Films I've just watched 2017

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Rusty

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Rusty » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:38 am

These films have everything I should like, but like you, cannot seem to grasp the attration. I was never a transformers fan to start with anyway. Maybe that helps?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Nah, the actual franchise had nothing to do with why I disliked that film so much, it was just a genuinely awful piece of cinema. It had a script that made SyFy Original films look like works of art, with multiple testicle jokes, toilet humour, and such a blatant disregard for the audience's intelligence. The final fight between Optimus Prime, Megatron and The Fallen was around 30 seconds long, and the killing blow was delivered with the line "Give me your face!"

I think if I liked the franchise, I'd feel even more insulted.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Would you be surprised to hear that they actually get worse with each release?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Yes, actually. I've since read that the film was hurriedly finished to avoid possible strike action, and the dreadful Megan Fox character wasn't used afterwards. I would have hoped they'd get better.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:37 pm

What bugs me is that I see adverts on the side of bus stops for the most recent one and there's a second where I think its an ad for some crazy mecha movie... but no. :(
Animalmother wrote:District 9 or The Dark Knight maybe?
Watched Edge of Tomorrow and the whole Nolan Batman trilogy within the last month. Good stuff. Even came around on Dark Knight Rises!

District 9 is a good call, though. Already watched Chappie and Elysium recently. I'll watch that again tonight. :)
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:43 pm

Apparently the latest Transformer film is pretty good for around 2/3rds and then it devolves into the usual Transformer nonsense. It actually has a half decent story and isn't just over produced shots of robots hitting each other.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Yeah it was Free Fire that I meant earlier. I must rewatch District 9 myself, got it on blu ray and never looked at it.

DjchunKfunK wrote:Apparently the latest Transformer film is pretty good for around 2/3rds and then it devolves into the usual Transformer nonsense. It actually has a half decent story and isn't just over produced shots of robots hitting each other.

I dunno, I watched several reviews and every single one says it turns to utter shite within 5 minutes and stays that way until the end.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:45 pm

Assassin's Creed

Held off watching this as long as I could and while it certainly is watchable enough the one thing that killed it for me is just how massively jarring the animus became a constant intrusion into what should have been alternate scenes that concentrated entirely on the era itself. Flashing between the Fass doing stuff attached to the animus complete with 3D imitation scenery and then switching to full Assassin's attire with skippy editing drove me fucking insane. As if the film itself just didn't wish to let you enjoy the actual Assassin's sequences even though admittedly they were not all that great anyway. More intent with showing that Fass got buff for the role than actually showcasing what the movie is all about it seemed.

I really didn't like the costume design either. If like me you've seen one too many fan made films where they accurately recreate the likes of Ezio's suit going from that to the thin weightless and just plain ugly looking costumes in the movie was a severe disappointment. None of it looked right at all and was even worse while in motion.

Oh and don't even get me started on the kill everything with hidden blades stuff. Hand to hand combat? Fuck swords, fuck daggers, fuck it all. Hidden blade! That ending too. I felt as though nothing had happened and the film was already coming to a swift unimpressive close.

Say what you will about the Prince of Persia movie but it was ten times better than this lame effort.
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:37 am

Prey wrote:Assassin's Creed

Held off watching this as long as I could and while it certainly is watchable enough the one thing that killed it for me is just how massively jarring the animus became a constant intrusion into what should have been alternate scenes that concentrated entirely on the era itself. Flashing between the Fass doing stuff attached to the animus complete with 3D imitation scenery and then switching to full Assassin's attire with skippy editing drove me fucking insane. As if the film itself just didn't wish to let you enjoy the actual Assassin's sequences even though admittedly they were not all that great anyway. More intent with showing that Fass got buff for the role than actually showcasing what the movie is all about it seemed.

I really didn't like the costume design either. If like me you've seen one too many fan made films where they accurately recreate the likes of Ezio's suit going from that to the thin weightless and just plain ugly looking costumes in the movie was a severe disappointment. None of it looked right at all and was even worse while in motion.

Oh and don't even get me started on the kill everything with hidden blades stuff. Hand to hand combat? Fuck swords, fuck daggers, fuck it all. Hidden blade! That ending too. I felt as though nothing had happened and the film was already coming to a swift unimpressive close.

Say what you will about the Prince of Persia movie but it was ten times better than this lame effort.

I tried to watch this the other day and gave up right after the first Animus sequence (disclaimer: I've never played an AssCreed game for longer than 20 minutes and that was the first).

It was a load of garbled shite that didn't even have redeeming action sequence as far as I can tell.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:27 pm

Baby Driver
Pretty fucking good! :mrgreen:
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:28 pm

That the new Edgar Wright flick?

I saw the trailer and was left with no clear idea what it was about. I like his other stuff, though, so will keep an eye on it.
My face is tired.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:51 pm

He's a getaway driver with tinnitus and needs to listen to music to block out the noise and concentrate. Basically it's just an excuse to do things like shootouts to the beat of songs. It has no originality story wise but it's super stylish and fun and rarely slows down for the runtime. Enjoyed it a lot.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Yeah I'd agree with that summary pretty much. Direction and editing was fantastic and story was enough to keep the movie going, but it didn't outstay it's welcome. Solid good film making.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:18 pm

Good, I'm taking the missus to see it Tuesday night...
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:10 pm

One line reviews

Moonlight
A touching, character development, film with great acting, photography and a sublime soundtrack
8/10

Space Station 76
A weird, could be funnier, comedy about isolation in space. Surprisingly compelling in its naffness
6/10

I Am Not Your Nigger
A powerful documentary about civil rights and the black struggle than really made me think how desperate the black community faced in segregation USA
8/10

Captain Fantastic
Very entertaining
8/10

Dear White People
Very dull and dry to the point of annoyance
2/10

Kill Your Friends
Really enjoyed this black comedy on the music industry. Both insightful, funny and underrated
7/10

Zaytoun
A good film about a Palestinian boy and an Israeli soldier who end up needing each other to survive. Good
7/10

Paterson
Boring and pointless. Thought it was autobiographical until I read it is a piece of fiction - which confused the hell out of me.
5/10

Creed
One of the better Rocky movies. Good ending
7/10
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film