Films I've just watched 2017

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Animalmother » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:23 pm

The last hour of Rogue One is the best Star Wars action ever in my opinion. Just balls out with space combat, a beach assault, drop ships and shit exploding in every direction. Epic stuff.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:12 am

Totally agree that TFA was a steamer. It's probably technically better than 1-3 but I hate it way more. R1 was a redemption though. I'm a lot of ways I'm more interested in the non-numbered films now.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:59 am

Whaaat? The Force Awakens is great. :o

You know what's not so great? The Phantom Menace

Well, actually, it's slightly better than I remember. By which I mean it's not an unwatchable garbage fire. I'd even say it has "moments"
I mean, it's still sluggish and weird, with a plot that goes in too many directions where all but a couple being non-events. And the acting is awkward and nobody seems to be able to interact properly with the CGI creatures, all of which, despite their massive budget, have that rubbery 90s look about them.

That said: Palpatine and Darth Maul are great. Qui-Gon is probably one of the best Jedi in the whole series. And that pod Race is a laugh, isn't it?

And then there's Little Ani. I've nothing personal against the kid, and I don't think young actors are inherently terrible... but what was that? If there's one reason I'm not going to watch this film again, his performance would be it. It's easy to get an ironic enjoyment out of Jar Jar by laughing at just how bafflingly terrible the character is. There's no way around YIPEEE!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:28 am

Pretty shitty what happened to Jake Lloyd, though. Poor kid.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:41 am

Blame George. They had a young man lined up who was a far better actor but he decided in his ultimate wisdom to go for the look he liked over actual acting chops. So what we ended up with was IT'S WORKING! IT'S WORKIING! etc etc.

I urge everyone to read up on what Jake has gone through since he became an overnight child star and sadly one of the most hated characters in the franchise because it's undeniable proof that such young child actors are complete throwaway material who are shoved into the limelight to help make $ and often end up completely lost for the rest of their lives. It's heartbreaking stuff but George made his money and had no contact with him afterwards.

TPM is not the worst movie ever because as flawed as it was I was actually entertained. The pod race is indeed great.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:59 am

Phantom Menace is a weird film. There are moments where you see Lucas' unique creative vision creep through but it's also a diabolical mess. A nice-looking diabolical mess.

I liked TFA enough I guess, but it didn't feel like a natural piece of storytelling/film-making, unlike the original trilogy. It was a film made by committee, ticking all the boxes that needed to be ticked. It's a very empty experience.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:52 pm

I have yet to rewatch Ep7 but I seem to recall liking it. I hope it stays likeable on second watch.
Rogue one, again only one watch so far, but loved it.

Still don't like 1, 2 or 3.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:50 pm

I personally think 1,2&3 are just plain bad films. I rewatched them all a while ago and they were just shite. The clone trooper battles were great though, all 10 seconds you get to watch.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:12 pm

They are bad films, no question. However they have a core thats nearly excellent. The arcs in the prequels leading up to 4/5/6 are good and well thought out for the most part. I loved the idea behind the formation of the empire for example being essentially a slow twisting of something that was good into what it would become. An awful team or perhaps one man really shat the bed making them but if you take all the bones out and give it to someone else they would have been really excellent.

Now TFA on the other hand just felt like souless fan service and coincidences on top of coincidences on top of coincidences that had me saying "oh fuck off" so many times! "Hey we just took off and Solo is right here faster than it even takes him to plot a hyperspace jump in Empire". Its so poorly written and there isnt really a core there thats worth a damn in my opinion. Darth Tantrum is literally one of the worst villains of all time. Theres not an original bone in its body thats worth a damn. I was laughing my ass off at the hammy Stormtrooper bloodhand scene at the start, I actually face palmed at the "emotional scene" and everytime they did a "remember that thing you liked in 4-6, here it is again with a twist! Yoda, you liked Yoda right? We made a new yoda thats just like yoda except fucking shit".

I really hate that film because it shit the bed so much. The trailers utterly nailed it, they were fantastic. Then.... urgh! I didnt even pay attention to Rogue One because of it and nearly didnt go to see it until a "oh well, theres nothing else on, might as well" and it was fab!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:35 pm

eVoL wrote:coincidences on top of coincidences on top of coincidences that had me saying "oh fuck off" so many times!

Aye. TFA just took everything in hand and insisted that you the viewer take on a colossal amount of suspension of disbelief so as to make each situation work one into the next and it just made the movie look fucking stupid over and over...and over again. Now I don't mind having to do that in most films but it just took it to such crazy extremes the film suffered hugely due to it as an actual experience. I also agree it had no soul - none. So lacking in soul was it it became almost painful.

I winced. I shrugged. I scoffed. I became frustrated. I tried to forget this was the Star Wars movie everyone was raving about.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:50 pm

I don't want to join in on a pile-on necessarily, but just wanted to say that Ford's stupid death aside, I literally cannot remember a single thing about the plot or characters of TFA. Even a few days later nothing about it had stuck with me. That's possibly its biggest crime, for me anyway.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:16 pm

Its biggest crime was what could and should have been after we saw that first trailer. Everything the movie wasn't. Like it had a lobotomy or something. Rogue was even better than the trailer which is rare these days.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:39 pm

I really enjoyed TFA....

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:36 pm

Attack of the Clones

Give me strength!
TPM didn't age gracefully, but at least I came to find some charm in it. This? Total drag.

Well, I'll tell you what I liked: Forced C3P0 jokes. Seismic charges. Sing-song New Zealand aliens. Christoper Lee was alright as well.

The rest of the film was Sam Jackson and Ewan McGregor sat in front of rubbish CGI and creepy Hayden Christensen being horribly awkward over a checked-out Natalie Portman. And those endless battle scenes... oh no.
So terribly dull and tiresome.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:00 am

Subway Diet wrote:Attack of the Clones

Give me strength!
TPM didn't age gracefully, but at least I came to find some charm in it. This? Total drag.

Well, I'll tell you what I liked: Forced C3P0 jokes. Seismic charges. Sing-song New Zealand aliens. Christoper Lee was alright as well.

The rest of the film was Sam Jackson and Ewan McGregor sat in front of rubbish CGI and creepy Hayden Christensen being horribly awkward over a checked-out Natalie Portman. And those endless battle scenes... oh no.
So terribly dull and tiresome.

Oh those Seismic charges!
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film