Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Subway Diet

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:05 am

Quietman wrote:So you like VII and Rogue One but not the original trilogy?
Would need to watch them again to make sure. The problem being that I'm holding out for better Blu-Ray versions.
A lot of the changes I can let slide, but my soul withers every time I think about the musical number in Jabba's Palace.
End of an Era

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Isn't that about 30 seconds long?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:14 am

I mean, the song itself sucks, but it's also the most egregious slathering of crap, mood-destroying CGI that was added to any of the newer versions.

vs

It was meant to be music from a rough sounding house band, not the singing, dancing centre of the whole scene.

Haha. Maybe my wording was a bit too dramatic? I'm not a scorned fanboy. Just someone who doesn't like this nonsense change. :P
End of an Era

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:22 am

But Rogue One had a CGI dead actor

second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 am

I'd argue that the CGI Tarkin was a necessary part of Rogue One - he forms a large part of Krennic's motivation, and given his role in A New Hope which follows mere hours afterwards, he realistically had to be there on the Death Star. Besides, I thought they did an amazing job with him.

The CGI musical number in Jabba's palace is both awful and entirely unnecessary. It was just another example of Lucas finding some unused footage that he'd cut twenty years earlier and deciding to force it back into the film.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:42 pm

I thought Tarkin would only have a small cameo appearance in Rogue One and was pretty surprised at how much time he actually got. Having rewatched it since the first time at the cinema I still think it's pretty damn impressive, the voice in particular is just so close.

Rogue One has some very ropey dialogue and a rough first hour or so, but I think it might just be my favourite Star Wars movie now. Everything after they've landed on Scarif is just brilliant. Episode 7 didn't stand up to a second viewing anywhere near as well.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Yeah, I really enjoyed Rogue One, 7 didn't leave any kind of impression on me I'm afraid.

Was very surprised my sister and brother in law, who I went to see the former with, said they didn't really like it and preferred 7.
My face is tired.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:24 pm

It's not too hard to imagine preferences falling to either side.

Will be showing my parents Rogue One later this week and I'm pretty sure they'll be turned off by the harder edged, less campy version of the Star Wars universe. I mean, I wouldn't want to be presumptuous, but based on how much they enjoyed the lighter, funnier touches in Ep VII, I'm not sure how much they'll buy into this.
Spoiler: show
(Hope they'll at least appreciate Darth Vader going all out at the end.)

Also:

My goodness! A Youtube film guy who actually makes you feel kind of good for enjoying films? :shock:
End of an Era

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed May 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Tried to give TFA another shot last night. I can't. I just can't. The opening ten minutes of the movie are so bad I was struggling right from the off and even with the inclusion of Rey which normally carries the film for me I turned it off some 30 minutes in. I know some people think J.J's Star Trek movies are nothing special but fuck me are they infinitely more watchable.

The Forced Acting Awakens. :P

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed May 03, 2017 4:45 pm

Still can't figure out what it is that rubs you the wrong way. :-k

Haha. If anything, I've only come to enjoy it more after watching the rest of the films.
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri May 05, 2017 7:11 am

I have a similar-ish position to Dave. I enjoyed both films in the cinema on first watching (although Darth Tantrum did test my patience, and was poorly conceived - why did he have teenage tantrums and why the hell did they have him walk about unmasked), however neither have stood up to a re-watch. I have watched 4-6 so often and love them, but 7 and 7.5 even though set in the same period left me completely cold second time around.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sat May 06, 2017 1:02 am

3.5, not 7.5
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat May 06, 2017 9:31 am

Snowy wrote:I have a similar-ish position to Dave. I enjoyed both films in the cinema on first watching (although Darth Tantrum did test my patience, and was poorly conceived - why did he have teenage tantrums and why the hell did they have him walk about unmasked), however neither have stood up to a re-watch. I have watched 4-6 so often and love them, but 7 and 7.5 even though set in the same period left me completely cold second time around.

Same opinion for me here.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:06 pm

With eight days to go and Force Awakens being on UK Netflix I might give it another stream, I did one rental last year to watch it a second time and didn't need to go mad for it with seven viewings at the flicks like I did with Star Wars and Return.

Rogue One was the fun "Bridge of Bothan Spies" with that Tom Cruise Mission Impossible In the Star Wars Universe feel that I was looking for so I'd more likely rewatch that more often.

With one week to go I notice there's been the two sponsored ads with the razors and the Meerkats, but the proper trailers seem to have been left to YouTube, either that or I've dodged them whenever they've been on.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:27 pm

Got my midnight ticket again. The impression I'm getting from the trailers and marketing in general is that the story will have major implications for Star Wars as a whole - much more than TFA did. My predictions, and spoilered on the unlikely chance I turn out to be right!

Spoiler: show
Luke wants to end the Jedi - that much is in the trailer. The reason I think he wants to end the Jedi is that they're too restrictive in their dogma,
which is ultimately what caused Anakin to turn to the dark side (that and tantrums), and may well be why Kylo Ren went bananas. I think it also has something to do with the ideas proposed at the end of the excellent and lengthy http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/ which says that Darth Vader's redemption at the end of RotJ was due to him rising above the eternal conflict between the light and dark sides of the force. That is what brought balance to the force, and, I would guess, is what Luke began to teach his students, and Snoke exploited it.

Rey's parentage I fully expect to be dealt with in The Last Jedi, but I don't believe they're important or anyone we know. I think the important bit is who Rey is:
I think she's Anakin Skywalker reborn. The force has awoken (do you see what I did there? :) ) in conflict and balance has to be restored again. It would also make it really interesting when Kylo Ren finds out, given his worship of Vader, and would explain the odd look Luke gives her at the end of TFA (assuming he already knows).
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film