Films I've just watched 2017

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
katarn

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby katarn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:38 am

Critically it was very well-received, but people I know who've seen it all say it was pretty poor.

It's why I haven't bothered getting round to watching it yet, I'm sure I'll catch it at some point. Bit of an oddity perhaps.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:53 am

the first 5 mins is superb with the use of old paintings to tell a legacy but the whole concept is just ridiculous

I was not going to see it but I was voted down. I have checked out of Marvel films and it looks like I will check out of DC films
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Jez wrote:I have no complaints about how the aliens looked myself, I sadly have no opinion on the main characters haircut I certainly wasn't offended by it :lol:.

I was enraged mate :lol: It reminded me of Simple Jack's haircut from Tropic Thunder. I was enjoying it pretty much until the aliens appeared, which is odd. I felt it just went downhill after that.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:16 pm

I thought Wonder Woman was quite good, certainly better than some of the Marvel stuff that Disney have been churning out.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:00 pm

WW was better than anything Marvel churned out with the exception of deadpool. But then again, I might think BvS is one of the best mainstream superhero movies in many years so... yeah ;)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:03 am

Passengers

I was actually enjoying it right up until fucking constant resting bitch face Jennifer Lawrence turned up and ruined it all. God she's irritating to the max. The alone time he had and the interactions between Chris Pratt and Michael Sheen were possibly my favourite bits.

Spoiler: show
Laurence Fishburne's bit was completely phoned in and just all out terrible. Hard to believe this was the same guy who once played the coolest Dad ever as Furious Styles back in Boyz n the Hood.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:31 pm

So vexing that the very same visionary who brought us the original movie also played out to be the one who brought about its lowest point.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Just to counter point the over the top nitpicking.

Disclosure: Yet to see the movie, yet to watch this video, but dude is usually on point with his opinions.
Will see the film next Monday. Will give my own thoughts then. :P
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:44 pm

Lowest point is kind of harsh, it definitely has some good bits in it.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:34 pm

So Cloud Atlas.

If any of you haven't seen and have Prime its on there now.

I know people don't like this movie but I think its definitely one of my favourite films. The story just rings with me for whatever reason and I love the characters and seeing them in different guises throughout the ages. It can be really lighthearted and funny one minute and pretty damned dark and sobering the next.

I don't think films this good and different come along all that often anymore, so the writer and the makers should be applauded for bringing a difficult and complex book to the screen. The music is great too.

Heres the Extended trailer with the music and such - its got 20 odd million views which I suppose says something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnAqFyaQ5s

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:31 am

Yeah, Cloud Atlas jibed with me as well. Think I posted about it in this thread somewhere many moons ago, always meant to watch it again to try to catch a lot of stuff I missed first time round, may well do that if it's on Prime now.

I read up a bit on it after viewing as I wasn't aware of the book, and had a Keanu Reeves-style 'woah' moment. Would like to see it again knowing more about what's going on.

I enjoyed it despite the film being slightly opaque in that it never overtly explains the deal with why the same actors keep appearing in different roles throughout time, but I don't think it's a failing of the film as such. I quite often like films that are a bit coy with its deeper meaning, like Donnie Darko etc, and that pretty much encourage repeated viewings to catch everything.
My face is tired.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:50 am

Kingsmen: The Golden Circle

I loved the first film, it was very original and great fun. This was a pretty pointless sequel if I'm honest and not that good. Over long, over use of bad cgi, crap villain and weak story. Has some great action sequences but wasn't enough to save it.

6/10

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Sly Boots wrote:I quite often like films that are a bit coy with its deeper meaning, like Donnie Darko etc, and that pretty much encourage repeated viewings to catch everything.

This I think is why I bounced off Cloud Atlas hard. I also like films where deeper meaning has to be explored and coaxed out, but crucially that meaning has to be effectively woven into an interesting and engaging surface narrative, otherwise it's just a puzzle to be solved rather than a story. I found the multiple surface stories of Cloud Atlas to be waffly and dull, and so for me to try and derive any deeper meaning from them would be nothing but an academic exercise.

Using my go-to example of LOTR, what if Frodo's quest to Mount Doom was instead about Frodo going to the post office with a very important form? You could conceivably weave deeper concepts of duty, friendship, even eucatastrophe into it (the traffic lights miraculously and unexpectedly turn green as the clock ticks to the post office closing time!), but I wouldn't care enough to explore them.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on Cloud Atlas. I'd like to give it another chance... I'm not sure the result will be any different, though.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:I quite often like films that are a bit coy with its deeper meaning, like Donnie Darko etc, and that pretty much encourage repeated viewings to catch everything.

This I think is why I bounced off Cloud Atlas hard. I also like films where deeper meaning has to be explored and coaxed out, but crucially that meaning has to be effectively woven into an interesting and engaging surface narrative, otherwise it's just a puzzle to be solved rather than a story. I found the multiple surface stories of Cloud Atlas to be waffly and dull, and so for me to try and derive any deeper meaning from them would be nothing but an academic exercise.

Using my go-to example of LOTR, what if Frodo's quest to Mount Doom was instead about Frodo going to the post office with a very important form? You could conceivably weave deeper concepts of duty, friendship, even eucatastrophe into it (the traffic lights miraculously and unexpectedly turn green as the clock ticks to the post office closing time!), but I wouldn't care enough to explore them.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on Cloud Atlas. I'd like to give it another chance... I'm not sure the result will be any different, though.

Sounds fair enough. I should qualify my statement above by saying I really have to be in the right mood to watch that kind of film, and have on several occasions sent back Lovefilm rentals unwatched because after a week I couldn't work up the requisite enthusiasm.
My face is tired.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:38 pm

Mother!
Certainly one of the most original things you'll see this year. Hes still way short of being the Lynch that he dreams of but its a valiant effort. His man problem is hes too heavy handed in his film making, for my tastes at least. One of the main reasons Requiem For A Dream is one of the worst films ever made (imo) is that its so heavy handed its just so damn laughable. Its not as blatant here, its an interesting film that goes places you wouldnt(couldnt) expect and its certainly worth watching..... just dont expect to like it.

The Ritual
Better than it should have been from the trailers I suppose (girlfriend immediately labeled it The "Decent with dicks") but thats not to say its good.... because its not. Its crap. Its just not so bad you want to throw up or anything.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film