the season (or Black Friday).

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:21 am

John Wick: Chapter 2

GTA IV + Max Payne

7/10
Games playing : Alan Wake American Nightmare / Metro 2033 / Total War Thrones Of Britannia / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain / Orcs Must Die / 2000:1 A Space Felony

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Going to watch Bright tonight, think it looks interesting.

Have you seen the critic scores, though? Savage! It's looking like the polar opposite to TLJ - hated by critics, loved by audiences:

https://qz.com/1165113/rotten-tomatoes- ... ll-matter/

So, what accounts for this disparity? It's like that weird disconnect between reviewers and players we've seen from time to time in gaming, eg Mad Max.

Have critics just lost touch with what audiences enjoy? Or is there something more sinister at work, either financial incentives to up-rate a Disney flick, or perhaps professional snobbery when confronted with a big-money production made for TV that isn't getting a theatrical release?
My face is tired.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:31 pm

On that note....

Bright

Was alright, not great but by no means terrible. Enjoyed the first hour with the banter between the 2 main characters, Joel Edgerton stands out in particular as the orc cop. Gets a bit drawn out in the last half hour or so. Worth a look but probably forgettable.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:47 pm

I enjoyed it myself it's certainly not warranted of the critical backlash it received and I thought Smith and Edgerton made a great duo although the chemistry still wasn't in the same league as Gyllenhaal and Peña together. The effects and fight scenes were great and you could tell some of the script was ad libbed, above all else it's a universe I'd 100% wish to become more involved with as all the time I was watching it we were coming up with what kind of other creatures could enter the world. Would make for some very interesting moments methinks.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Shaun The Sheep Movie

Just-about-silent comedy classic, always good to catch up with decent animation at Christmas. Will probably go and watch Early Man next year now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:09 pm

So, then: Bright. Thought it was pretty good. It won't change your life but seeing as the director has said the intention was just to make a fun action flick I think you can say they achieved what they set out to do.

Utterly baffled how professional film critics can claim in all seriousness that it's the worst film of the year. WTF?
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film