Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Animalmother » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Death Note

Arse Note more like

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:44 pm

I watched the first 15 minutes or so but just couldn't bring myself to carry on with it. Skipped to a couple of points in and towards the end, it did not get better.

Absolutely trash movie. Unbelievable that they managed to get the adaptation so badly wrong.

Eny

Postby Eny » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:44 am

Logan Lucky

Slow start, and builds to a pleasant finish, but not without some holes and improbabilities. Not so much a comedy, more an amusing heist. Overall we enjoyed it, finally.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:48 pm

NightFare

I expected nothing from this film, probably less than nothing. What I actually got was a movie that came over some kind of French semi homage to the mighty Spielberg movie Duel as two lads out on the town in Paris bail on paying the driver who just ferried them for miles after a night out. The oddly beefy and menacing looking taxi car used then somehow tracks the two across the city while all the while the meter is left running as he does, no doubt you can guess exactly where that is heading. What surprised me the most besides the unexpected premise behind the film was the guy who played the actual taxi driver who is about as menacing as any Michael Myers with his face always kept firmly in shadow but is also built like a brick shit house and just like Myers has some almost inhuman quality about him. At one point he grabs a guy by the throat and two blokes can't even budge his arm. To say this guy is a beast is to do him an injustice, this guy is a wrecking ball of both gory and extremely swift insta death to anyone who attempts to get in his way.

Why is he driving a taxi then you ask? Well I won't spoil that particular plot point needless to say the ending while unexpected I actually thought was rather fitting. Not everyone is sold on it however. I love to find movies such as this that not only surprise you but also far surpass your initial low ball expectations. What makes it even more shit ass scary is the simply fact that this could actually happen to anyone during a weekend out as you are never truly more at your most vulnerable than you are after a night out drinking staggering home in the middle of nowhere and yet genuinely believing that you can do whatever the fuck you wish without any form of immediate and even deadly consequence.

Spoiler: show
There's much more to the film that first meets the eye as a predictable straightforward slasher movie as it also explores things such as how perceived friendship may not be everything they first seem and even how we so often allow bad things in the world to happen without wishing to get directly involved and how that can often make you as guilty as the ones who are doing the bad things.

Nightfare is the movie that will make you think twice about not paying what you owe. Pay the fare.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:05 pm

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Being a mostly avid family of Harry Potter lovers and owning every single one of those movies on blu ray you can imagine the anticipation when we sat down to watch this together having ordered food and everything. By the time it ended we could not have been more disappointed and I'm somewhat amazed that this film has produced the kind of buzz it has considering how painfully average, boring, bloated and CGI top heavy it is. Of course the latter can be thrown back at me instantly as the film is all about these wonderful creatures but by the time the 30th one or so had been introduced we were all just hoping that it would stop. Just. Stop. Such creatures in the Potter movies were special simply because they were so few and far between they were all highly memorable while in this I barely got wind of what the fucking thing was called before it hastily moved on to the next one. And the next. And the next.

Eddie Redmayne who we all know is a great actor was just so hilariously awkward in this film I just felt plain bad for him. Newt was a shit main lead. Try as he might to carry the film I was just left wishing they had cast someone else instead, his constantly almost childlike demeanour just rubbed me the wrong way throughout and the way he would engage magic with just his hand and not his physically held wand at times plain pissed me off. Is he using the force? My kids would constantly ask.

Easily the most likeable character in this movie was accidental tourist character Jabob played by Dan Fogler followed closely by the oh so loveable Niffler. Aside from these two mostly entertaining us whenever they appeared my kids have honestly never looked so disengaged while watching a supposed family friendly fantasy movie.

Disappointing Movies and Where to Find Them? Right here.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 pm

I could not understand half of what Redmayne was saying. This was when mumble acting was all the range and when we played "what did he say ?" - "fuck knows - switch on the subtitles" - reverse video game.

I recall watching Jamaica Inn with the subtitles and still not understanding it !
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Stranger Things: The Movie
Better than it should be but by fuck Pennywise is a shadow of old Tim Curry. For a start, he's not just a normal clown in a sewer, he's a motherfuckung twitchy demon clown with no subtlety at all. Georgie would have ran like fuck the second that uppity little shit showed his face. Beyond that there is some real bad CG and some real bad 3D plane stuff going on in a few scenes (and I don't think it's even showing in 3D but it was probably the idea early on).

Other than that this is pure Stranger Things. The kids are good, the set pieces are good and the atmosphere is mostly spot on. There's also no giant spider.

Should have been much worse.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:01 pm

The clown thing was a weird decision. The entire premise was that he lured children to approach him, not sending them screaming.
My face is tired.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:28 pm

Wonder Woman

Meh

2/10

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:23 pm

Alien Covenant

Oh dear, that was a bit of a mess wasn't it. Probably better than the last mess but not by much. Started off thinking it wasn't so bad but felt less enthused as it progressed. Went from a slow burn thriller to a body horror to a shite action film in very quick succession. The aliens looked like cheap plastic and the main characters haircut was fucking ridiculous looking.

5/10

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Just watched it myself coincidentally, went in with no expectations at all.

Thought it was great personally. 8/10 great. The characters were maybe a little throwaway but its really only about Fassbenders characters. It had enough of a bridge to the last movie for me with maybe a few unanswered questions, especially on David's physical status and why he came to do what he did on the planet previous to this film.

I have no complaints about how the aliens looked myself, I sadly have no opinion on the main characters haircut I certainly wasn't offended by it :lol:

I just really liked the David\Walter thing throughout, they might have made some more mileage on that but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The end was probably easy to predict but still quite chilling for me anyway. Interesting to see if it gets another turn of the handle in this vision of the series.

Go in with no expectations helps I feel. Maybe its just one of those Marmite films.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:18 pm

The alien looks a lot better when it's hidden in shadow. It just seems a bit daft watching it in full daylight, shrieking and banging on the top of a space shuttle.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:05 am

Achtung Englander wrote:Wonder Woman

Meh

2/10

It was pretty awful but I did think Gal Gadot was a brilliant Wonder Woman. She was beautiful and amazonian looking and a good actress, unlike that travesty that is Chris Pine.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:03 am

I agree with you there - she was the best thing in what was yet another formulaic superhero film. When Chris Pine said he "above average" I would have stopped the film there and then but I was with 3 other people so I had to endure. In the last 30 minutes we all just talked over the ending of the film. It was that shite. And to think I met my boss's boss (who is a woman) and she said that it was excellent - begs to wonder what she would classify as a bad film.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:34 am

I've heard a fair number of people say Wonder Woman is excellent, so it's curious that it's apparently so divisive. Guess I'll have to see for myself!
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film