Films I've just watched 2017

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 am

To give Cloud Atlas its credit - the music by Tom Tykwer is gorgeous
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:20 pm

David Fincher Double Bill -

Panic Room

Still can't believe it's now fifteen long years since I first sat in a cinema and was so very engrossed in this great movie. It's a home invasion movie that still very much puts every other to shame and one that consists of a cast that is so well cast every single person brings something to the table along the way. Yep even the then very young not yet annoying and actually very well acting Kristen Stewart. Foster, Whitaker, Leto and Yoakom (sp?) are all superb. If you can see beyond the premise that a single mother and her one daughter actually require the move into such an overly huge house with more floors than they could possibly ever actually utilise for a simple home invasion flick it has just as many layers as it does floors which makes it all more confounding that this is the same writer who gave us recent box office bomb The Mummy. Everything about this movie brought about many now staples of Fincher including the floating opening credits amid cityscapes and buildings at the start to many of the excellent camera pan features he has become known for over the years. It's still one of my favourites of his lagging slightly behind The Social Network, Seven and Fight Club. Clever, stylish, engrossing and perfectly paced it remains one of Fincher's best works and hopefully one that will in turn lead people to one of Fincher's earlier and most overlooked films and another of my personal favourites The Game that had such a stellar performance from Michael Douglas.

Zodiac

Five years after Panic Room Fincher took on one of the most infamous murder mysteries of all time - The Zodiac Killer. Considering my personal slightly morbid fascination with all things serial killers you'd strongly expect a mix of both Fincher and that particular subject matter when also thrown in with the likes of movie heavyweights Gyllenhaal, Ruffalo and of course RDJ to be a dream come true. You'd be wrong however. For me Zodiac was a mess and a movie I felt I endured rather than enjoyed. Firstly it's far too long coming in at 2 hours and 37 minutes for a film that has the pace not unlike that of a zimmer framed granny making her way to the shops and back and the actual documenting of events are just so nonsensical in nature with events very often skipping a very odd 2 and a half weeks later constantly. Whether that was the Zodiacs actual time frame I do not know I just know it made the film feel like it skipped, skipped, skipped and skipped some more in between any form of coherent intent. For every moment I was dragged in (the sight of a black clad Zodiac walking up to a pair of young lovers having an otherwise serene picnic then rather horrifically stabbing them both after he tied them up) I'd be dragged back to scenes that just dragged on and added next to nothing to the proceedings. It's as if the movie constantly loses sight and focus of what it is actually trying to get at and after the first hour or so it just becomes mind numbingly irritating to the bloody extreme. I've never understood the praise the movie has garnered and I consider it one of Fincher's very rare yet very true misfires in a sea of otherwise exemplary and consistently fantastic film making. What should have been a dream movie ended up as one I couldn't wait to erase from memory. Such a shame.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:38 pm

The Girl With All the Gifts

Prey did a pretty comprehensive review of this already a few weeks ago, but yeah its a bit shite. Some woeful acting from the main child actress and a plot so shamlessly ripped off from The Last of Us I'm surprised they haven't been done for plagiarism.

The world is overrun with cordyceps fungus infected zombies. One special girl might be the chance of a cure. Road trip ensues and theres some bonding. The game is fantastic, this wasn't. Not terrible and it does some interesting things with the idea, just not a very good film over all.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:31 am

Sully - Miracle on the Hudson

A surprisingly engaging account of the pilot who landed a passenger jet on the Hudson river, played by Tom Hanks (superb as always), and the aftermath of the event. I had no idea he had to go through a series of hearings to determine if he could have got back to the airport or if one of the engines really did fail, and the way the film shows that process and portrays the conclusions is gripping. Highly recommended.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am

Yeah, that's been on my to-watch list for a while. Must get round to it.
My face is tired.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:48 am

Not been keeping up on giving my impressions on films.

Well, I saw King Arthur: Legend on the Sword last night. Had to get some words down before I completely forget about it.

Goodness me. Everything on paper sounds like this would be right up my alley.

The biggest problem is that it suffers massively from that Zack Snyder/Michael Bay problem where every little event in the film is played up with maximum punch. It's those stylistic Guy Richie moments, only dragged out for damn dear the entirety of the film with little to no down time. It gets wearing to the point that when the film does want impress, your brain has already become numbed to all spectacle.
The story is a bit of a non-event as well. It's the basic King Arthur legend, only by way of Lord of the Rings and Londinum tough lad banter. It's affable nonsense, so I really didn't mind how muddled it becomes at points or some of the slightly tragic acting. It's a film that was going to be made or broken on it's visuals, and somehow they messed that up.

Crazy to think that they were bragging about the film being close to four hours before being cut down to two. My brain had been burnt out after one and a half.
End of an Era

Previous

Return to TV & Film