Films I've just watched 2018

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Films I've just watched 2018

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:04 am

Jez wrote:
katarn wrote:I'm not into superhero movies, but is that the one with the CGI'd upper lip that looks like a facial disfigurement?

Neither am I. They all seem to blend into one for me couldn't even tell where to start if I even wanted to.

#sausagefactoryfilmmaking.

Yeah, same Jez. Last one I went to see was the first Avengers film, haven't bothered since then.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:06 am

Jez wrote:Neither am I. They all seem to blend into one for me couldn't even tell where to start if I even wanted to.

#sausagefactoryfilmmaking.

These days yeah, I agree that seems to be the case.

I was on board with them up until about 10 years back - as in, I enjoyed the first couple of Spiderman films, loved Batman Begins, quite liked the first Ironman. But after that I zoned out when they started to become a production line.

I catch the odd one now and then but they seem to be the same template re-used again & again. Maybe I'm just getting too old and cynical for them.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:32 am

There's definitely a cookie-cutter aspect to some of them, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss them all for that. The last couple of years has produced some exceptional and, honestly, different superhero movies. They're not for everyone, but when anyone suggests to me that the superhero genre is dead, I look at what we've got in recent times and what's coming up in the near future and I can't draw anything like the same conclusion.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:37 am

Wrathbone wrote:There's definitely a cookie-cutter aspect to some of them, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss them all for that. The last couple of years has produced some exceptional and, honestly, different superhero movies. They're not for everyone, but when anyone suggests to me that the superhero genre is dead, I look at what we've got in recent times and what's coming up in the near future and I can't draw anything like the same conclusion.

Never said they were dead, they're just not my bag. For me they used to be a bit of occasional fun at the cinemas but they've become too ubiquitous, and indeed it absolutely boggles my mind how many different franchises and films in those franchises there are. I've no idea how people keep on top of it all, it feels a bit like a full-time job.

Maybe it's also a time-of-my-life thing. With family etc I get to go to the cinema maybe once a year. If that? I think our last trip to the flicks was Rogue One. Similarly with gaming, increasingly I'm finding I just don't get involved with things that look like they're going to be too much of a time and energy commitment, because it's a commodity I already have too little of.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:47 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Wrathbone wrote:There's definitely a cookie-cutter aspect to some of them, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss them all for that. The last couple of years has produced some exceptional and, honestly, different superhero movies. They're not for everyone, but when anyone suggests to me that the superhero genre is dead, I look at what we've got in recent times and what's coming up in the near future and I can't draw anything like the same conclusion.

Never said they were dead, they're just not my bag.

Oh, I know mate, but it's a phrase I hear bandied about quite a lot.

You're right about it taking a huge amount of time to keep up with everything, but I have no family ties so I can (and do) fill my hours with all kinds of nonsense.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 am

I really liked the Batman reboot. Watchmen was a good yarn. But other than those i havent bothered.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:02 am

Fast & Furious 8

Not only is this the worst movie of the series but it's also the very first one that my whole family severely disliked and were highly critical of when viewing as we literally struggled to see it through to the end. Losing Paul Walker has had a bigger impact than I ever anticipated it would and sorry but Scott Eastwood is no substitute here, not even close. Having not watched it at the cinema we picked it up on blu ray and sat down to watch it together for the first time and within 30 minutes we were debating if we should continue or not. Say what you will about outings such as Tokyo Drift (my families personal favourite and mine along with 5) but those movies at least have a soul and are engaging to actually watch. I will never watch this outing again as long as I live, it's pure trash.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

can't think of one

Postby can't think of one » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Prey wrote:Fast & Furious 8

Not only is this the worst movie of the series but it's also the very first one that my whole family severely disliked and were highly critical of when viewing as we literally struggled to see it through to the end. Losing Paul Walker has had a bigger impact than I ever anticipated it would and sorry but Scott Eastwood is no substitute here, not even close. Having not watched it at the cinema we picked it up on blu ray and sat down to watch it together for the first time and within 30 minutes we were debating if we should continue or not. Say what you will about outings such as Tokyo Drift (my families personal favourite and mine along with 5) but those movies at least have a soul and are engaging to actually watch. I will never watch this outing again as long as I live, it's pure trash.

Agreed! How can a film with awesome stars such as Jason Statham, Dwayne Johnson, and Kurt Russel be so dull! Probably a good idea they are getting their own spin-off since everyone else is either taking it too seriously or become tedious (seriously, Roman, you are not funny and you do fuck all for the team!) Also I know it's a fast and furious movie but its a bit daft that Statham's character is forgiven and at the dinner table at the end...Didn't he try to kill everyone in the last film and murdered one of the team? :lol:

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:30 pm

I didn't like the villain or the contrived way she got Dom to work for her, but I think it's a long way from being the worst. I felt the set pieces were still good and the stuff between Statham and the Rock was great with the baby fight scene being the highlight of the film. Tokyo Drift, 2Fast 2Furious and Fast and the Furious 2009 are all worse than the eighth film.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Tank

Postby Tank » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:14 am

Paddington 1 and 2

Utterly brilliant. Both of them. I feel like a better person for having seen them.

Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:32 am

Just watched 2 and felt that I'd lost valuable time out of my life for no gain.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Someone needs some marmalade
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:35 pm

I... I watched Commando again when it was on Film4 a couple of nights back.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:11 pm

Mega late to the Deadpool Party

That was brilliant. More of that please. Irreverent fun. =D>

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Jez wrote:Mega late to the Deadpool Party

That was brilliant. More of that please. Irreverent fun. =D>

Brilliant, isn't it? Like yourself I'm not really into the superhero flicks these days, but Deadpool was the exception. Proper laughs throughout.

The second one should be out fairly soon, looking forward to it.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film