Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Younglings. If Star Wars hadn't been dead to me when Jar-Jar showed up, it would have been then.
My face is tired.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:44 pm

Nethlyn wrote:I'm on hype avoidance now until I watch it, so not bothering with that final trailer, it's one month and ten days to go.

Put it this way, unlike Bond I didn't have a sleepless night rushing this review out, and am torn between 2D Imax when watching it next time vs just going the traditional route and seeing it at the Odeon Leicester Square.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Midi-chlorians. The reading is off the chart, over twenty thousand. Not even master Yoda has a reading that high.

...Nobody has.

There's just far too many hilariously bad quotes to mention so I shall just copy and paste this I found instead...

“Yousa thinking yousa people ganna die?”
“I don’t care what universe you’re from, that’s got to hurt!”
“Love won’t save you, Padme. Only my new powers can do that.”
“…Don’t try it, Anakin. I have the high ground!”
“There’s always a bigger fish.”
“I’m haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me.”
“Are you an angel?”
“I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.”
“Ye gods, whatta meesa sayin’?”
“I sense Count Dooku.”
“Ani? My goodness, you’ve grown!”
“How wude!”
“I can’t take Dooku alone! I need you!”
“I’ve been wondering… what are midi-chlorians?”
“Chesco, Sebulba. Chipoka oomen geesa. Me teesa radical fbombati chop chawa.”
“I have the POWER! UNLIMITED… POWER!”
“Droidekas!”
“Uh! So uncivilized.”
“Now this is pod racing!”
“So this is how liberty dies… with thunderous applause.”
“…It is only natural. He cut off your arm, and you wanted revenge.”
“Always two there are, no more, no less.”
“Mom, you said that the biggest problem in the universe is no one helps each other.”
“He owes me what you’d call a ‘life-debt.’ Your gods demand that his life belongs to me.”
“From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!”
“I thought we had decided not to fall in love. That we’d be forced to live a lie and that it would destroy our lives.”
“A vergence, you say?”
“Now that I’m with you again, I’m in agony. My heart is beating, hoping that that kiss will not become a scar.”
“No loose wire jokes.”
“Your mother had gone out early, like she always did, to pick mushrooms that grow on the vaporators.”
“For reasons we can’t explain, we are losing her.”
“…Well, then you really are lost!”
“He said… you killed younglings!”
“What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we have been fighting to destroy?”
“I have waited a long time for this moment, my little green friend.”
“…I’ll try spinning. That’s a good trick. Whoa-ah!”
“Train yourself to let go… of everything you fear to lose.”
“There was no father. I carried him, I gave birth, I raised him. I can’t explain what happened.”
“You were banished because you were clumsy?”
“You are in my very soul, tormenting me…”
“…We used to come here for school retreat. We would swim to that island every day. I love the water. We used to lie out on the sand and let the sun dry us and try to guess the names of the birds singing.”
“At an end your rule is, and not short enough was it.”
“Ray shields!”
“Just being around her again is… intoxicating.”
“Your new Empire?”
“Symbionts?”
“They live inside me?”
“I don’t understand.”
“Your presence is soothing.”
“…We live in a real world, come back to it. You’re studying to become a Jedi, I’m… I’m a senator.”
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:32 pm

I saw it 12 hours ago now and I'm still buzzing. Not had that from a film in a long time.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:13 pm

The film has now made a massive $517,000,000 worldwide in its first three days. Holy cow.

Biggest Thursday preview ($57 million)
Biggest Friday and single day gross ($120.5 million)
First movie to make $100+ million in one day
Fastest to $100 million and $200 million
New December opening weekend record (previous was The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey at a lowly $84.6 million)
Biggest IMAX Thursday night preview ($5.7 million), single day ($14 million on Friday), and weekend ($30.1 million)
Highest per theater average for wide release ($57,568)

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-7-box-o ... g-weekend/

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars7.htm

Still not seen it yet myself.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:36 pm

cannot get seats myself - every screening in the Winnersh cinema (my local) is booked out. There are some single seats but I want to take the misses. Might have to wait for the New Year to see empty seats come up
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Wargame: European Escalation / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:47 am

I think my local basically booked out all but one screen (out of 4) to show nothing but star wars for the first few days, so the screening we went to was quite quiet. We purposely went to a late showing to avoid the younger kids.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:58 am

Was totally going to go see this on the sly today under the pretense of work (missus has no love for Sci fi). But after a nasty xmas meal a few days ago I don't have confidence in my ass containment ability. So yeah. Gutted.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:15 pm

Well I did get to see this today and took my three kids to watch it with me and just got back home from the VUE showing Bury some twenty minutes ago...

What a massive disappointment.

I won't go into just why right now as I'm hungry but let it be known while it is an improvement over the prequels (how could it possibly not be?) I still think overall the film was severely flawed and fell far too much into the realms of tribute movie than actually being its own movie.

Kylo Ren was terrible coming across as a spoilt kid who constantly threw temper tantrums and Adam Driver was completely miscast I felt. Rey while decent enough just wasn't good enough to carry the majority of the film on her shoulders as she was meant to -the amount of lengthy lingering shots on her eyeballs was beyond ludicrous. Meanwhile Captain Phasma was laughably underused and not at all the character we were expecting the first ever primed female stormtrooper to be.

Finn saved the movie for me. Thank goodness for Finn.

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:39 pm

:shock:

Now I really want to see this.
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Wargame: European Escalation / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

sohei

Postby sohei » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:16 pm

Prey wrote:Well I did get to see this today and took my three kids to watch it with me and just got back home from the VUE showing Bury some twenty minutes ago...

What a massive disappointment.

I won't go into just why right now as I'm hungry but let it be known while it is an improvement over the prequels (how could it possibly not be?) I still think overall the film was severely flawed and fell far too much into the realms of tribute movie than actually being its own movie.

Kylo Ren was terrible coming across as a spoilt kid who constantly threw temper tantrums and Adam Driver was completely miscast I felt. Rey while decent enough just wasn't good enough to carry the majority of the film on her shoulders as she was meant to -the amount of lengthy lingering shots on her eyeballs was beyond ludicrous. Meanwhile Captain Phasma was laughably underused and not at all the character we were expecting the first ever primed female stormtrooper to be.

Finn saved the movie for me. Thank goodness for Finn.

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Seconded. Went to see this in Blackburn, and thought it was staggeringly dull. I'm no fanboy of StarWars, and thought I had realistic expectations of a fun space jaunt that would tip its hat to the original trilogy. However I thought the writing was weak, the storyline lacking any real depth. The source of Ren's temper tantrums and general angsty behaviour wasn't sufficiently explored, so he just seemed a bit of a brat. The gags came a bit too frequently, especially given dark tones of the opening scenes. The acting all seemed to be a bit lacking in conviction. I could go on, and given the enthusiastic respnonse across the board for this movie, perhaps I'm being over critical. But I just couldn't find much to enjoy about this film. If anything it seemed to highlight just how old the original trilogy is. What worked 30 years ago just doesn't seem to wash nowadays. Some of the writing was so unoriginal it was just embarrassing.
Anyway, that's my grumpy two cents. I hope everyone else enjoys it more than I did. My Mum thought it was great.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:32 am

I couldn't imagine someone having a more opposite reaction to my own. I'd be interested in you expanding your thoughts on the bad writing/acting in the spoiler thread?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

sohei

Postby sohei » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:55 am

I may well do that, old chap. Watch this space. I'm genuinely glad you enjoyed it ; I take no pleasure in my dissatisfaction.
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.00Ghz , 32 Gb Kingston HyperX Fury, Asus Radeon R9 295X2 8GB, Samsung 500gb SSD, Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:42 am

Yep that sums up how I came away from this too although I knew I did enjoy it in small waves here and there I still felt very dissatisfied with what I'd just sat through. Even my two son's aged 15 and 18 felt exactly as I did which if anything made me feel even worse about the whole situation while traveling back home.

To clear a few things up I will say that Daisy Ridley was a great choice for Rey and I did find myself captivated by her during the earliest moments of the movie which is always a good start. Being a simple junker who turns down her biggest pay day to keep BB-8 safe was rather inspiring and there was definitely some great chemistry going on between her and Finn - the overly excited exchange they shared on the falcon for example. The issues I had with the writing of her character began when she started through the awakening process as it became more and more unbelievable that she was seemingly developing her powers more out of pure convenience than anything else. Luke struggled to master even the most basic of Jedi skills early on while going through the exact same process as Rey did. Yes it's a new trilogy but I'd still like to have seen some genuine aspect of Rey trying and failing just as Luke did that would instill in her future learning that would then come across as more justified and believable.

Touching on that Falcon scene a moment that entire scene where the bandits or whatever finally chase down Han and Chewie aboard the ship was awful, just awful. It felt so utterly fan made I couldn't stop myself laughing throughout and was definitely one of the first most glaring low points of the film. Poor writing, action, characters, cgi you name it. That entire scene deserved to be cut from the movie. The films length would have felt all the better for it.

Before we know it not only is Rey taking on a long term battle hardened enemy in the form of Kylo "baby pram" Ren but Finn who uses a lightsaber for the very first time does too. I was fully expecting to see these two characters go on a true journey of self discovery yet was actually met with two intertwining characters that were nothing but accidental heroes who both went from zero to hero with very little believable merit to actually back them up because every scenario they encountered was rather unrealistically overcome. Yet we're meant to believe these two can accomplish anything together.

Kylo himself obviously becomes more interesting as time goes on but he's never truly allowed to be shown as a character who can control his own destiny and therefore that of his enemies as lord Vader did before him and did so in such a way that you almost wanted him to succeed. When he's not having tantrums that often simply act as silly comedic anecdotes he's utterly failing as someone who is meant to be held in such regard as part of The First Order. I've never known a movie attempt to set up a character such as this who clearly states they wish to continue the works of someone who came before ie Vader and yet so willfully discredits them at every opportunity at the exact same time. It was so jarring to watch unfold on screen - then the helmet comes off and an amazingly dorky looking cosplayer is on screen attempting to and still failing to be a character of any true note.

I'd honestly say the scenes surrounding Maz Kanata were actually my favourite of the entire film which was unexpected to say the least. Although in turn it was then tied to Rey's rather silly running away from responsibility while running through the woods scene. :lol:

One thing I was truly hoping for throughout was great dialogue, not just great but memorable. That was something that made the original trilogy so great and still does to this very day but I can honestly say the writing on this film was only ever serviceable without ever really trying to create a moment that would stay with us long after we'd left. I expected so much more. We deserved so much more.

All in all TFA tries so hard to set a new standard while graciously giving a nod or ten thousand to the original Trilogy. However this approach only serves to help the movie feel like a movie very much out of time with itself as J.J. Abrams ties it all down with a weighted anchor that never allows us to escape that ever present sense of over burdening over familiarity. What should have helped strengthen the film then rather annoyingly actually caused it to turn out to be a pretty weak spring board for a new trilogy and one that everyone else seems to be clamoring over one another to praise to the high heavens when it isn't really all that deserving of it in reality.

Also ducktrooper bobbleheads.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:15 am

Luke steered two proton torpedoes into the Death Star's exhaust port after having a little bit of sense training. He pulled his lightsaber out of the ice on Hoth without any tutoring. Young Anakin was able to pod race without even knowing he was force sensitive. Clearly some people develop force talents without any prior knowledge.

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film