Films I've just watched 2017

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby Animalmother » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:38 am

Subway Diet wrote:Been watching The Matrix trilogy again. Felt like the time was right.

The Matrix

Continues to hold it's title as an End of the Millennium classic. Did my best to forgot the years of parody and imitation that followed in it's wake and focused on just how fresh this was. Sure, it's got the shades of Dark City about it, but the whole vaguely cyberpunk with apocalyptic twist and heavy influence from 90s anime was one hell of thing at the time. Still full of great stunts, action and visuals. All the one liners and monologues hold up.

Still just a damn good film and works perfectly as a stand alone.

The Matrix Reloaded

I'm shocked at how much I enjoyed watching this movie again. Not exactly regarded as an all time great, but it certainly falls into romp territory for me. Almost managed to maintain a stupid, unironic grin throughout whole thing. Some of those action set pieces are still a thrill. Utterly shameless wire-fu choreography set to the most 00s soundtrack possible. And as much as I talk crap about Blade 2 for it's CGI humans, I start to wonder if people have zero joy in their lives if they get upset by the uncanny valley that the Neo vs Agent Smiths fight plunges into. I don't know. Maybe I'm just bad at enjoying films. That wacky nonsense gives me a giddy thrill.

Oh, and it's so far up it's own ass I love it. What's wrong with me? A critical lack of taste, it seems.

-

Let's see how the final film holds up. :)

That car chase in Reloaded is still fantastic. I haven't seen 3 since it was in the cinema so I'd be curious if it's still as naff as I remember.

I must watch Fight Club, it came out in 1999 as well I think. I've heard it hasn't aged well but I'd say it's just as good.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:08 pm

The uncanny valley fight in the Matrix reloaded only bothers me because I really enjoy well choreographed fight scenes and the CGI stuff, whilst a spectacle, lacks that physical edge.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm being a bit of a fanny, I'll admit. Can totally see how switching back and forth between expertly well shot and choreographed fighting and CGI can be bothersome. I just happen to find it entertaining instead of distracting... somehow. :lol:

Oh, and the whole back half of the film where it goes from the chalet fight into the motor way sequence. Goodness me!
And then there's the fact they're being chased down by the twins from that gardening show. They just happen to be playing albino dreadlocks ghosts who fight with switch blades. :-k
End of an Era

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:48 pm

I did really like how they tried to explain the supernatural.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:13 pm

I think the Matrix movies stand the test of time quite well. The third one is the weakest because of how little time it actually spends in the Matrix itself, and the second one always seemed to me like it had been heavily edited towards the finale which garbled the story a bit; but the first one is a pure classic.

I loved how the fight scenes progressively got more insane as the franchise went on too. To the point where Neo and Smith are outright flying through a city tearing chunks of building down like something out of Dragonball Z.

Ultimately there's so much pseudo-philosophy, anime influenced and martial arts style sequences, electronic music and geeky sci fi, that it could never not be enjoyable to me.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:04 pm

Mantis wrote:Ultimately there's so much pseudo-philosophy, anime influenced and martial arts style sequences, electronic music and geeky sci fi, that it could never not be enjoyable to me.
I'm shocked that we agree on this. :shock:
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:05 pm

You serious? Our tastes align in quite a lot of areas.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Just assumed my great appreciation for the sequels was one of those crazy things that very few people shared. Like when I talk up Prometheus or, I dunno, The Wolverine. :P
End of an Era

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:57 pm

La La Land

If you haven't seen it and are considering watch it, all I'll say it's completely worth your time but go in blind.

Spoiler: show
The first third of the film I found enjoyable enough, if a little predictable. I went in expecting a form of Hollywood schmaltz and I got it, so fair is fair. The middle third began to grab my attention with Seb and Mia's relationship falling apart as they pursued their dreams. So much, so Hollywood, but Hollywood done well. Then we're swept forward five years into the final act.

Good gravy! This is the master stroke which re-frames the entire thing and makes it worthy of its awards. At several points throughout the film I thought I knew where it was going only for the story to swoop some other way, and even as I realised the now-married-with-kids Mia was inevitably going to stumble upon Seb's club, finally open, I still didn't truly get where it was going until it happened. The 'dream' sequence, if that's the thing to call it, seals the whole film - crystallises it. They both achieved their dreams; Mia became a successful actress and Seb opened his club and brought jazz to the people. But the dream of them ending up together, which is what we obviously expect from Hollywood, is the one they didn't achieve and the one that - as they tragically both understand at that moment - mattered most to them.

On a first viewing, not a perfect film, but few films end as perfectly as this.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:50 pm

The Circle

What the world would be like if Facebook ruled the world.

Good themes, good issue tackling, kinda naff acting, bumf story....
I enjoyed it because of what it was about, not because of how it was presented if that makes sense?

The wife, naturally, was bored by it :)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Eny

Postby Eny » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:47 pm

eVoL wrote:The Beguiled
One of the worst films Ive seen in the cinema. Colin Farrell is the cleanest, most perfectly groomed soldier ever to have seen battle in fact or fiction. The dialogue is stilted and unnatural. The editing is horrendous and for some reason Colin can teleport! Its the only explanation for how he can do half the things he does like the scene at the gate with the little girl. Final two scenes were well done but man the rest is bad. No fault of the actors, I think theyre doing what they can with what they have. Most of this has to fall of Coppola.

Yep, me and the missus went to see this tonight and we were left wondering what we had just watched tbh. How did this film even get made?
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:58 am

Wrathbone wrote:La La Land

If you haven't seen it and are considering watch it, all I'll say it's completely worth your time but go in blind.

The first third of the film I found enjoyable enough, if a little predictable. I went in expecting a form of Hollywood schmaltz and I got it, so fair is fair. The middle third began to grab my attention with Seb and Mia's relationship falling apart as they pursued their dreams. So much, so Hollywood, but Hollywood done well. Then we're swept forward five years into the final act.

Good gravy! This is the master stroke which re-frames the entire thing and makes it worthy of its awards. At several points throughout the film I thought I knew where it was going only for the story to swoop some other way, and even as I realised the now-married-with-kids Mia was inevitably going to stumble upon Seb's club, finally open, I still didn't truly get where it was going until it happened. The 'dream' sequence, if that's the thing to call it, seals the whole film - crystallises it. They both achieved their dreams; Mia became a successful actress and Seb opened his club and brought jazz to the people. But the dream of them ending up together, which is what we obviously expect from Hollywood, is the one they didn't achieve and the one that - as they tragically both understand at that moment - mattered most to them.

On a first viewing, not a perfect film, but few films end as perfectly as this.

I saw this recently at an outdoor viewing and agree about going in blind. I'm fairly allergic to musicals, mainly because the choreographed sequences break the 'flow' of the story for me, even if they're splendid and the tune catchy but somehow La La Land seemed to make the music work as part of the story, improving the flow rather than disrupting it. The best thing is:

as you mentioned, the bravery to not have them end in the happily ever after that we wanted for them. That final dream sequence of 'what could have been' affected me profoundly, dredging up memories of choices I've made in my life that have resulted in both good and bad things happening but not want you might have wanted or expected

I enjoyed it enough that I'll be picking up the blue ray which something I only do for films that merit repeat viewing.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 am

I love that there are so many different ways of interpreting the end sequence. For me it's "what could have been", like you say, and at the same there's a sense that it's a complete fantasy that NEVER could have been because Hollywood isn't real life and if you can't fulfil every dream. It's powerful and complex, and I think on repeat viewings I'll see it in completely different ways too.

Photos!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:01 pm

Captain America (1990)

Long before the MCU, Marvel produced this unholy nightmare which may well be the worst superhero movie ever made. Given that this came out about six months after Tim Burton's highly successful 1989 Batman, it's a wonder Marvel agreed for Captain America to be shown at all. It is gloriously inept, the Cap is a turd of a human being and nothing makes any sense whatsoever at any point. I should point out that the DVD transfer of this is the worst I have ever seen (it looked like someone had filmed a VHS copy on their phone at the lowest possible bitrate), and while I don't think it could have made the film any worse, it didn't paint it in a great light either. Full spoilers ahead, but frankly nobody else should ever have to watch this.

The film opens in Italy 1939, where Mussolini's men kidnap a random child for his "superior intelligence" and then murder his family. The kid is then given a super serum and turned into the Red Skull. We're told 7 years have passed and somehow the war is still ongoing (I guess 1945 minus 1939 is a tricky sum). Never fear though because a scientist from the Red Skull's procedure escaped to America and now they can create a super soldier! They pick Steve Rogers, a polio victim who already looks like Captain America, albeit with a slight limp (which doesn't stop him from sprinting across a field). He says bye to his family and girlfriend and is given the serum, which involves a distressing amount of electrocution for no clear reason. It works! Probably! There's no real indication of this, but Cap seems fine so everyone assumes he's now a fully trained super soldier and so the next day they send him off in a plane to single-handedly take down the Red Skull, armed only with his trusty shield. He does question why he's only been given a shield (clearly made of cheap plastic), but before he can ask any more troubling questions he's shoved out the door straight into a fight. He immediately gets his arse handed to him and the Red Skull straps him to the side of a nuke and fires it at the White House. That's not a metaphor; he's literally attached to the side with some crude welding and fired from South-East Europe to America. It's fine, though - moments before the missile hits, Cap manages to kick the missile off target and it somehow lands in Alaska without exploding. Thus begins his big freeze.

Fast forward to 1990. The President is going to a summit in Rome where he's going to announce a new environmental treaty. The Red Skull disapproves in a very Trump-ish way, however, and hatches a plot to assassinate the President. Meanwhile, some people in Alaska stumble upon Cap who conveniently wakes up, and rather than say anything to anybody he just runs away. Someone manages to snap a photo of him which makes the front page (even though presumably nobody knows who or what Captain America is since he ballsed up his first ever mission and went MIA). The President sees this and calls some random guy who decides to drive up to Alaska and pick him up. Red Skull also sees it and sends his daughter off in a helicopter to kill Cap.

Cap at this point hasn't found a town or a means of transport or anything - no, he decides to sprint through the Canadian wilderness instead. By complete coincidence, Red Skull's daughter spies him from her helicopter right as Random Guy also stumbles across him in his Ford Pinto. Cap grabs a lift with him and escapes by means that aren't clear. Anyway, instead of thanking the guy, Cap promptly kicks him out in the middle of nowhere and steals the car. For America! :lol: He straight up leaves the guy for dead, then drives the car until it runs out of fuel, ditches it and stows away in the back of a truck the rest of the way to California. He looks up his old girlfriend who is now old and married with a gown up daughter. Cap spends five minutes chatting with his old flame with a look of "oh, fuck this" strewn across his face before deciding to leave. He takes the daughter with him for good measure, and a few minutes later the rest of the household is gunned down by Red Skull's henchmen. Cap and daughter learn this soon after, but they couldn't give less of a shit and are soon wisecracking again.

We're told that the President has been kidnapped. The Red Skull's assassination plot has now been altered to the plot of Face/Off: he's going to steal the President's face and become President himself. Yes, I know. Anyhow, Cap and daughter (I don't think we're told her name - I'll call her Jane) head off to Italy to rescue the President while the rest of America doesn't seem that bothered. Cap tries to ditch Jane by YET AGAIN stealing another car, but she catches up with him. Some lacklustre fights occur with random henchmen in the streets, and Cap steals a bicycle to escape and rides it off a cliff into the sea. Somehow he and Jane make it to Castle Red Skull, or whatever it is. The President escapes his cell by kicking the door until it opens (nobody hears this) and then teams up with Cap for some patriotic slaughtering of henchmen. This eventually leads to Red Skull threatening to detonate a nuke which will take out all of Southern Europe, but Cap throws his shield which knocks him off a cliff and decapitates Red Skull's daughter on the return arc. USA! The detonator stops working because... reasons.... who cares. Then the film abruptly ends. Thank Christ.

So in summary, nothing makes sense, Cap is a dick to everyone he meets and the President guns down some anti-environmentalists for good measure.

2/10

EDIT - The car-stealing scenes:

Photos!

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:12 pm

You watched the wrong one. The 1979 Reb Brown Cap is the one to watch.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film