Films I've just watched 2017

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
eVoL

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby eVoL » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:14 am

Animalmother wrote:Did anyone else notice Michael Caine as the RAF controller talking to the guys in the Spitfire's?

He has such an indestinctive voice, how could we tell it was him? :lol:
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:43 am

Hey. A couple more movies!

Kong: Skull Island

I rather enjoyed that. It's more or less the tone of Godzilla 2014, transplanted to King Kong by way of a Vietnam war movie. It's not going to win any awards, but for a shameless blockbuster romp with some stunning visuals, I give it a thumbs up!

John Wick: Chapter 2

Watched this again. Liked it even more the second time around. Perhaps more than the first film? The pacing and structure is certainly a bit better. Well, faster, at least.

Strangely enough, for a film where Keanu Reeves shoots everyone in the head... I didn't realise just how violent the film was until re-watching it. Kind of just washed over me the first time, but he graphically shoots a lot of guys in the head. :shock:
One thing that bugs me about the film though: Magical silences. There's Hollywood quiet, and then there's that bullshit. :lol:
End of an Era

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:18 am

Rewatched Goodfellas last night for the first time in a great many years. Still a fantastic film. Was interesting this time to see so many scenes that would go on to be referenced by the likes of Sopranos, the Mafia games etc.
My face is tired.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:42 pm

Valerian
The worst film Ive seen in ages. Worse than that thing with Colin Farrell in the Civil War. The story is dumb, the script, especially between the two main characters is soooo bad and the set pieces are so ill thought and stupid. Who thought the dual dimension scene even made scene beyond a brain nugget of a cool stick up between dimensions? The first 10mins was awesome, I was all in at that point and then they do the push into space at which I said to myself "well thats not a good idea" and it just got worse from there. Great alien designs, a neat premise, some neat space race easter egg things and it has a look that does echo the Fifth Element at times but most of the rest is just utter trash. I was and am so up for another Fifth Element type ride because theres still nothing like it and I still love it to bits but this is far from it.

I actually thought it was a YA adaptation because it has that type of awful dialogue and plastic wrap sexual chemistry but apparently its all Bessons writing though based on a comic.

Just avoid with all your might. Its so so so so so dumb and not in a good way.

I'm away to watch the Fifth Element again.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:13 pm

lol
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:21 pm

It looked pretty awful from the trailer. I don't think Luc Besson had done anything good since the 90's

Day of the Jackal

Great film from the early 70's about an assassin trying to kill Charles de Gaulle. It clips along at a good pace and still takes the time to explain the intricacies of preparing for the job and the cops trying to track him down. No internet, mobile phones etc means everything is done by telephone and paper documents. And everyone smokes all the time. If it got a proper modern remake it would have to be a Michael Mann job.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:27 pm

one of the all time greats. I see it every year and it never gets old. Apparently I think it one of top films that uses shots of clocks to ascertain time
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:07 am

Achtung Englander wrote:one of the all time greats. I see it every year and it never gets old. Apparently I think it one of top films that uses shots of clocks to ascertain time

Yeah there's nearly always a clock on view or someone checking their watch. That or dragging on a cigarette. When Jackal is disguising himself as a Danish tourist he looks exactly like Donald Trump's son, it's uncanny.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Totally forgot to mention that I got around to watching Free Fire the other day.

I really enjoyed it!
Not sure what else needs to be said. They managed to make something out of an hour and a half inside a warehouse, laying on the dirt. The cast was a pleasure to watch and the film had genuine laughs and winces.

Need to track down more Ben Wheatly films. Only seen High Rise, but I hear Sightseers, A Field in England and Kill List are meant to be good.. if weird.
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:09 am

Sightseers is really good, well worth checking out.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Dunkirk

My sleeper hit of the year. Had little to no interest in it to be honest but it is pretty much spot on.
The star is 100% the audio though,. Go see it in the cinema, I suspect it may suffer from home viewing lacking the oomph of cinema sound.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:29 pm

Atomic Blonde
Plot is weak as hell and there are one too many slow parts but some cracking action sequences. I'd be surprised if half the bruises on Theron by the end weren't real, looks like she certainly put the work in. It's no John Wick but it's no slouch and it has style.

Eny

Postby Eny » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:06 am

Yeah saw this midweek and was surprised at her dedication to the role, she certainly got into the fight sequences. Good film in all, pleased it was worth the entry fee. Apparently she is still having regular dental work!
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:32 pm

So, dug out Heat. Gave it watch. That so wasn't the film I thought I remembered. Very good.

Solitaire

Postby Solitaire » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Rusty wrote:So, dug out Heat. Gave it watch. That so wasn't the film I thought I remembered. Very good.

Yeah, one of my favorites for sure. A rare film that has me yelling at the screen at the end, cheering for the bad guy and telling him not to screw everything up with one impulsive decision! :shock: :oops: :mrgreen:

My signature is like a time capsule from the Wild West of the internet :o

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film