Films I've just watched 2017

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:30 pm

I've decided to have a re-watch of all the MCU films in the run up to Spiderman Homecoming's blu ray release on the 20th, with a mini-review of each. It's going to be a jam-packed schedule, but I'm excited about watching them all back-to-back to get a clearer sense of each phase's purpose as well as the direction and grander themes of the MCU as a whole. I'm also expecting my in-head ranking to change a bit. Currently this is where I think it is (from best to worst):

Avengers Assemble
Spiderman: Homecoming (this may be number one, but I need to see it again first)
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier
Iron Man 2
Thor 3: Ragnarok (definite placeholder position as it's too early to be sure)
Iron Man
Captain America 3: Civil War
Captain America: The First Avenger
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2
Thor
Doctor Strange (another placeholder as I've only seen it once)
Avengers 2: Age of Ultron
Iron Man 3
Thor 2: The Dark World
Ant Man
The Incredible Hulk

Yes, I rate Iron Man 2 much, much higher than most. I think it's unfairly condemned and has a stronger character arc than Iron Man 1, but I'll be attempting to go in with a fresh set of eyes this time.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:01 pm

Jigsaw
Better than the trailer makes it out to be. Lots more practical effects, the trailer seemed all CG. That said, its not great, you can see where its going early on and it falls apart if you think about it for more than a second.

Murder On The Orient Express

Really enjoyed it, its a good little remake. Good cast, other than some dodgy CG its well shot and acht, its just a dumb romp like you dont get any more.

Pfeiffer looks and acts and even sounds SO much like Julianne Moore, I honestly thought it was her for a good chunk of it.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:32 pm

What the fuck is Avengers Assemble?

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:21 pm

A gritty retelling of the time when Captain America bought more than he bargained for one Sunday at Ikea.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:26 pm

:lol:

The first Avengers film was called Avengers Assemble in the UK because there were fears it would be confused with the 60s TV show and shitty film The Avengers.

Photos!

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:01 pm

I like MM's explanation better. You can just imagine the tension as Banner realises there's one screw missing after unpacking his Fjargborg side table and hulking out.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Medicine Man wrote:A gritty retelling of the time when Captain America bought more than he bargained for one Sunday at Ikea.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pissed meself

Have some more emoji things :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:34 pm

Animalmother wrote:I like MM's explanation better. You can just imagine the tension as Banner realises there's one screw missing after unpacking his Fjargborg side table and hulking out.

:lol:
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:42 pm

You'd really rate Avengers as the best? Crikey. It was better than Age of Ultron, but overall I'd say the mashup ones have been two of the worst so far.

Also surprised at the dislike of Ant Man, which I thought was one of the funniest and least overly serious ones they've done for a while.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:46 pm

Yeah, really liked Ant Man as well.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:12 pm

We watched Guardians of the Galaxy v2 for the first time at the weekend, and I found it a massive disappointment. The pacing was dreadful, and most of the humour really didn't hit the mark with us. I don't think I really found it entertaining until the final third. It suffered from the same problems as Age of Ultron, in that they used the same formula but with a script not even half as good as the first.

Regarding my MCU rankings, in terms of preference rather than cinematic excellence;

Avengers Assemble
Captain America 3: Civil War
Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man 2
Thor 2: The Dark World
Iron Man
Ant Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man 3
Thor
Avengers 2: Age of Ultron
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

Not yet seen:
Thor 3
Spiderman: Homecoming
Doctor Strange
The Incredible Hulk (nor am I really interested in seeing it)

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Iron Man

Still superb. Later MCU films have got a tad messy in terms of focus due to the mass of superheroes littered across the screen, but Iron Man has the advantage of starting with a single hero in the making. What struck me watching it this time is how Tony's motivation for heroism evolves: initially it's just survival in the cave; once he escapes it's accountability for what his company is doing, and by the end it's personal responsibility to use his skills and technology to help the world. The thing is - and this is important for Iron Man 2 - he's still doing it for ego at this point. His motivation to be responsible isn't due to a sense of moral duty, it's because of a need for approval. He wants the world to love him. When I watch IM2 on Friday, I'm sure I'll have more to say on that with regards to his dad.

The Incredible Hulk

The first half is much better than I remembered, and sadly the second half is exactly as bad as I feared. The first half has a strong setup, is well presented and even a bit emotional at a couple of points when Banner sees Betty with another man. After the fight at the university everything gets over-complicated, over-blown and tedious. It stands alone in the MCU for several reasons, not least of which is its grim tone, and while the other phase one films explore different types of heroism, the only reason this is in phase one is because the Hulk needs introducing before the Avengers team up.

As a standalone film it has potential to be good. It's not really a superhero film because Banner isn't a hero here, nor is the Hulk. The core conflict is that Banner wants to cure himself and General Ross wants to catch and exploit him - i.e. Banner isn't being heroic, he's simply trying not to hurt anyone else. Putting aside the tiresome fight at the end, Banner and Ross's arcs are resolved pretty well, with both of them realising they can't control the Hulk. The final shot of Banner transforming with a slight grin implies he's decided to own his condition rather than run from it.

As a side note I must say I hugely prefer Mark Ruffalo's Banner and Hulk. Ed Norton is a great actor but he never feels quite right in this role. Nor does Tim Roth unfortunately, although part of that is the Americanised lines he's given when his character is Russo-British. The line about softball especially... really, Marvel? On the whole though, the film has raised in my estimation.

Photos!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Mantis wrote:You'd really rate Avengers as the best? Crikey. It was better than Age of Ultron, but overall I'd say the mashup ones have been two of the worst so far.

Also surprised at the dislike of Ant Man, which I thought was one of the funniest and least overly serious ones they've done for a while.

I'll discuss Avengers properly when I come to watching it, but yeah... I adore it. I think it's a genuinely excellent film, not just mindless fun. I'd go as far as putting it in my top five films of all time.

I don't hate Ant Man, I just think it has a lot of problems. I didn't find it particularly funny compared to some other MCU films and at times it's even arguably slightly racist.

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:47 pm

I don't think I'd put it in my top films of all time list, but Avengers Assemble had *such* a good script that I think it belongs at the top of any list of MCU films.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:39 am

I find it real hard to differentiate between the MCU films because so many just blend together. I think I enjoyed Guardians 2 the most, gun to head. I think a better job has been done with marvel properties outside the MCU.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film