Films I've just watched 2018

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Films I've just watched 2018

Postby Sly Boots » Tue May 08, 2018 12:20 pm

katarn wrote:Do! It's brilliant.

It really got me thinking about Simmons' character on a pretty deep level. These days, I much prefer this sort of film to the usual Hollywood fare.

Woo - just seen that it's on Netflix, have added to my watchlist. :D
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 08, 2018 2:05 pm

Really excellent film - I've watched it three times now and it keeps raising in my estimation. As well as the masterful story and characters, the music is great throughout.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri May 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Just watched Whiplash - bloody brilliant! :D

Loved the finale, superb.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun May 13, 2018 8:50 am

Funny you mention it because I watched it again last night after spending far too long trawling up and down and left and right (as you do - too much choice is not always a good thing) through Netflix so when it popped up I just instantly hit the play button. This was also at a time may I add that I was all ready for kip and just wanted some background noise to fall asleep to but instead was so riveted by it I just sat up and watched the entire thing even though I own it on blu ray and watch it pretty regularly I just love it that much it's the Heat of 2014 ie pure movie perfection. To think a 29 year old first timer made this movie blows my fucking mind.

"Were you rushing or were you dragging?" / "Not My Tempo"

"I did not see 'Were you rushing or were you dragging?' or 'Not my tempo' becoming this thing outside of the movie. I can’t even really take credit for it either, because they are exactly what my conductor said to me all the time when I was a drummer in high school. Those words are innocuous on their own, but when you hear them the way I hear them, those words become the words you most don’t want to hear. Your greatest fear.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/fea ... h-secrets/
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun May 13, 2018 8:54 am

I haven't been able to stop thinking about it for the past couple of days since seeing it. Just amazing. Why had I not heard of it before Subby mentioned it? :o
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun May 13, 2018 9:02 am

Because unlike many movies you watch and then instantly catalogue away it is a truly impactful movie. It wants to get under your skin and make you just as uncomfortable and on edge as the main character is. Who would have ever thought a film revolving around a music teacher and his student could be handled so superbly when music was such a boring ass chore in school. I actually only heard about the movie when I was watching a Mark Kermode video and he just happened to mention how much he loved the film, it's stuck with me ever since only ever to be catalogued away under instant classic.

Glad you finally got to discover it for yourself. Here's the video in question...

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun May 13, 2018 9:09 am

Cheers mate, will give that a watch :)
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sun May 13, 2018 11:22 am

The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

Well that was weird. Intriguing, unsettling, funny, cold, awkward and monotone, but most definitely weird.

I think I liked it, but I wouldn't want to watch it again. Does that even make sense?! :?

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri May 18, 2018 11:54 am

Decided to go catch up on some Marvel... so....

Thor Dark World
Consistent fun, the Thor films are pretty much the best thing in the MCU because they are just fun. A lot of it is down to Hemsworth being great and so very well cast. The worst thing is how many bloody films they squeeze Loki into and hes just a massive pair of old wet pants.

Avengers Ultron
That was alright, the end was boring as shit but I liked the shitty wise cracking Ultron. I heard it was not great but it was about on par with the first Avengers. Vision is awful though.

Civil War
Massive pile of poorly written tosh with characters flip flopping for the most stupid reasons and just being stupid. Might be one of the worst MCUs because not only is is badly written its SOOOOO boring! BvS did this far better, with far more weight and coherence (not overlooking some patches of really poor writing, Martha).

In not MCU news:
House On Haunted Hill (original)
Its still great, I have a horrible soft spot for the remake but theres no question the original is light years ahead in all fronts.

House Of Wax (original)
Ok it has its dumb moments but its also great. That burning wax museum is such a great visual and quite heart wrenching really.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri May 18, 2018 12:41 pm

eVoL wrote:Consistent fun, the Thor films are pretty much the best thing in the MCU because they are just fun.

I'm kind of with you on this on Thor 1 and 3. Thor 2 is weird, because a lot of it is really good but every time the dark elves are on screen it's massively boring. Overall it's one of the worst MCU films for me. I keep waiting for Christopher Ecclestone to sidle up to Odin with a roll-up going "Arite are kid?"
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri May 18, 2018 12:56 pm

Yeah the elves were bad but they’re kind of in it so little it doesn’t matter so much. I think Thor3 might be my favourite MCU....

Ant man and Panther and I’m up to date I think. Only seen half of winter soldier because it put me to sleep and I can’t be arsed going back. Cap is the worst, I’d rather more Loki than cap and that’s saying something.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat May 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Deadpool 2

About half way through the movie I reached a point where I actually started to shake my head but this wasn't because I was not enjoying it because I was it was because the movie was so completely different to what I had expected of it both as a direct sequel and as a Deadpool movie in general. What the film does superbly and almost effortlessly is constantly surprise you again and again and again as one minute you will be laughing or just going urgghhhhhhhh oh god oh holy shit, then you will be ramped up by the vastly superior action sequences and then the next you will be having your feels messed with to the point of swiftly looking side to side to see if anyone thinks you are getting emotional. While the original movie did have its fun and equally serious sides DP2 takes all of that and takes them to new depths that will knock you on your ass while you are still seated. It can also be pretty damn dark when it wants to be as one minute you are flashing from a Guardians of the Galaxy vibe to suddenly a super serious Terminator revenge flick.

I loved Domino. There's no question that she is the stand out character although a much more involved Colossus really made my day as he has his own turn to finally shine in this and without spoiling too much one of the biggest laughs involves him and it all revolves around him uttering a single word, that's right just one word. The whole theater was in uproar over a single word. Again Domino just owns the screen in every scene she shows up in due to her 'power of luck' let's just say some crazy crazy fucking shit goes down. Sadly Negasonic Teenage Warhead is now even more of a background character than she was in the first and seems pretty much only there to set up the LGBTQ+ aspect of the movie with new character Yukio. Both deserved more screen time.

Josh Brolin absolutely kills it as Cable too although I still think he wasn't anywhere near large enough to play the character he delivers both a madly determined and heartfelt performance and after about 10 minutes I was sold with him as the character. He doesn't have a great deal to do other than give chase for the most part but that's not to say he doesn't have his moments.

Spoiler: show
That baby legs scene. I've not laughed that much since the crash scene in Anchorman 2.

Spoiler: show
The X-Force plot point nobody would ever ever see coming. I was actually speechless.

If I have anything bad to say it has to be around Russell. While everything was an awesome check list Russell just didn't click with me at all. I can't put my finger on exactly why either sadly as he is very much the young John Connor of the movie where you kinda think he's a bit of a dick ala Edward Furlong in T2 but you also fully understand what is riding on him actually surviving the entire movie all the same.

It's not often that a sequel comes along that not only destroys the original but also goes to brand new depths you never would have expected it would oh and the opening credits are amazing too ie 'brought to you by one of the guys who killed the dog in John Wick' had people laughing immediately before the film had even set a pace.

The mid credit scene was also a thing of genius so make sure you stay long after all those silly people have put on their coats and left as 20 or so people did in my showing.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat May 19, 2018 3:09 pm

Deadpool 2
I was enjoying it up to the 20minish mark when there was a big crash and the ceiling tile fell from the roof of the Braehead odeon hitting the chap behind me in the head and my lady love on the arm and shoulder. I honestly thought for a second it was some deadpool fourth wall breaking as the shadow of the falling tiles passsed through the projectors beam. So that was certainly an event!

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat May 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Oh dear. Hopefully nobody was seriously injured! D:

And, to stay on topic: It's not controversial to call Die Hard extremely good, right? Watched it again last night and it's still a damn fine film.
End of an Era

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat May 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Glad you are both ok. When are you going to try and see it again Alan?

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film