Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Solitaire

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Postby Solitaire » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm

I went to the theater last week and saw this, with about ten other folk total in the room. I'm really not impressed - I was so bored throughout that I was just hoping for the credits so I could get up and go home. The main plot device (involving the ships) was utterly ridiculous. Exactly one attempted joke made me giggle for a moment; the rest made me cringe for the actors, especially for poor Luke, considering the gravitas his once legendary role brings to this movie. As a few have commented already, the 'force facetime' bits were totally ridiculous, like something from a bad off-Broadway play, not to mention the forced attraction to one another. Ugh. If only someone would make a SW movie for adults and give the canon the respect it deserves - would be the best franchise in history.

My signature is like a time capsule from the Wild West of the internet :o

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:02 pm

Not to be all protective about it but the damned series has completely lost the plot now I've had time and a second viewing behind it. But then I suppose Disney don't really care...they made mugs like me go twice eh!!

It's not awful but by God it's stupid in many places bad in others and pretty good elsewhere. Its like they outsourced the various plotlines and characters to different companies and smashed them all together in the cutting room and hoped for best. The worst for me in no particular order...as soli says the stupid plot surrounding the whole ship chasing fucktowhat. Flying Leia being Mary flippin poppins. Force facetime. Snoke killedtofuck before anyone could even remotely give a shit about him while his guards were far more of a fight. Luke doing the force facetime to "rescue" everyone and then bowing out like a fuckin punk.

Stupid.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:47 pm

I would rather watch the prequels than Last Jedi again. It was both stupid and awful in my opinion. Schlocky, lazy writing, bad character development, bad characters in general, utterly off the mark attempts at humour, overly long subplots that end up being pointless. The whole movie is just dross.

The prequels have a significant number of problems, they're pretty bad really; but at least they had a sense of epic scale and gravitas that the original movies managed. TLJ is just two hours of irritating people shouting at each other.

The only good thing to come out of Disney's ownership of this franchise so far is the last thirty minutes of Rogue One.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:41 pm

Nodding my head so much my neck hurts.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:56 am

Saw this back in December with my wife and brothers-and-sisters-in-law in Tennessee, as we have done for the past three years.

I thought it was good. Not awesome, but all right. Not as good as The Force Awakens, not as good as Rogue One, but still good. I think all three of these past Christmas releases since 2015 have suffered from "bloat"; extra planets/characters added in for no apparent reason other than to make the Star Wars universe seem bigger/varied than it has otherwise been depicted, but contributing nothing to the story.

I think it had some enjoyable scenes. I loved the fight in Snoke's throne-room. But there were too many boring or pointless scenes and characters which brought down the overall quality. Also, Luke's "return" to the franchise was anti-climatic to say the least. Mark Hamill seemed as happy to be back in the story as Luke was to be found again.

Previous

Return to TV & Film