Films I've just watched 2017

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
eVoL

Re: Films I've just watched 2017

Postby eVoL » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:46 pm

So Spiderman was ok. Usual unoffencive made by committee Marvel affair but man, fuck trailers! If you've seen the trailer you have seen the whole film. Not that there were huge twists but there was nothing that was surprising in it! Once more, fuck trailers!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies continue to reign supreme. Not just over the other Spider-Man movies, but comic book films in general.

Well, I've not seen the third one since 07, admittedly. :-k
End of an Era

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Keep it that way.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:31 pm

I need to watch Sam Raimi's Spiderman movies again (1 and 2 - I've never seen 3 and I gather that makes me more fortunate than those who have). It's been a good chunk of years since I last saw them, and while I enjoyed them I was never enraptured by them in the way that many people seem to be. Doc Oc in particular did very little for me. Then Andrew Garfield came along and bored me, and finally Tom Holland brought Spiderman into the MCU. Based solely on his performance in Civil War, Tom Holland is my Spiderman. Hopefully I'll see Homecoming this week and I really want it to live up to my expectations. If it doesn't, I will be a sad Spiderfan. :(
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Spiderman: Homecoming

Did it live up to my expectations? No. It took my expectations and blew them to pieces. Not everyone will feel the same, but I LOVED this movie, so much that it's finally dethroned Avengers Assemble as my favourite MCU movie. The comedy is pitch perfect, the action is engaging and the story is precisely what it should be: not another origin story, but a proper coming-of-age high-school story with stakes I care about that have actual consequences. Not having to deal with all the origin crap lets it get off to a running start, and it maintains that momentum. And just in case all that isn't enough, it's ridiculously entertaining the entire way through. I had a massive grin for maybe 70-80% of the time. There was exactly one thing I didn't like about it, and it was a minor plot point that honestly doesn't matter. For me this isn't just a good Spiderman movie, it's THE Spiderman movie. What a triumph.

10/10

Oh, and the best bits?

Spoiler: show
The Captain America pep talk videos! I'd happily watch 2 hours just of those. :lol:

The bit that I didn't like:

The massive coincidence that the bad guy he's hunting just happens to be his prom date's dad. It doesn't really matter that much, but there has to be a better way they could have handled that.

Photos!

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:17 pm

War for the Planet of the Apes

Last part of the excellent reboot of a classic film. The opening scene is fantastic and really sets the tone of the film which is dark and often pretty miserable in places (its either raining, overcast or snowing the entire film). Set a few years after the previous film with apes and humans now in all out war with each other. The CGI on the apes is truly amazing, one character in particular is just jaw droppinginly realistic. The ability of the film to make most of the characters who only communicate in grunts and sign language to emote and have an individual presence is again nothing short of amazing.

The film does lag in places and the middle chunk does drag a little if I'm honest and the ending then feels rushed. But as a whole it is a great film and well worth a look. There are some brilliant references to the original film that are mostly subtle. If you liked the first 2 then this won't disappoint.

8.5/10

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:14 am

It Comes At Night
Feels like it owes a big debt to The Witch. It's an atmospheric, small scale, clostrophobic, zero exposition, kind of slow but not to its detriment. I really liked it. It feels natural and people behave like people under these circumstances.

Basically there's a family in their home in the woods. They've isolated themselves because of something that is happening out in the world and they're doing what they can to protect each other.

I think it's worth seeing though the missus wasn't as high on it - still liked it, just less than me.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Watched Logan the other night. Feels like I need to give it another watch.
Let's just say that I enjoyed it, but still felt a bit like I had been punched in the gut.

Saw Headshot as well.
Being an Indonesian martial arts movie starring Iko Uwais, of course I'm going to compare it to The Raid.

Sadly, It doesn't stack up to either of those films. It lacks the vision, focus or precision. It tries to pull a Borne Identity manoeuvre, with amnesia and a romantic interest, but, really, nothing outside of the act of the baddies being bad and the good guy beating people up has much weight to it.
And, goodness me, dudes get beaten up real good. It's much less showy with it's fighting, instead going for a heavier brawl feeling. Nothing super fancy or jaw-dropping in it's choreography, but it certainly looks good. And it's a fine example of how to do shaky cam well, with the long takes and camera movements that accentuate the brutality instead of obscuring it.

So, yeah, it's alright. Good for putting on "the best bits".
End of an Era

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Fast and Furious 8

Possibly the most unintentionally funny film in the series, which almost makes up for the rest of being utter bollocks. They even get one of the characters to scream "What the hell is going on?" during the finale. Also Vin Diesel made this face during an acting stunt and I'm still laughing
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Do they bother to explain Paul Walker's character not being in it anymore?

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:42 am

War For The Planet Of The Apes
Bad title.... its more a skirmish for a small area of woods of the planet of the apes. The small scale actually made it feel like a TV episode and the base looked a bit shonky in that TV way. I was expecting something a little more grand in scale but its pretty good. Some real cracking CGI face work though body work can look a little ropey especially on horseback which looks crap! The comedy relief was a bit too overdone, a little toning down there would have worked wonders. The ending with the "snow" is fuuuuuucking awful! Other than that though its a real good little adventure that can bring the feels. The apes were really well realised and humanised though maybe they deserved to kick a little more ass.

Two instances of product placement were galling. One shot where they are walking through the woods and theres no other vehichles at all except for a massive Coca Cola lorry which we get a perfectly framed shot of for what felt like a long ass time as our heroes saunter leisurely past. Second is where a most valuable charm is found and given overly long screen time (and annoyingly plot time) in the form of a Chevy badge. I honestly thought they were going to do a toothwhite glint off the bloody thing. Those and the slapstick really took me out of it.

For those who have seen it, dont you think the ending would have been much better if....
the white guys took off their masks and happened to be apes? You see so little of them in the assault that I figured that was the way it was going. It wouldnt have been great but it would have been better than the stupid snow.

The Beguiled
One of the worst films Ive seen in the cinema. Colin Farrell is the cleanest, most perfectly groomed soldier ever to have seen battle in fact or fiction. The dialogue is stilted and unnatural. The editing is horrendous and for some reason Colin can teleport! Its the only explanation for how he can do half the things he does like the scene at the gate with the little girl. Final two scenes were well done but man the rest is bad. No fault of the actors, I think theyre doing what they can with what they have. Most of this has to fall of Coppola.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:55 am

My film plan for this week:

Tonight (after Game of Thrones): Logan. I have no idea where I'll land on this one and know very little about the story, so not sure what to expect.

Tomorrow: La La Land. One of the least sensitive friends I have said it made him cry, so being the frequent film-weeper that I am, I expect this will destroy me. :lol:

Wednesday: Captain America (1990). I'm led to believe this is godawful, but apparently it has a scene where Captain America steals a car. Frankly I'm more excited for this than the other two.

Photos!

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:28 am

Logan

Powerful and traumatic. It's a dose of harsh reality cast over the superhero mythos, and the fact that it works so well is a credit to everyone involved. I don't know if I can say this is my favourite Patrick Stewart performance because it's so upsetting at times, but I think it may be his greatest. There are certain films, the most obvious of which is Schindler's List, where the basic act of watching them again knowing what you're going to put yourself through says more about the human condition than most films do in their entirety. Logan is one of those films.

Photos!

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:46 am

Been watching The Matrix trilogy again. Felt like the time was right.

The Matrix

Continues to hold it's title as an End of the Millennium classic. Did my best to forgot the years of parody and imitation that followed in it's wake and focused on just how fresh this was. Sure, it's got the shades of Dark City about it, but the whole vaguely cyberpunk with apocalyptic twist and heavy influence from 90s anime was one hell of thing at the time. Still full of great stunts, action and visuals. All the one liners and monologues hold up.

Still just a damn good film and works perfectly as a stand alone.

The Matrix Reloaded

I'm shocked at how much I enjoyed watching this movie again. Not exactly regarded as an all time great, but it certainly falls into romp territory for me. Almost managed to maintain a stupid, unironic grin throughout whole thing. Some of those action set pieces are still a thrill. Utterly shameless wire-fu choreography set to the most 00s soundtrack possible. And as much as I talk crap about Blade 2 for it's CGI humans, I start to wonder if people have zero joy in their lives if they get upset by the uncanny valley that the Neo vs Agent Smiths fight plunges into. I don't know. Maybe I'm just bad at enjoying films. That wacky nonsense gives me a giddy thrill.

Oh, and it's so far up it's own ass I love it. What's wrong with me? A critical lack of taste, it seems.

-

Let's see how the final film holds up. :)
End of an Era

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:15 am

Somewhere along the line people decided that enjoying a film (or book, or game, etc) is the same as it being competently made. It's not; the two are barely linked. There are films I love which I recognise as being terrible (e.g. Hercules in New York) and films I don't enjoy that I recognise as being masterpieces (e.g. Schindler's List). Logan is a good example of the latter, as I can't say I enjoyed it but it was excellent in almost every regard.

Being able to say you love something when you know it's far from perfect isn't a weakness, it's one of the strongest critical skills you can have.

Photos!

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film