The Blu Room

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Subway Diet

Re: The Blu Room

Postby Subway Diet » Mon May 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Traded in my recent copy of The Bourne Identity towards getting the Complete Bourne Collection. I had only intended to keep a copy of the first film but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted the whole lot. Even if Legacy is meant to be a bit duff, it's more high-action spy thriller, so it can't really go too wrong... right?

Also got a cheap Danny Boyle Collection box set. 127 Hours, 28 Days Later, Sunshine and Slumdog Millionaire. Would have liked Trainspotting or Shallow Grave over the notoriously low-res 28 Days Later but I can't complain for the price.

On the way are some classic 80s fairy tale films. The Princess Bride, Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal. I'm looking forward to whimsy and creepy puppets. :D
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon May 13, 2013 6:34 pm

Oh man, The Dark Crystal is like one of my favourite movies ever. Didn't even realise there was a Blu Ray version.

zwingly

Postby zwingly » Mon May 13, 2013 6:38 pm

Subway Diet wrote:I'd totally rid myself of DVDs if it wasn't for the fact a few films are not out on HD formats, not out in the UK or just kind of crappy in their release.

Robocop is one of my favorite films, but I can't bring myself to drop the snazzy, extras packed trilogy box set I've got for the bare-bones, and supposedly sub-par quality Blu Ray. I hold out hope that when the naff looking remake comes out, they'll give it the deluxe treatment, like with Total Recall when it's modern interpretation came about.

There are many other films I would jump at buying again that are in the same boat. :(

I'm still holding out for a decent RoboCop blu-ray transfer as well. Thankfully, my other favourite 1980s cyborg film (http://tinyurl.com/cftamql) has a very nice transfer indeed.

I always thought they dubbed the guy in this scene, who appeared to just react open mouthed rather than say anything. Well, the blu ray confirms it! Not that you'd notice from the crappy youtube vid below.

Sadly, it's missing the original mono audio track, which seems a strange thing to leave out seeing as some of the various dvd releases have it included.

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Im sorely tempted to rip the video from the latest scan of Terminator and couple that with the mono soundtrack ive got on my much cherished dvd version. It would be a pet project and id lose all that dts loveliness but...dat mono ^_^

Mantis wrote:Oh man, The Dark Crystal is like one of my favourite movies ever. Didn't even realise there was a Blu Ray version.

And its a good one too. :D And Ridley Scotts Legend which is just lush.
Will debase self for credits.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu May 16, 2013 9:21 am

I've got a problem.

New pick-ups:

Spider-Man Trilogy
The Master
The Wrestler
28 Weeks Later
Blade

Really got to stop buying films and watch some of them instead. :|
End of an Era

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Thu May 16, 2013 9:51 am

Subway Diet wrote:Really got to stop buying films and watch some of them instead. :|

That's why I slowed it right down. From your first really big list on page 1 I'm only getting Serenity now that it's my most watched DVD - seen it at least 15 times, partly due to Universal's looping auto-start that they put on their discs.

Unless I've watched a film as much as Serenity I'm trying to avoid rebuying DVDs. However the Damon Bourne films are on average £10.50 in a set now, and despite ITV showings looking better than the DVDs, they've got breaks. So £3.50 per film on BD sells itself.

I don't see it as a problem if the discs and packaging are in good enough quality for you to flog them all over again Subby, just watch and sell on.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu May 16, 2013 10:49 am

That's the plan. Been whittling my way down the list, being super critical of each film I finish. Trying to keep the collection at least somewhat curated.

Already gotten shot of the historical Ridley Scott dramas. Turns out I'm not that into him when he's not doing modern day thrillers, fantasy or sci-fi.
A few of the films I've bought I know are classics and favorites of mine, but others were picked up on nostalgia alone. I'll have to see if the likes of Blade still hold up. Watched that damn movie loads of times on TV and DVD when I was a teenager. Hopefully it's not aged as badly as most other edgy comic movies from the period. Fingers crossed. :P
End of an Era

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:22 am

Talk about two ends of the spectrum! :mrgreen:
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:26 am

Yeah, Inception is shite.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:28 am

BWAAAAAAAAARM!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:00 am

Heh. I did like it a lot actually, I just can't resist an obvious gag.
My face is tired.

Boomshaka

Postby Boomshaka » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:36 pm

And I did quite enjoy battleship...

I dont know who i am anymore!
Will debase self for credits.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:32 pm

Battleship is actually good fun, it's a dumb film and it's was made that way to be entertaining.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Hooray, well thank fuck for that. Sometimes you just want to throw a no brainer into your player and have some dumb ass fun with cool looking aliens, splodes and rihanna trying to act. I think Peter Berg delivered on all counts hence the reason it's to be part of my coveted blu collection. Pretty much the perfect come down after taking in Inception I reckon.

Boomshaka wrote:And I did quite enjoy battleship...

I dont know who i am anymore!

^_^

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Just discovered this guy and gotta say he's got a pretty good taste in movies...

PreviousNext

Return to TV & Film