Films I've just watched 2017

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:58 am

TPM is, for me, the best of the prequels. Revenge of the Sith has higher highs than TPM and by far the lowest lows of any Star Wars film, but Attack of the Clones is a worse film. It's irredeemable, even with the big Jedi scrap at the end.

I urge anyone who's interested to listen to Alastair Stephen's Story and Star Wars podcasts, particularly the ones on the prequels, to be convinced that there is merit to them buried deep under horrible scripting, direction and production:

https://itun.es/gb/BX8e-.c
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:56 am

Last night I watched Collateral Damage - an often forgotten Arnie film which I'd seen years ago and seemed to think was vaguely competent. It isn't. It's mostly dull with a few action scenes, terrible editing and a disturbing lack of post-mortem one-liners. He kills someone by throwing an axe at them and doesn't even quip "Got an axe to grind?" or "AXE-ELLENT", which is criminal in an Arnie film.

4/10

Photos!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:12 am

He does use open meal stairs to somehow block and explosion though, points for that.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:33 pm

True, and he presumably knew that's how explosions work from his experience as a fireman.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:14 pm

That's one of the 'lost years' Arnie films, isn't it? Think he made a few at around that time (late 90s, early 00s) that were cack.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:23 pm

I quite like his late 90s movies. Eraser, End of Days and 6th Day were all between 1995 and 2000! His role in End of Days is actually really grim; a washed up alcoholic cop whose family was murdered in a house invasion. But he still manages to fit in the comedy, like telling Satan to go fuck himself before throwing him out of a 20th floor apartment window.

For an action movie star he has a remarkably consistent career. There's only a few highly guff movies in his filmography.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:27 pm

I'll be honest, I didn't like any of those, but maybe I should watch them again and see what an older me thinks of them. Should also be said, however, that period I'm thinking of also includes Junior, Jingle All the Way and Batman & Robin, all of which are shit. Admittedly Junior (1994) was a bit earlier than I'd thought in my previous post.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:31 pm

He shoots down a 747 with a magnum whilst parachuting in front of it in Eraser. You can't not like it.

I made the mistake of watching Jingle All The Way at Christmas last year. It was definitely not as good as I remember it being when I was much younger. It's hilariously cringe worthy. There're a few bits in there that are genuinely brilliant but for the most part it's one of those movies that you only really watch to laugh at how bad it is.

It was also the beginning of Jake Lloyd's rise to stardom, so go figure. It's Turbo Time! -_-

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Eraser and The 6th Day aren't completely terrible (I'm sold on Eraser primarily for the "YOU'RE LUGGAGE" scene with the alligator). End of Days isn't one of my favourites although I know some people who rate it highly, especially for the great end scene. As for Jingle All the Way, it's on my list of mandatory Christmas films! It's woeful, yes, but I can't not love it. Try keeping track of every time Arnie commits a crime in it - he'd be in jail for multiple life sentences if he was found guilty of them all. Also his sidekick/adversary postman guy ends up becoming an actual terrorist and attempted child murderer. :lol: For a kids' film it's not full of wonderful festive messages.

Photos!

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:25 am

Revenge Of The Sith

It feels like more Attack of the Clones. Baggy, overlong, pointless. Only now throws in poorly executed slapstick as the droid army are turned into bumbling fools. But, there are good ideas in there. Only, they're lost beneath flat acting, poor scripts and battle scenes that overstay their welcome.

And then The Emperor reveals himself. And then the film almost, almost, redeems the entire prequel trilogy. It's still bogged down in spots by the baffling decisions that have plagued all of the prequels. But, by and large, it does what it intended to do very well.

-

So. One trilogy down. How would I rank 'em?

1. The Phantom Menage
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Attack of the Clones

In retrospect, I actually enjoyed Episode 1 the most. It's still pretty daft, but it's also the most... I don't know... personable? It actually has a kind of charm to it's absurd whims, as opposed to the cold, glass walls of endless unrelatable CG that made up Eps 2 and 3. They might have the more complex, dramatic stories that present some interesting ideas. But to what end if I didn't come away particularly entertained by the films as a whole?

Will admit that Sith is the one prequel that I might want to re-watch, thought. With some more digging, it'd probably move up the list.

Next up, Rogue One, then the Original trilogy. :)
End of an Era

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:26 am

If Theresa May had her face melted off and then later that afternoon announced to parliament that she was reforming the UK into the first Galactic Empire, I fully expect she'd be met with thunderous applause from some benches.

Photos!

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:15 am

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause."

Also, Lucas still can't direct child actors. Young Ani fell flat. Young Boba was rough. But nothing quite detracts from the implied horror of Anakin leading a death squad into the Jedi temple as "Master Skywalker. There are too many of them. What are we going to do?"

That along with talk of giving up the will to live (and a lesser extent "NOOOOOO!") almost derail the culmination, and arguably the best part of the whole prequels. It's a damn shame!

I've seen a rise of Lucas apologists of late. Possibly due to an interest in reevaluating the prequels in the light of the new films coming out, or the kids who could view these films with uncritical eyes are now old enough to start meaningfully write about their opinions. Sadly, though, Lucas is the root cause the problems with these films. There's no filter or restraint. Yes, these films are collaborative. And yes, he was open to suggestions from outside. The narrative of him being surrounded by yes-men is a bit simple.

But, ultimately, the failings of the story. The failings of direction. The failings of putting all faith in technology that was not going to work. That's on him.

Admittedly, we're only two movies into a Lucas-less era of Star Wars, but I think it's working. It feels like the franchise is back with a renewed focus and vigour that was lacking from the prequels.
Still, Disney is going to make sure there'll be a lot of new films, so it's only inevitable that we'll get an objectively bad film, right?
End of an Era

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:37 am

Called The Force Awakens ¬__________________________¬
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 am

End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am

I don't think Force Awakens was particularly bad, it just lacked any kind of soul as people have already pointed out. It was the case of Disney making Star Wars in the most paint by numbers fashion to the extent that they effectively reskinned A New Hope. It wasn't awful, I could just quite happily never rewatch it again.

Here's hoping now that Ep 7 paid off big time that they're willing to take a little more of an interesting path with Last Jedi.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film