Films I've just watched 2017

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Animalmother » Mon May 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Free Fire

Entertaining little film about an arms deal that rapidly goes tits up in an abandoned factory during the 1970's. More a comedy than an action film with pretty much everyone catching multiple painful looking bullet wounds and rolling around on the floor in agony. Bit like an early Guy Ritchie film before he married Madonna and became shite.

7/10

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue May 30, 2017 8:07 am

I started watching Batman Vs Superman and what an excellent start! I love the premise and they executed it pretty well. Certainly way better than the Marvel way of "nobody gets hurt, honest!". Then it started getting a bit baggy and messy and I noticed I have over 2 hours left and I gave up. I might finish it one day but meh!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue May 30, 2017 2:38 pm

Still catching up on my 3D movies. Last night was Jupiter Ascending.

Haha. Still highly campy and completely mad. I'd call it a guilty pleasure, only I feel no guilt.

And then there's Eddie Redmayne. I have no idea what he was trying to do, but wow! :lol:

(The action is pretty great as well.)
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed May 31, 2017 4:37 pm

gpa-gone-west wrote:Watched the first John Wick film yesterday. No idea what the body count is, don't think I can count that high. But its a real blast. Not normally my sort of thing.

You can nick a man's car, but kill his dog, and you cross the line. :lol:

I only saw it recently too. I am with him too, anyone fucked with my mutt I would happily go all John Wick on their ass, hell we almost have the same surname, although I am lacking the ninja madskillz and guns :D

eVoL wrote:I started watching Batman Vs Superman and what an excellent start! I love the premise and they executed it pretty well. Certainly way better than the Marvel way of "nobody gets hurt, honest!". Then it started getting a bit baggy and messy and I noticed I have over 2 hours left and I gave up. I might finish it one day but meh!

Another one I watched recently - wife was out so I put it on, started struggling, saw how long was to go and finished it another day. Was wank, don't bother.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Wonder Woman
It's good. Better than most Marvel stuff. DC films have been rough but they do have a certain weight to them that Marvel lacks which actually makes it pretty jarring when she does her super jump. No invisible plane though.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:10 pm

Watched all of Batman Vs Superman now

Uhm...... why does everyone hate thing? Its VERY baggy in parts and could do with being around 2 hours long instead of 3 but for a superhero film it was pretty damn good. Theres weight and repercussions, an actual feeling of risk that Marvel has utterly none of. It builds into being a universe film way better than marvels post credit tack ons. It has some amazing visuals too (Sups in court for example) thought lasers are way way way way too blown out like they took all the flares from the new Star Treks and piled them into one frame.

Id take it over almost all of Marvels output since Avengers except GotG2. I was expecting it to me on Suicide Squads level and thats why its taken me so long to watch it but it most definitely isnt. After this and Wonder Woman I'm actually looking forward to seeing whats next for DC.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:37 pm

Probably going to watch BvS again.
I keep thinking... maybe it's not so bad? Might even watch Man of Steel again just to really wallow in the DCEU bleakness.

Sat down and watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button last night.
I'm not much for overly clever epic dramas, but that was a fine enough story. Does reinforce my thought that I'm just not that into Fincher, though.
End of an Era

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:05 pm

Well from what I hear the extended cut improves it a lot over the theatrical. Jessie Is still a shit lex in both cuts though.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:48 pm

eVoL wrote:Well from what I hear the extended cut improves it a lot over the theatrical. Jessie Is still a shit lex in both cuts though.

It just adds a bit of violence to the beginning and the future vision bit from what I can remember. I didn't hate the film but found it very tedious by the midway point. Your right, it could have been a lot better it it had been under 2 hours.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:00 am

eVoL wrote:Watched all of Batman Vs Superman now

Uhm...... why does everyone hate thing? Its VERY baggy in parts and could do with being around 2 hours long instead of 3 but for a superhero film it was pretty damn good. Theres weight and repercussions, an actual feeling of risk that Marvel has utterly none of. It builds into being a universe film way better than marvels post credit tack ons. It has some amazing visuals too (Sups in court for example) thought lasers are way way way way too blown out like they took all the flares from the new Star Treks and piled them into one frame.

Id take it over almost all of Marvels output since Avengers except GotG2. I was expecting it to me on Suicide Squads level and thats why its taken me so long to watch it but it most definitely isnt. After this and Wonder Woman I'm actually looking forward to seeing whats next for DC.

It was all just a disjointed mess I thought. Batman (I did like BatFleck), who for years has never killed a soul suddenly slaughtering people fit to make the Punisher blush with no real description as to why, who is all set to kill Superman but changes his mind and becomes his bestie just because their mums had the same name. There were bits of it that were pretty cool, but within the cool bits were hours of fluff that were pointless.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:28 pm

John Wick 2

Had another watch of this and its one of the most ridiculously fun films to be released in a long time. From the great pre credits scene to the fucking nuts catacomb battle and the final head shot bonanza (and a few running battles in-between) this film is just a hoot to watch.

:o :o

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:08 am

Watched 300: Rise of an Empire.... in 3D!

Yeah, that's a guilty pleasure. It's all flash and not substance. And I like that flash!
Lots of slow mo carnage with huge, comical gouts of blood arching through the scene. Just a shame that It's a dull, sluggish mess where everyone talks in stilted, dramatic statements in between the battles.

And, I've mentioned before, the sounds track is pretty awesome.

That said, Eva Green and Sullivan Stapleton hate fucking in the third dimension is a little too real for my tastes. :shock:
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:38 am

Subway Diet wrote:Watched 300: Rise of an Empire.... in 3D!

Yeah, that's a guilty pleasure. It's all flash and not substance. And I like that flash!
Lots of slow mo carnage with huge, comical gouts of blood arching through the scene. Just a shame that It's a dull, sluggish mess where everyone talks in stilted, dramatic statements in between the battles.

And, I've mentioned before, the sounds track is pretty awesome.

That said, Eva Green and Sullivan Stapleton hate fucking in the third dimension is a little too real for my tastes. :shock:

Man I actually watched that pile of bilge in the cinema, granted in 2D :lol:

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Pretty sure Eva Green had an abscess or something her mouth was all over the place.

She's also not shy on the nudity front either.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Rossell wrote:Pretty sure Eva Green had an abscess or something her mouth was all over the place.

She's also not shy on the nudity front either.

I think I've only seen her on screen once ever where she didn't get her kit off at some point (Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children)
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film