Films I've just watched 2017

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
eVoL

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby eVoL » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:23 am

Tank wrote:Was Churchill any good mate?

I enjoyed it for what it was. Cox is excellent. It takes some liberties though, particularly with one story thread that cant possibly be true and is utterly transparent in its "get the feels". Same kind of thing I have the problem with Dunkirk.

Rusty wrote:I'm not sure why this is celebrated. We had our arses kicked and then ran but couldn't run over water and got trapped. Then we managed to run away properly with the help of civilians.

Not our finest hour but then my knowledge of the retreat is patchy at best.

An amazing event doesn't always have to be a victorious event.

You know, mulling over it, I think I was way too harsh on Dunkirk. It is good, just those things about it that annoy me really annoy me! Mainly the land character getting into every situation, the stairs bit on the sea and the very final bit of the air.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:13 pm

Dunkirk

Superb. The use of time is sublime. The acting, music and direction is excellent and it is so nice not to see an American accent in sight. A British war story for Brits.

I have not bought a Blu Ray in donkey ages. I am getting this.

9/10

on a side note - the trailer for Blade Runner 2048 has put a little faith in me that it will not be a fuck up and the trailer hints that Deckard and this new character may be Replicants. It feels in keeping with the original while embracing cinema for today
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Does it touch on the shameful sides of the operation at all? As in how escape was denied those from other nations in many cases.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Just back from seeing Dunkirk

Not really sure what to say, other than that really was something.

Exceptionally well done.
End of an Era

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Jez wrote:Does it touch on the shameful sides of the operation at all? As in how escape was denied those from other nations in many cases.

Yes
Spoiler: show
it showed the English pushing back the French

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:23 am

Yep hopefully see this on Friday then.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 am

I plan to see it again next week

someone is not happy
https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... ft-me-cold

I think what Cox misinterpreted is that this is not a conventional war film like 2001 is not a conventional SF film. Both are told via imagery and emotion as opposed to the standard he said she said. That is why for me it worked beautifully. I agree that scale is a big problem with the film and the decision not to use CGI when it could have been used really effectively here is bizarre but the strength of the film is to try something different.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:18 pm

All I can say on Dunkirk is that the trailers make it all look rather boring.

As for the Guardian article I can understand the criticisms around the history of the event. When you are dealing with an actual event from history I think you need to make an effort to be accurate. You can still do that and still tell the story through visuals.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:51 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:As for the Guardian article I can understand the criticisms around the history of the event. When you are dealing with an actual event from history I think you need to make an effort to be accurate. You can still do that and still tell the story through visuals.

I haven't seen Dunkirk yet so I can't comment specifically on that, but generally I disagree with the need to be historically accurate. If you're making an historical story, your first service is to the story, and if that means taking artistic licence to make it more dramatic then that is absolutely what you should do. If you place historical accuracy above all else then you're making a documentary.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:35 pm

I think you can take some license round the peripheral edges but the accepted facts I do not believe you should change.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:14 pm

Yeah, I always felt that was where Iron Sky let itself down a little.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:38 pm

Dunkirk

Yeah that was well good. Well paced, sparse dialogue and lots of beautiful roaring engine noises and sudden gun fire. Kind of wish I'd seen it in IMAX now just for the flying bits. Few small gripes are that the beaches looked too empty for a mass evacuation and the town of Dunkirk itself was full of obviously modern buildings, this could have been fixed with a bit of CGI (its not always a bad thing).

Also, Stuka's are fucking terrifying. I know this is a well established fact but few films have captured just how pant shitting scary they were.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:00 pm

agree - CGI would have actually improved the film. He did not even have to use it in your face like some directors, just little touches like adding background items and removing buildings

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:55 pm

Did anyone else notice Michael Caine as the RAF controller talking to the guys in the Spitfire's?

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:02 pm

no

Wow 2 cinema visits in one week. You are spoiling us with these Ferro Roche Achtung Englander. I have not done that in about a decade !

So...War Of The Planet Of The Apes. Better than Dawn and probably just as good (if a smidgen better) than Rise. It is by no means a masterpiece as some are making out. The CGI is unbelievably good. The story is pretty good as well and it does bridge on some of the questions raised from the first 2 films, linking with the 68 original. Little nods like the music, Nova, the crucifixes, the desert homeland and the dumming of humans are all touched upon. I was certain the missing astronauts (Taylor) would make a crash landing at the end but was not meant to be. I suppose if they are sticking to canon it is far too early because in the 68 film they crashed land 2000 years in the future, not 15 when War takes place.

It was a tad long and could have done with 15/20 mins shaved off but it was a decent close to this trilogy set. Apes will most definitely come back with a new trilogy and I hope it is in the same universe as these films.

I would put this as my 3rd favourite Ape film after the 68 original and Beneath (even with all of its weirdness). I love this franchise and I hope it continues.

btw - the 2001 Burton film does not exist and if anyone mentions it you are suffering from a delusion

7/10

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film