Last action Elba

It's not very good
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Prey
Admin

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Prey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:30 am

Fist Fight

How to make a supposed comedy a strictly non comedy at its finest. Ice Cube has hit a new low with this as it's even worse than Ride Along 2 which I didn't think would be even remotely possible. Also that logic behind one teacher getting another teacher fired and then finding out that even though he now wants to fight him over it which is obviously the entire premise behind this heap of garbage he no longer wanted to do the job anyway. What the fuck? :lol:

Sharknado

Yeah I'm late to the party on this one but man was that disappointing it wasn't even a so bad it's good or even hilarious kinda fashion like that Fire Twister movie I saw not long back. I just ended up feeling bad for the late John Heard if anything.

Ghost in the Shell

Sorry but I fucking loved this adaption. Forget about all the whitewashing stuff and try not to take it as a 100% faithful adaption and there's a lot to enjoy here. The visuals on display alone are some of the best I've seen in a film for a while and I thought director Rupert Sanders did it about as much justice as could be done given the $100 mil budget. Underrated if you ask me, which you didn't.
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Alien: Covenant

Meh.

Another visually beautiful movie with wonderfully shot scenes and fantastic imagery, ruined by Ridley Scott's obsession with A Level pseudo-philosophical nonsense in favour of writing a memorable script or set of characters. Once again we've got a group of largely generic colonists who do stupid things for no reason, many of them never get any sort of character development beyond "Hey, that's my wife!", which coincidentally happens between about three different couples. Almost all of them serve as nothing but fodder for the variety of aliens that ultimately burst out of their stomachs/backs/mouths. Half the time you're actually cheering for the psychotic genocidal android because the human characters are all so bland.

That said, I don't think I've ever not enjoyed an Alien movie, because it's Alien, and as I said, Scott can shoot a beautiful looking movie. But this is about as average as it can get, I think Prometheus is a better movie overall. Fassbender is very good at playing a creepy, evil robot too; it was quite surreal watching him kiss himself and teach Walter how to play the flute.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:23 am

The Girl with all the Gifts

Imagine for a moment a film that combines 28 weeks later and then throws in a dab of Dog Soldiers and a little girl who is perceived to be the answer to putting everything right who also just happens to be infected and has to fight off her urges to feed by killing birds and cats all the while helping a team of army lead survivors. Sounds cool right? Well yes it could well have been had it been handled in that fashion. Sadly this much over hyped british horror which has been labelled as the first 'smart zombie move' pretty much fails on all counts at just what it strengths should actually be. First off the main zombie (they are known as 'Hungries' in this which I never could quite stop laughing at) is named Melanie is played by the most forced young actress I've seen in ages ie someone who can clearly act but does it in such a way that the actual acting comes over as completely forced, unnatural and almost stage like delivering her lines in over dramatic shouty ways. I'm ACTING. ACT-ING! She starts off well enough as the film attempts to depict her as some kind of chosen one type but her character is all but assassinated during a scene in which she holds a baseball bat and must defeat another alpha hungry in order to protect her 'friends'. Her posh north london style accent shining through in between the constant snarling just completely kills any hope of her being taken seriously. Another issue is in some scenes she looks like a girl and in others she looks like a boy. Why?

These co called Hungries attempt to pass themselves off as the ever present highly dangerous infected have all clearly just had buckets of clay thrown at them/over them in a piss poor attempt to make them look non human, The Walking Dead how the fuck did they do that zombie make up this isn't. There's one particular scene that involved a long line of them all stood outside a row of shops which looked more like a dole queue in the middle of Sheffield than a zombie outbreak.

I mention Dog Soldiers because we all know that the way characters such as Spoon etc made the film what it was right along side the awesome story and action set pieces, you related with them, you connected, you gave a shit who died and who didn't. This movie has none of that and every soldier is pretty much hungry fodder to be dispensed of with no shits given with the one exception of the always excellent Paddy Considine who plays Sgt Parks. Glenn Close is in this movie btw looking much less Fatal Attraction and much more Dried Fruit. Her character is the one that has convinced everyone else that Melanie needs to be protected and used and is constantly at odds with the also not aged all that well Gemma Arterton...

Spoiler: show
Who at one point manages to help Melanie get inside a truck completely surrounded by Hungries who are taking down soldiers with guns left right and center and never once gets even looked at never mind bloody attacked.

Oh and there's that one fucking idiotic scene in which Gallagher's character heads out looking for food ALONE and just happens to end up inside an off licence eating crisps right before Hungries surround him and eat him like a pack of pringles from the inside out. Just as Melanie warns everyone that he's now out there alone and she can smell him so the Hungries can too...YOU LET HIM FUCKING LEAVE! Just wtf.

Come the final moments the film had taken a massive nose dive from promising think slightly outside the box zombie flick to well this went south quick straight to dvd affair as the budget the film had fills the streets of whereverthefuckitis with greenery ala The Last of Us ala I am Legend amidst clear full on adverts for the likes of M&S and Barclays Bank all over the show.

The ending though, fuck me the ending. I'd have accepted pretty much anything but THAT.

Teaching and testing Hungries worked inside a top secret facility as a zombie outbreak went on outside with them all strapped into their chairs - it does not work looking like a kids garden party with a bunch of kids who clearly cannot act for shit all dressed up like Stig of the fucking Dump.

84% on Rotten Tomatoes I should add. Fuck off.
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:44 pm

Free Fire.

Some people didn't like this film. I think it's brilliantly shot, violent in the right places, some good laughs and utterly farcial in places. Great fun to watch if you sit back, switch off and enjoy. I like it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:23 pm

Prey wrote:Ghost in the Shell

Sorry but I fucking loved this adaption. Forget about all the whitewashing stuff and try not to take it as a 100% faithful adaption and there's a lot to enjoy here. The visuals on display alone are some of the best I've seen in a film for a while and I thought director Rupert Sanders did it about as much justice as could be done given the $100 mil budget. Underrated if you ask me, which you didn't.

Just watched this too and quite enjoyed it. Who better to cast as an emotionless cyborg than Scarlett Johansson? Regarding the white washing, I did find it rather amusing that her mother was a full blown Asian woman, and that she didn't even recognise her own daughter.

"You remind me of her, but my daughter was Asian..."

I like Scarlett Johansson, she's a good actress, but I'm getting a bit bored of seeing her cast in action roles where she has no real discernible personality. That said, she was better in this than as Black Widow.

It's also been about ten years since I saw the original animation, so whatever changes they made over the source material passed me by and I was able to enjoy it as its own thing.

Good little movie. Having Takeshi Kitano in it helped, I love that guy.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:45 pm

The movie has some of the most amazing sounding musical scoring too at times which very much evoked thoughts of a full on Deus Ex type film had it ever been made. The kind that when it's added to the right imagery all on offer is nothing short of jaw dropping. Yes it's somewhat flawed but it annoys me that many will simply just stick to resenting that it was ever made without ever giving it an actual watch upon which they can then unload any amount of constructive criticism upon it if need be. This is very much the film Scarlett Johannsen has been leading up to with Lucy etc and it's also the one she's done with her best acting performance IMO. Considering the absolute disaster it so easily could have been I for one will be proud to have it among my blu ray collection when my copy arrives.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Currently playing Mankind Divided atm and Deus Ex was the first thing I thought of whilst watching this too. I haven't read the original stuff so I'm not affected by how the film compares to it or the whole "whitewashing" issue.
Really enjoyed it, and I too will be picking up a bluray copy.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:18 pm

The Lego Batman Movie

Exactly what I expected, in a good way: an extrapolated look at the Batman from the Lego Movie. 100 minutes of completely silly, shameless fun. The story is simple and predictable, but it's also a startlingly honest and different take on Batman than anything that the movies have ever done. Better than the Lego Movie and better than a fair number of Batman movies.

8/10
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:36 pm

"So what, you live in Bruce Wayne's basement"
"No, Bruce Wayne lives in Batman's attic"

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:31 pm

Arrival

This one is on Amazon Prime at moment. Thought I'd watch it as I remember Mark Kermode banging on about it on the radio, he seemed pretty happy with it.

I can't figure out if I like it or not. Whether it was stupidly clever or just stupid.

It's a funny one that I've found myself thinking about and figuring through over the last few days. So I suppose from that point of view it's good. I can't help feeling that the "solution" to films events is a bit "cheaty" or something. It's not hugely explained and it doesn't really answer the questions. Maybe it wasn't supposed to.

You guys watch it?

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:40 pm

Yeah, I loved Arrival. I didn't entirely understand everything by the end but I felt like I understood enough for it to intellectually challenge my existing ideas about some fundamental things (i.e. time and language). I can see how someone might watch it and conclude that it's stupid - I lean much closer to it being stupidly clever, or at the very least a convincing illusion of being stupidly clever.

PS - The disc version has a short documentary where some scientists attempt to explain some of the ideas. Potentially spoilery...

They explain how the laws of physics all work perfectly in both directions of time, forward and backward. I assume they're not making that up, because they're scientists. I can't remember the details but it made a lot of sense and implied that maybe the aliens are experiencing time in a different direction to humans, or all at once, or something else. The film speaks for itself, but the documentary made me want to watch it again immediately (I didn't, but I will definitely watch the doc before watching the film again to view it from a different perspective).

Photos!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:07 pm

The time stuff made no sense and was just there to be clever. It would have been a much better movie without it. You could even keep the flash forwards just not the other stuff. Up till that point I really liked it but that just ruined it.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:21 pm

Never a lack of differing opinions. :P

I'm not sure how you could remove the time stuff as it's so core to the plot. I'd also say that the film's greatest strength isn't that it makes sense of everything (because it doesn't really) but that it asks questions that you can draw your own conclusions to. It portrays ideas about the nature of reality that are more alien than the aliens who show up, but it's not so esoteric as to be incomprehensible or pointless. That to me is good sci-fi.

Compare that with something like Under the Skin which I found to be SO incomprehensible and alien for the sake of being alien that I couldn't connect with it at all.

Photos!

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:38 pm

see the crux of the whole thing seemed to be the "future" conversation she had with the Chinese general the way she was able to spout the wifes last words to him at the crucial moment. It seemed at least to me that the general was telling her what to say to his past self rather than recounting the incident ...does that make sense? Almost as if he had also cottoned on to the whole future language thing also.

Makes me head spin and I'm still a little in the cheaty stupid camp with it. Like why was the language this amazing gateway to future things and all that :?:

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film